All About Watches

Another brand with history and tradition, Alpina, is also an interesting option in the mid range offer.

A very nice model I was considering some time ago, the Seastrong Diver Heritage:

front_AL-525S4H6_Web_400x.png

My Claude Bernard arrived today.

It's not bad for the money, but I downloaded two images and it looks like the first when I preferred the second.

cb1.jpeg
70201-3-BUIN.jpg

9 years for robbery of a fake Rolex and murder of the owner:

The lesson is, don't flash your Rolex fake or otherwise in Amsterdam. You're being watched.

Eight grand for a second hand Royal Navy watch, from a brand I have never heard of, that is only splash proof!!!
Admittedly the price is extremely steep and probably not worth it, but Lemania has a great horologic history and the watch has a noteworthy vintage charm. I'm sure there's more than few collectors willing to pull the trigger.

The Mido Ocean Star Tribute, a very nice sport watch in the mid range. Seen in person, it's really attractive with a stunning polishing. Official price 990 Euros.

Mido-Ocean-Star-Tribute-1_M026.830.11.041.00M026.830.11.051.00-Beitragsbild.jpg
Mido_Ocean_Star_Tribute_Blue_Frontal_2_Zurich_2019.jpg

Just bought the Seiko Presage Chronograph SRQ031 55th Anniversary Ltd Edition, a modern re-interpretation of Seiko's first ever chronograph which came out for the 1964 Olympics:

It's got that silky ivory coloured dial that is a bugger to photo. I'll post some photos in the next day or two.

The boxing isn't impressive and on the cheap side, but what do you really need from that? I'd rather they spend money on the quality of the watch.

Very decent heritage vibe and as per the review above, it's more towards the dressy side of things than a modern sports watch. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

The Mido Ocean Star Tribute, a very nice sport watch in the mid range. Seen in person, it's really attractive with a stunning polishing. Official price 990 Euros.

View attachment 38289View attachment 38290

That’s really nice. I’m imagining it on a leather strap and I think it might be one of my favorite new watches in that price range.

Just bought the Seiko Presage Chronograph SRQ031 55th Anniversary Ltd Edition, a modern re-interpretation of Seiko's first ever chronograph which came out for the 1964 Olympics:

It's got that silky ivory coloured dial that is a bugger to photo. I'll post some photos in the next day or two.

The boxing isn't impressive and on the cheap side, but what do you really need from that? I'd rather they spend money on the quality of the watch.

Very decent heritage vibe and as per the review above, it's more towards the dressy side of things than a modern sports watch. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

That’s very attractive. It doesn’t look vintage, but has a nice timeless appearance.

That’s really nice. I’m imagining it on a leather strap and I think it might be one of my favorite new watches in that price range.

That’s very attractive. It doesn’t look vintage, but has a nice timeless appearance.
This is the original, so it's definitely an updated and modern interpretation:

Seiko_5719_Chronograph_1000.jpg

Surprised Seiko we're not making chronographs before 1964.

I've tried taking photos and I can't get the dial right, the coppery tones mixed with silky ivory depending on the light, but you can see there's depth in the dial as well:
IMG_2461.jpg

Strap is black cordovan with a clasp:

IMG_2459.jpg

The glass back is pointless as the movement has nothing aesthetically pleasing about it, the rotor is finished acceptably, just about:

IMG_2460.jpg

The glass back is pointless as the movement has nothing aesthetically pleasing about it, the rotor is finished acceptably, just about:
Absolutely. A modern misuse to have a glass caseback for seeing movements which are unspectacular, whereas a solid metal one should make much more sense, especially on sport watches.

Nice watch overall with an attractive price.

When we talk of the Seiko Alpinist the most of the watch fans think of the mid-1990s model, especially in green, but in reality the history is so much older and begins with the Seiko Laurel Alpinist from the 1959. Now Seiko has launched a modern re-interpretation of that first model in the Prospex line, that even though not sporting the name "Alpinist" is clearly a homage to that, in three references: SPB241J1, SPB243J1 and SPB245J1, respectively with the dial in cream, dark grey and green. As I find, at 38mm case diameter it's a beautiful, compact, proportionate timekeeper at an advantageous price (€730 to €750). A pity to see the "X" for the Prospex range instead of the writing "Alpinist". Also here out of place, the see-through caseback, furtherly with an ugly "Seiko" overprint.

The original from 1959:

1959-Seiko-Alpinist-vintage-1-1536x1024.jpg

The mid-1990s classic:

Seiko-Alpinist-SCVF009-green.jpg

The new models:

Seiko-Alpinist-Prospex-Modern-Interpretation-SPB243J1-grey-review-3.jpg
Seiko-Alpinist-Prospex-Modern-Interpretation-SPB245J1-green-review-2-1536x1025.jpg
Seiko-Alpinist-Prospex-Modern-Interpretation-SPB241J1-cream-review-3-1536x1025.jpg

The caseback:

Seiko-Alpinist-Prospex-Modern-Interpretation-SPB241J1-cream-review-2-1536x1025.jpg

Last edited:
Seiko has also launched a limited edition model, a rather faithful re-issue of the original from the 1959, if there wasn't a date. It's offered on a calf leather strap with jagged stich that sits (like the original) on a cuff band (the so called -horrible to me- bund strap).
Limited to 1959 pieces, at an official price of €3,000 it seems a little expensive, even though I won't deny its charme.

SJE085_a.jpg

Seiko has also launched a limited edition model, a rather faithful re-issue of the original from the 1959, if there wasn't a date. It's offered on a calf leather strap with jagged stich that sits (like the original) on a cuff band (the so called -horrible to me- bund strap).
Limited to 1959 pieces, at an official price of €3,000 it seems a little expensive, even though I won't deny its charme.

View attachment 38326
That's out in August this year. Original size too. Overview here:

Ok Seiko enthusiasts, here’s a puzzle for you: I’m trying to guess what Seiko my dad owned briefly. He bought one at the Camp Pendleton PX in about September or October 1967 right before going to Viet Nam. When he was wounded and medevaced in Feb, someone stole it.

He didn’t own it long enough for it to be in any clear photos or to have any sentimental attachment, but I sometimes imagine if he had brought it home with him after 13 wearing it there for 13 months. M

I’ve showed him a few pics but he is a little vague on details. All I know I’d that it was a basic sports watch and not a chrono or diver.

Ok Seiko enthusiasts, here’s a puzzle for you: I’m trying to guess what Seiko my dad owned briefly. He bought one at the Camp Pendleton PX in about September or October 1967 right before going to Viet Nam. When he was wounded and medevaced in Feb, someone stole it.

He didn’t own it long enough for it to be in any clear photos or to have any sentimental attachment, but I sometimes imagine if he had brought it home with him after 13 wearing it there for 13 months. M

I’ve showed him a few pics but he is a little vague on details. All I know I’d that it was a basic sports watch and not a chrono or diver.
There were Seiko 5's out at that time and of course their first divers. NASA Flight Director Gene Kranz wore a Seiko 5 model 6119-8460 during the Apollo missions. Here's a couple:

a78f6d7e5b5457fb463b958dc77c41c6.jpg

One of the 1967 catalogues, amongst other years is available here:

He bought one at the Camp Pendleton PX in about September or October 1967 right before going to Viet Nam. When he was wounded and medevaced in Feb, someone stole it.

I would have suggested the "Willard" (Seiko 6105), except I think that it came out in 1968, so your dad's watch purchase would have been just a bit too early.

seiko-6105-gear-patrol-3.jpg

He could have bought a Seiko "Sportmatic":

^
Thanks! I bet that is it! It looks to be the sort of model that would be stocked at a PX (not exclusive or high end). I emailed him that link to see if it jogs his memory, though I guess it is more of a curiosity to me than it is him.

Davosa is another interesting entry-level Swiss brand, not much known.

Some pretty attractive models:

the Military Automatic

zegarek-meski-davosa-military-automatic-161-511-54_1.jpg
Produktbild_Military_16151174.jpg

the Newton Pilot Automatic

16158515-RGB_schraeg_1280x1280.jpg

the Argonautic BG Automatic

16152299_schraeg_1280x1280.jpg
16152209_schraeg_1280x1280.jpg

Hmmm...

They look a bit too much like "homages" to the IWC Mark such-and-such and the Omega Seamaster, for my tastes...
Yes, but at so much lower prices. Of course you might still prefer the models of the more prestigious brands, but if your budget is limited, these are nice watches under €1,000.

Yes, but at so much lower prices. Of course you might still prefer the models of the more prestigious brands, but if your budget is limited, these are nice watches under €1,000.
It's a thin line between homage and blatant rip-offs. They look okay to my eyes.

Steinhart push the limit with their blatant Submariner rip-off the Ocean and their GMT:

ocean_one_black_ceramic_6.1602512115.jpg

But the Ocean One Chrono, the vintage Daytona homage is good:

o1v-chrono_1kx1k_03.1574330600.jpg

Glycine, I consider a recent resurrected brand and is now owned by Invicta. Fortunately, they haven't turned it into Invicta...as yet.

Having owned a Vietnam era Airman, the current Airman range are spot on reproductions and worth a dabble if you're into military watches:

csm_GL0159_07bcbcc09a.png

A new version reminiscent of the legendary 62 MAS from 1965, the Seiko Prospex SPB 239J1 comes on a nice and tough textile strap, official price: €1,250.

SPB239J1.jpg
SPB239J1_1.jpg

Honestly I find their vintage Daytona inspired model Ocean One Chronograph more attractive than the current version from Rolex.

The nice "Panda" version:

Screenshot (153).png

A stunning Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman":

L1440875_1024x1024.jpeg

A current version:

rolex-daytona-116500ln-colognewatch-01-5259.png

In particular I dislike the crown guards that weigh down the frame, and the shape of the indices, chunky and disgraceful.

A new version reminiscent of the legendary 62 MAS from 1965, the Seiko Prospex SPB 239J1 comes on a nice and tough textile strap, official price: €1,250.

View attachment 38482View attachment 38483
I like the plain black version or the white faced 140th Anniversary Limited Edition you posted.

They're all better looking than the Willard turtles.

The 1965 SLA034J1 in this incarnation looks good too, but pricey at €4,800:
CaptureSeiko.PNG

The reedition they did a couple of years ago looked awful in the flesh and was about €6,500 (if I remember rightly).
Honestly I find their vintage Daytona inspired model Ocean One Chronograph more attractive than the current version from Rolex.

The nice "Panda" version:

View attachment 38488

A stunning Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman":

View attachment 38489

A current version:

View attachment 38490

In particular I dislike the crown guards that weigh down the frame, and the shape of the indices, chunky and disgraceful.
It's certainly more cost effective than the 20 million the Paul Newman Daytona went for and is exactly that vintage model the Steinhart pays homage to.

An associate of mine got a Daytona to celebrate his good business in 2019. It was the latest model and it looked good, but whether he keeps it. Everyone else I've known to have a Daytona have always got rid after awhile and gone back to lesser models.

Last edited:
The Tudor Royal reviewed here, looks a bit too much of poor man's Rolex Day Date/Datejust:

Latest fake Daytona:

Last edited:
I'm curious what those here think about whether the watch is an essential or inessential part of the well-dressed man's wardrobe. I've never worn a watch, not because I prefer telling time on my phone, but because I find that it would be uncomfortable having an object on my wrist all the time. But perhaps that discomfort would go away if I started wearing one consistently, much like a necktie may be uncomfortable at first if never worn before, but then one grows used to it.

I'm curious what those here think about whether the watch is an essential or inessential part of the well-dressed man's wardrobe. I've never worn a watch, not because I prefer telling time on my phone, but because I find that it would be uncomfortable having an object on my wrist all the time. But perhaps that discomfort would go away if I started wearing one consistently, much like a necktie may be uncomfortable at first if never worn before, but then one grows used to it.
There is no rule or benchmark me thinks. Whilst there's been a growth in knowledge of horology and watch brands/makers, it's still a bit of a minority spectator sport. I know very successful people who wouldn't spend a penny on a watch and are completely disinterested. Others who have the obligatory Rolex stashed and brought out for special occasions and will sport a beater the rest of the time. When it comes to being well-dressed in the classical menswear sense, you don't want anything too flash or make the expense of the watch the thing. An Ole Mathiesen Royal Marine with roman numeral dial is good enough.

In this era, a wristwatch is man jewelry. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.
Yes and no. Watches are pretty much the only acceptable item of ''jewellery'' for men now. In the past, heavy chunky bracelets were de rigueur and we still see fashionistas with hundreds of small leather and charity bracelets on. It looks shite. Even rings, I don't see that many men wearing wedding rings now, I certainly don't sport one.

You see Rolex becoming a fancy multicoloured jeweller now. The new green Submariner is a case in point. They've given it a nickname like Seiko divers which is probably a warning.

At this stage, mechanical and Quartz watches are like analogue film cameras completely superfluous. But unlike film cameras, they still have relevance on the aesthetic level and long may that reign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom