All About Watches

I didn't know this one: very interesting. Honestly I find the dial too busy, but the case shape is just perfect.
The dial is busy, but in keeping with the railroad style.

Wish I had bought that 4 or 5 years ago now. If I remember right it was about €1400, well worth it and would be in my watch rotation today.

Some men have just one piece, no matter cheap or expensive, others love to build a collection. Of course wealthy people can afford more expensive watches, but you can be happy also with mid-range ones. Some collectors are more interested in vintage, others wear only new time-keepers. Furthermore there are guys who continuously buy and sell their pieces and others who never or hardly separate from their jewels. Some are looking for the "final" watch, the coronation of a collection, others like to have several pieces to alternate and to match with different outfits and show in different occasions. I think that every strategy is respectable, as long as it makes one happy.
The buzz word was an ''exit watch'' awhile back. That one watch which you'll buy and sport for all seasons and make all others redundant. Well, if you like watches, one watch will never be enough.

Most wealthy people I know are not into watches at all, or bespoke suits, shirts or shoes. All these things are minority sports. They all have expensive luxury cars mind you.

I enjoy choice, also in a rotation items last longer.I also wouldn't want to wear a dive watch to a funeral.
There comes a time, when dress and heritage military watches are the way to go. You can turn up at four weddings and funeral without the bling factor.
In Italy a popular and appreciated brand Eberhard is almost unknown elsewhere. I have this Extra-Fort Grande Date with a peculiar cream-rose dial:

View attachment 37415
Italians are a great watch owning nation.
waiting on it to be shipped. hopefully the new one will work

maybe, maybe not. maybe the idea of having three or four $400 watches is more appealing than having one $1200 watch. some people like variety.

i know we like to be aspirational on this forum, and god knows we need it sometimes, but not everyone has the means to be able to do so. i'd like a fucking rolex. i dont have $10k sitting around to be able to buy one.
Back in the day, it was a big status symbol in my industry to have a Rolex. It was a sign you had worked abroad in the Middle East on top dollar tax free and had paid off your mortgage. It became a caricature of contractors chasing the money and quickly went out of vogue.

The Daytona thing is still around. One of my business associates bought one about 2 years ago, to celebrate how great business was doing. One of the new ones and yes, it looks magnificent. But you can't wear that at street level here in the Netherlands, you start flashing that around in The Hague or in Amsterdam and you will get robbed. You don't want a watch you have to hide.

The Daytona is a bit like the Porsche thing: middle aged dudes buy one, for several months it gives them a buzz and they flip it, realising this was not the answer they were looking for.
I have an Eterna, which could be or definitely was a competitor to Zenith and Omega. I would happily get a Zenith if priced right. Do I want to join the drug dealers with their Omega's and Rolex's?
Not really. I would prefer an AP, JLC, Breguet, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, or Girard-Perregaux. But then I would have to give up the high class hookers and drugs. Okay, Deliveroo and vacations in Croatia.
Chronomaster in the UK, often has very good priced El Primero Rainbow Flybacks, but I am reliably informed in the early 2000's the QC and movements were not good. So be careful when buying second hand.

In the 2000's my Kazakh colleagues all wore Longines. It intrigued me, as they were all connected and part of the elite of their country and I thought they would all be wearing Rolex and above. Eventually, I found out that after the fall of the Soviet Union the first Western watch brand in was Longines and that had a big cache amongst the elite of Kazakhstan and remained so.

For me, if I see someone wearing a watch I'm interested in, I will speak to that person. That could be in a lift, in a break from a meeting or in a bar, or whatever. People like that by the way.

The buzz word was an ''exit watch'' awhile back. That one watch which you'll buy and sport for all seasons and make all others redundant. Well, if you like watches, one watch will never be enough.
Yes, "exit watch" was the definition. A watch lover will never have that only exit watch, he may have one favourite, but always among other pieces.

Yes, "exit watch" was the definition. A watch lover will never have that only exit watch, he may have one favourite, but always among other pieces.

Now people who collect watches often refer to their "grail watch" (ie like the holy grail, something they are seeking). They try to convince themselves that once they find their grail, they won't need anything else.

Of course, because collecting these things - whether it's shoes, clothes, watches, cars or something else - is typically psychological, getting their grail rarely satisfies them and they simply replace the idea of that grail with another grail. Finally got an AP Royal Oak? Great - now it's time to get a PP Nautilus...

Wish I had bought that 4 or 5 years ago now. If I remember right it was about €1400, well worth it and would be in my watch rotation today.
Pretty faithful to the original, actually and reasonable price.

Longines-Railroad-4-845x564@2x.jpg
longines-railroad-vintage-600x400@2x.jpg

I have an Eterna, which could be or definitely was a competitor to Zenith and Omega. I would happily get a Zenith if priced right. Do I want to join the drug dealers with their Omega's and Rolex's?
Not really. I would prefer an AP, JLC, Breguet, Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, or Girard-Perregaux. But then I would have to give up the high class hookers and drugs. Okay, Deliveroo and vacations in Croatia.
I was misled by you stating "I bought x because y is out of my budget". If you like what you buy everything ist fine, why complain.

That's quite affordable on Joma. Has anyone used them? Do you get caught for taxes and customs?
I've ordered without problems in terms of purchase, good in good condition and the like. Via USPS sometimes I get dinged, sometimes not. The Post is better than UPS and the gang. That is for Canada.

That's quite affordable on Joma. Has anyone used them? Do you get caught for taxes and customs?
do not ever, under any circumstance, order from Joma watch. ever. you get no warranty from the manufacturer and all warranty takes place through Joma watch.

I have ordered a Tissot Gentleman Powermatic 80 Silicium, as the Aqua Terra is out of my budget. I went for leather straps, as the bracelet had received negative feedback, and for the blue dial. I could have saved a bit on the white or black dial.

View attachment 37391
This arrived just now. It looks and feels wonderful. Sadly they didn't include the warranty card...

A beautiful, vintage inspired Omega Railmaster.

View attachment 37457
In the flesh, it underwhelms for a 6 grand watch. Somehow I expected more, but it isn't bling, or will it exhibit a jealous response or otherwise embarrass you when you flash it on your wrist. So full marks there.

The latest Longines Heritage, the Silver Arrow:

Negative review here:

Not an everyday beater for sure. But a watch that amongst us middle range entry level luxury watch connoisseurs could be a welcome edition.to the rotation. Haven't seen it yet except on the net.

In the flesh, it underwhelms for a 6 grand watch. Somehow I expected more, but it isn't bling, or will it exhibit a jealous response or otherwise embarrass you when you flash it on your wrist. So full marks there.

The latest Longines Heritage, the Silver Arrow:

Negative review here:

Not an everyday beater for sure. But a watch that amongst us middle range entry level luxury watch connoisseurs could be a welcome edition.to the rotation. Haven't seen it yet except on the net.
Looks not bad to me, even though not really impressive. It's very faithful to the original, it seems. What I'm not so fond of are the rather long lugs and the shape of the hands.

There's a lot of amazing pieces in the past of the best horological brands which deserve to be reproposed.

Last edited:
A classic from Heuer (today TAG-Heuer), the Monaco, made famous by Steve McQueen, who wore it in Le Mans.

Here in a nice version on bracelet:

tag-heuer-mint-monaco-link-ba0780-bracelet-heavy-ssteel-sixties-versions-faa006-brushed-polish...jpg

Watches under the microscope. A very interesting video that shows a Rolex GMT-Master (pepsi), a Grand Seiko Spring Drive (skyflake) and a Lange & Soehne Datograph. The absolute highlight is the movement of the Lange.

A classic from Heuer (today TAG-Heuer), the Monaco, made famous by Steve McQueen, who wore it in Le Mans.

Ive always wanted that on a strap. Hardly ever see them come up in the used market

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate - are you talking about the re-editions (some branded as "Heuer" and some as "TAG Heuer"), or the original Monaco from the 1970s?

If the former, there are huge numbers of them around, virtually all of them on straps. Just take a look at Chrono24. Some have two subdials and some have three.

If the latter, the originals are pretty rare but there are still examples out there. You can always tell the original Monaco watches because the sides of the case are a bit curved, and the pusher buttons are round, as in most chronographs.

This one has three sub-dials and a black dial, so isn't the classic look. However, it looks to be in fantastic condition:

https://www.chrono24.com.au/tagheuer/tag-heuer-monaco-1970s-chronograph--id17749608.htm

17749526-k101rrvjzpnd5608580mxau0-Zoom.jpg

This one is arguably the most classic Monaco, with the blue face and two subdials in contrasting white:

https://www.chrono24.com.au/tagheuer/tag-heuer-monaco-calibre-12--id18087711.htm

It also has the crown placed on the other side, which was the case with some Monaco models. Apparently, it was so the crown did not dig into the back of your hand while you had your hands on the steering wheel.

18087711-an7efl1i2s9mhbo9je2eqedy-Zoom.jpg

Ive always wanted that on a strap. Hardly ever see them come up in the used market
It had a massive buzz back in the mid-2000's. Too much so, as I think it's dated. Also the tie in with Breaking Bad.

Prefer the Tudor Monte Carlo Heritage Chrono on the striped blue Nato. Which was when it first came as the reedition €2,700 and you could get second hand ones mint €2,300. Which is the same list price, although you will get a lot cheaper, of the current 1973 Tissot Heritage:

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

It had a massive buzz back in the mid-2000's. Too much so, as I think it's dated. Also the tie in with Breaking Bad.

Prefer the Tudor Monte Carlo Heritage Chrono on the striped blue Nato. Which was when it first came as the reedition €2,700 and you could get second hand ones mint €2,300. Which is the same list price, although you will get a lot cheaper, of the current 1973 Tissot Heritage:

View attachment 37762

View attachment 37764
Not keen on the Tissot. I like the Heritage chronos though, especially the Blue Opaline one...

The Monaco has always left me...underwhelmed for some reason. I have a colleague who collects the different versions. The last one he bought was the Gulf one...

That's an opinion, I guess.
It's a personal preference, difficult to argue against without electric shock treatment.
Not keen on the Tissot. I like the Heritage chronos though, especially the Blue Opaline one...

The Monaco has always left me...underwhelmed for some reason. I have a colleague who collects the different versions. The last one he bought was the Gulf one...
The Gulf one was so obviously for the collector to lock them in for the next edition. Bling.

I'm going to get a few new watches this year, now I've broken the bad run of losses with a 1% profit which considering the hangers on is truly breakthrough performance. Top of my chrono list as posted previously, the Longines Avigation BigEye, not the new blue titanium version:

Longines-Avigation-BigEye-Titanium-L2.816.1.93.2-1-2048x1365.jpg

The original black stainless steel version for me:

download (1).jpg

Don't know what's up with the laptop, it seems to be reducing the pixel and quality of saved photos for some reason.

I'm going to get a few new watches this year, now I've broken the bad run of losses with a 1% profit which considering the hangers on is truly breakthrough performance. Top of my chrono list as posted previously, the Longines Avigation BigEye, not the new blue titanium version:

View attachment 37769

View attachment 37770
Don't know what's up with the laptop, it seems to be reducing the pixel and quality of saved photos for some reason.
Good choice, the black one looks better.

View attachment 37762

View attachment 37764
This Tissot doesn't look bad either.

Here the Tudor for a comparison:

tudor-heritage-chrono-blue-70330B.jpg

Here the original:

Tudor-Oysterdate-MonteCarlo-Chronograph-7169-2.jpg

Face to face:

tudor-7169-montecarlo-vs-tudor-heritage-chrono-blue-70330b.jpg

Two other versions of the Heritage Chrono:

00_s3b1247.jpg
tudor_chrono_heritage_d606a6f7cd_700.jpg
tudor-new-heritage-chronograph-70330n-3737-800x800.jpg

I'm actually not a fan of this brand, as there's something true in the statement that a Tudor is the "poor" man's Rolex, for the fact that many models look like the bad copies of the finer and more prestigious corresponding crowned ones.
This one shows however a good amount of personality.

Two other versions of the Heritage Chrono:

View attachment 37779View attachment 37780View attachment 37781

I'm actually not a fan of this brand, as there's something true in the statement that a Tudor is the "poor" man's Rolex, for the fact that many models look like the bad copies of the finer and more prestigious corresponding crowned ones.
This one shows however a good amount of personality.
Well, to a degree they are a poor man's Rolex and, that was the intention of the founder.

I'm not sure they're copies of Rolex though, most seem copies of their older offerings. One exception is the Tudor GMT which is actually nicer than the current GMT Master II and far easier to get hold of. I own one on a leather strap.

View attachment 37769

View attachment 37770
oooh i dig the blue one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom