All About Watches

The new blue or the old blue?
I like both.

I do like it on that Nato strap more though, even though I have concerns about the longevity of the Tudor fabric strap, and they are expensive to replace OEM. It reminds me a bit of the Universal Geneve 'Nina Rindt' I posted a while back that nearly made Doghouse's head explode...

1620517947859.png

Last edited:
I like both.

I do like it on that Nato strap more though, even though I have concerns about the longevity of the Tudor fabric strap, and they are expensive to replace OEM. It reminds me a bit of the Universal Geneve 'Nina Rindt' I posted a while back that nearly made Doghouse's head explode...

View attachment 37796
Oh it did. I have a bionic head now.

This is my first wristwatch (I used before pocket watches or none), a TAG-Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition, purchased in the end of the 1990s (picture from the web):

watch_157052824394354.jpg

It's only 35mm, a size that today looks really small, though a very pleasant watch.

In the long story of this model there are many versions, some of them, especially in the recent times rather awful, which don't do justice to this great classic.

These are two very nice interpretations:

Heuer-Carrera-Re-edition-14.jpg
Heuer-Carrera-Re-edition-15.jpg

oooh i dig the blue one
They've done the same with the Legend Diver with titanium case.
An interesting Tudor watch is the Advisor.
When it comes to wrist watches with alarms it's got to be the good to go for mid-20th century US Presidents, a Vulcain
This is my first wristwatch (I used before pocket watches or none), a TAG-Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition, purchased in the end of the 1990s (picture from the web):

View attachment 37801

It's only 35mm, a size that today looks really small, though a very pleasant watch.
Good taste, I was considering that back in around '94. It was circa GBP 1,495 and instead I got the Oris Commander which was GBP 550 and had a great ad campaign in the men's style magazines with several Douglas Dauntless's in the background flying on the way to Midway or some other Pacific engagement:

img_4_04042016152417comc.jpg.jpg

They've done the same with the Legend Diver with titanium case.

When it comes to wrist watches with alarms it's got to be the good to go for mid-20th century US Presidents, a Vulcain

Good taste, I was considering that back in around '94. It was circa GBP 1,495 and instead I got the Oris Commander which was GBP 550 and had a great ad campaign in the men's style magazines with several Douglas Dauntless's in the background flying on the way to Midway or some other Pacific engagement:

View attachment 37838
For sure a great value, but really too crowded dial, impression even accentuated by three colours and a fluted bezel.

For sure a great value, but really too crowded dial, impression even accentuated by three colours and a fluted bezel.
It was Oris's calling card to say it could dazzle and it worked. Before that, I always considered them the watch make for foreman scaffolders who had made the career jump into the office.

It was Oris's calling card to say it could dazzle and it worked. Before that, I always considered them the watch make for foreman scaffolders who had made the career jump into the office.
I always thought Oris were supposed to be a canny buy for people who wanted a Swiss mechanical watch, from an independent manufacturer, with all the bits and pieces made in house.

All you canny buyers should maybe have a look at Tutima as well, they have some nice models.

Because you like cheap watches, so that you can get more junk food delivered?

Tutima £1195.00

tut(1).jpeg

Tissot £620.00

T127.407.16.041.00_R.png

The specification looks the same, the Tissot is a powermatic 80. So why is the Tutima nearly twice the price? I would say the same for a similar Swiss brand.

And stop with the cheap snidy remarks.
That pizza was delicious, and I collected it.

That one looks like a Sinn.
Tutima £1195.00

View attachment 37852

Tissot £620.00

View attachment 37853

The specification looks the same, the Tissot is a powermatic 80. So why is the Tutima nearly twice the price? I would say the same for a similar Swiss brand.

The Tissot typeface is cleaner too. It looks neater.

What do you chaps think about Hanhart? U-boat commander and choice of Steve McQueen:

712.200.jpg

hanhart_primus_diver_small.png

One_schwarzes-ZB_dunkelbraunes-Band.jpg

There's a pretty large offer of pilot watches (Fliegeruhren) among German brands, most of them rather affordable.

Laco
taupe-uhren-news-laco.jpg

Sinn
Sinn_Watch_556_A_556.014_Leather.png

Stowa
fr1h8bki8fs41.jpg

Tutima £1195.00

View attachment 37852

Tissot £620.00

View attachment 37853

No idea why it’s twice the price... I’m sure you can find out. I actually didn’t know Tissot were THAT cheap, I thought they were also 1k plus. So obviously Tutima is not canny enough, please accept my apologies.

A very appropriate watch for high waisted relaxed pre-bleached or acid washed denim.

I would have given you a thumbs up for this:

View attachment 37872

And much more if you bought this:

View attachment 37873

But all I can give you for your newly purchased Lip is:

Those vintage pieces have a nice charm, I didn't know this name. I took a look at their website and saw some nice watches, but at those cheap prices I highly doubt they could be even medium quality.

A nice current offer at €449
marinier-automatique-noir-saphir.jpg

The new Breitling Premier B09 Chronograph in Pistachio Green:

ab0930d31l1p1-breitling-premier-b09-chronograph-40-1.jpg

If at the first glance, it's refreshing and appealing, I fear it could tire in the long term.

A very little popular watch, even ignored, the Eberhard Boucanier. I have it on a blue alligator custom strap, but I find that this bracelet "Chalin" is just stunning and suits it perfectly.

4e72c30d-b070-44a4-960a-3c80d4fe6a5e.jpg
398ff6f3-d712-463b-bf86-d68271c94b2f.jpg

Well, I would say a little monotonous, but they are nice vintage pilot watches.

I’d call it a nice mix of vintage army and airforce watches with a few real rarities in the mix. I’m looking forward to see what they sell for - though all the vintage military watches are over valued, IMO.

Time ago I had a soft spot for rectangular watches. As I was looking for the Mido Baroncelli, I found and got the Mido Multifort.

Multifort
2012-11-26 13.35.33.jpg

Baroncelli
mido-baroncelli-baroncelli-tonneau.jpg

Those are nice, but I know nothing about watches so I don't know how nice (or expensive) they are.
This is one of my less expensive watches: about €450, if I remember well. Not so spectacular or prestigious, but quite pleasant in my eyes.

If you're going to start your personal collection, I would suggest you to start with a mechanical medium level watch: recommendable brands would be Tissot, Seiko, Longines, Mido, to just name some.

Time ago I had a soft spot for rectangular watches. As I was looking for the Mido Baroncelli, I found and got the Mido Multifort.

Multifort
View attachment 38125

Baroncelli
View attachment 38126
I had the Mido Multifort Pulsometer:

M8830.4.78.JPG

M8830.4.78 (9).JPG

With my middle aged eyes, it was a bit of a strain looking at it, so got rid this year and got over €400 for it. I paid the equivalent of GBP225 for it in 2003. Some of these midrange watches hold their prices quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom