All About Watches

In this era, a wristwatch is man jewelry. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.
Watches are pretty much the only acceptable item of ''jewellery'' for men now.

Yes, only a good watch is worth adorning a classy man. Today it's en vogue among the iGents to wear a lot of bracelets and even rings: it's a very tacky and cheap looking use, I would definitely ban.

At this stage, mechanical and Quartz watches are like analogue film cameras completely superfluous. But unlike film cameras, they still have relevance on the aesthetic level and long may that reign.

Yes, actually nobody needs to wear a watch nowadays, though a nice timekeeper at the wrist does certainly enrich and fulfill a nice outfit.

Last edited:
I'm curious what those here think about whether the watch is an essential or inessential part of the well-dressed man's wardrobe. I've never worn a watch, not because I prefer telling time on my phone, but because I find that it would be uncomfortable having an object on my wrist all the time. But perhaps that discomfort would go away if I started wearing one consistently, much like a necktie may be uncomfortable at first if never worn before, but then one grows used to it.
I wouldn't consider a (handsome) watch an essential part of a man's wardrobe, but undoubtedly it's a great accessory that would add the proper final touch.
Of course the watch has to be chosen carefully and in my opinion it's better to wear no watch than a bad and poor one. As regard to the possible discomfort in having something at your wrist I think it's totally negligeable and highly counterbalanced by the pleasure given by a nice item.

That oddly fluted bezel is ugly in my eyes.

Looks like an engine-turned bezel. The style was quite common on "dressier" Rolex models in the past, such as the Oyster Perpetual, Datejust and Air King. In recent years, though, Rolex moved more towards fluted bezels.

The Day-Date is very keenly-priced, particularly in comparison to the Rolex version which only comes in precious metal.

Looks like an engine-turned bezel. The style was quite common on "dressier" Rolex models in the past, such as the Oyster Perpetual, Datejust and Air King. In recent years, though, Rolex moved more towards fluted bezels.

The Day-Date is very keenly-priced, particularly in comparison to the Rolex version which only comes in precious metal.
Yes, €2,160 is a very attractive price, but regret remains for something that could look much better.

This is my favourite version:

Screenshot (154).png

Yes, €2,160 is a very attractive price, but regret remains for something that could look much better.

This is my favourite version:

View attachment 38511
The silver dial one looks reasonable in photos, but when you see them on the wrist, they look clunky and old fashioned.

Tudor have done much to differentiate themselves from Rolex over the last decade, this range seems a retrograde act.

Some nice entry/mid-range sport watches may be these Certina:

DS PH200M on mesh bracelet, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel and gilt accents at €940.

DSPH200M_C036.407.11.050.01_2020.07.31_SM_2048x2048.jpg

Or this other reference with Hesalite crystal and aluminium bezel ($850 at Hodinkee)

DSPH200M_C036.407.11.050.00_2019.11_02_SM_2048x2048.jpg

Somewhat more expensive at $1,990 (Hodinkee), but really attractive this DS Chronograph Automatic:

DSChronographAutomatic_C038.462.16.037.00_2021.03.29_SM_2048x2048.jpg

A stunning new "Monaco" (limited to 500 pieces) in sandblasted titanium:

CAW218B.FC6496_1000.png
CAW218B.FC6496_01.jpg

Nice to see on the dial the old logo Heuer (without TAG).

Wow, 4 years between posts. That has to be a record. Welcome back

Thank you. Its an interesting exercise in to the way my mind works I suspect. See a link to DressedWell on SF, think "I havent been there for ages, I wonder what's going on", followed by reading the post about watches and seeing a nice Tag. Hadn't entered my head in 4 years to a post in 4 clicks, the internet at its best..

Not the most famous brand, even in Germany, but surely among the most prestigious, Glashuette Original offers mostly dress/elegant watches, this sport diver SeaQ is very interesting however, offered in two sizes: 39,5mm and 43,2mm.

Limited edition with gilt numerals and different coloured hands:

GlashuetteOriginalSeaQ1969-1-39-11-01-80-06-4-1500x1000.jpg

Compared with the 60s original:

GlashuetteOriginalSeaQ1969-1-39-11-01-80-06-1-1500x1000.jpg

Regular version with the hands also in gilt colour:

GlashuetteOriginalSeaQ-1-39-11-06-80-08-6.jpg

Nice bicolor version in steel and gold:

Glashutte-Original-SeaQ-39.5mm-Bicolor-Blue-Dial-2021-4-1536x1022.jpg

A green one:

Glashuette_Original_1-39-11-13-83-34_SeaQ_ST_reed_green_PR2.jpg

In blue with "Panorama Datum" (big date)

GO-Sea-Q-Panorama-Date-front-001.jpg

The official prices are rather high from ca. €10,000 to €24,500 for the full gold version (on rubber or textile strap, no bracelet), nonetheless very attractive timepieces.

Not the most famous brand, even in Germany, but surely among the most prestigious, Glashuette Original offers mostly dress/elegant watches, this sport diver SeaQ is very interesting however, offered in two sizes: 39,5mm and 43,2mm.

View attachment 38631

View attachment 38632

View attachment 38633

View attachment 38634

A green one:

View attachment 38635

View attachment 38636

The official prices are rather high from ca. €10,000 to €24,500 for the full gold version (on rubber or textile strap, no bracelet), nonetheless very attractive timepieces.
still on my holy grail list

Glashutte-Original-Senator-Panorama-Date-Moon-Phase-100-04-32-12-04-10-10-GLA-6DU90R-abb62d2f4904.jpg

the blue with the white moon is unique. i dont think i've ever seen a white moon dial before but i could be wrong on that one

W13604040230.png

Some nice entry/mid-range sport watches may be these Certina:

DS PH200M on mesh bracelet, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel and gilt accents at €940.

View attachment 38526

Or this other reference with Hesalite crystal and aluminium bezel ($850 at Hodinkee)

View attachment 38527

Somewhat more expensive at $1,990 (Hodinkee), but really attractive this DS Chronograph Automatic:

View attachment 38528
Massive bang for your buck with Certina. They get a mention in Richard Burton's diaries, he bought one of their divers.

View attachment 38631

View attachment 38632

View attachment 38633

View attachment 38634

A green one:

View attachment 38635

View attachment 38636

Aren't they the ones with a 100 hr power reserve?

Couple of fly-backs I like:

cropped_product_page_flyback-chronograph-watch.png

20550N-95730W-1__12461.1534487769.1280.1280.jpg

The Tudor Grantour is discontinued now, but you can mint second hand on Chrono24 for under €2,500. The Frederique Constant's you can get from dealers for around the same price. A good grand off the list price.

I like the case and dial a lot, but that minute hand is like my seven year old draws clocks.

The Seiko Prospex LX, spring drive so suitably expensive, is it a Grand Seiko Sport SBGA229 killer:

Seiko-Prospex-LX-SNR029J1.001.jpg

VS
grand-seiko-sport-sbga229-sbga229-472284_1024x1024.jpg

Aesthetically, I think it's better than than the Grand Seiko, with the exception of the bracelet. But wouldn't want a Grand Seiko over a Prospex?

The Seiko Prospex LX, spring drive so suitably expensive, is it a Grand Seiko Sport SBGA229 killer:

View attachment 38778
VS
View attachment 38779

Aesthetically, I think it's better than than the Grand Seiko, with the exception of the bracelet. But wouldn't want a Grand Seiko over a Prospex?
Actually I even prefer the Seiko bracelet, looking sober and solid and better suiting the style, whereas I don't like those thin polished elements in the Grand Seiko one.

I guess that the Grand Seiko could still have a superior overall quality, but as sheer aesthetic I prefer the "poor" cousin.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the Seiko SLA051J1 with the grey textured dial:

You might wonder why it's so much more expensive than the standard ''Willard'', it's the 8L35 caliber which is basically an undecorated and unadjusted Grand Seiko 9S55 same as what's in the Marinemaster, all you need to to do is get it regulated for Grand Seiko performance:

06-Seiko-Marinemaster.jpg

7BC1CACB-C1A4-4741-9852-1636E8B2AF31-300x261.png

Wonder what the waiting time is on one these:

Rolex-Daytona-_Leopard_-3.jpg

Edit: It was discontinued in 2019, had a good run from 2004. Unusually, for Rolex, you can pick up for less than the new price. Circa $50,000.

Who other than Nicholas Cage, used in marketing material, would buy such a watch?

Last edited:
Wonder what the waiting time is on one these:

View attachment 38820

Edit: It was discontinued in 2019, had a good run from 2004. Unusually, for Rolex, you can pick up for less than the new price. Circa $50,000.

Who other than Nicholas Cage, used in marketing material, would buy such a watch?
Mmmm,

That's rock star or WWF star material....

You could wear it as an ironic statement I suppose, but it would be a very expensive one.

I remember trying on the platinum Daytona when I picked up my Milgauss. That weighed like a brick. Offered me a good discount on it too...

eeek. delete, delete!
Sadly, I don't have the authority to delete that post.
Mmmm,

That's rock star or WWF star material....
I was thinking more like Idi Amin, only a madman would want to wear it.

But the marketing ploy of using Nicholas Cage is bizarre as is the watch itself:

Nicholas Image.jpg

The one time he was dressed in a colour scheme to accommodate it, he chose a 1950 Rolex triple-moon-date instead:

Lisa-Marie-Preslely-with-Nicolas-Cage-Rolex-Moonphase.jpg

This is it, which later sold for over US$500,000, are you living on old man, oh yes very much indeed:
Rolex-Moonphase-Reference-6062.jpg

Sadly, I don't have the authority to delete that post.

I was thinking more like Idi Amin, only a madman would want to wear it.

But the marketing ploy of using Nicholas Cage is bizarre as is the watch itself:

View attachment 38822

The one time he was dressed in a colour scheme to accommodate it, he chose a 1950 Rolex triple-moon-date instead:

View attachment 38823

This is it, which later sold for over US$500,000, are you living on old man, oh yes very much indeed:
View attachment 38824
Mr Nicholas Cage demonstrates a very bad taste: rings and bracelets are as horrible as the watch. Also the second Rolex, though classier and more restrained, is not something I would wear.

Reminiscent somehow of Panerai, Anonimo has its own aesthetic code. Among their different models I find the Nautilo Vintage rather attractive.

Anonimo-Nautilo-Vintage-LS001.jpg
Anonimo-Nautilo-Vintage-LS009.jpg
AnonimoNautiloVintage-5.jpg
P3230365.jpg
P3230345.jpg
Anonimo-Nautilo-Vintage-LS007C.jpg
Anonimo-Nautilo-Vintage-Automatic-Watch-Anthracite-42-mm-AM-5019.09.101.M01-1.jpg

On leather strap or steel bracelet the different dial colours look very nice. At an official price of about €2,100 it's rather affordable and a good option for a sport watch.

Mr Nicholas Cage demonstrates a very bad taste: rings and bracelets are as horrible as the watch. Also the second Rolex, though classier and more restrained, is not something I would wear.
Yes, but bad taste isn't the same as no taste and if you know what bad taste is, it follows that you know what good taste is.

A bit of 'bad' taste in dress isn't a bad thing IMO as it shows confidence in one's choices (it's the knowingness aspect that clinches it).

Also, the notion of 'Taste' itself is controversial.

My own take on 'taste' is that it is a consensus and inimical to 'style' which is singular.

I would wear that watch, for the piss-off value alone but it's the kind of plaything that you have to have money-to-burn to own. I don't.

I also like and would wear Cage's striped shirt in the lower picture which reminds me of Duchamp when they were good.

Gotta be careful when travelling, from Wikipedia:

According to secret documents issued to interrogators at Guantanamo Bay, obtained[8] and released by The Guardian, "the Casio F-91W digital watch was declared to be 'the sign of al-Qaeda' and a contributing factor to continued detention of prisoners by the analysts stationed at Guantanamo Bay. Briefing documents used to train staff in assessing the threat level of new detainees advise that possession of the F-91W and the A159W – available online for as little as £4 – suggests the wearer has been trained in bomb making by al-Qaeda in Afghanistan."[9] United States Military intelligence officials have identified the F-91W as a watch that terrorists use in constructing time bombs.[10][11] [12][13]

How slim in terms of case thickness in mm should a dress watch be, so that it fits under a shirt cuff?

I actually have the above Casio (or some sort of Casio like that, sans the calculator), but I just tried to wear it and it's way too thick.

How slim in terms of case thickness in mm should a dress watch be, so that it fits under a shirt cuff?

I actually have the above Casio (or some sort of Casio like that, sans the calculator), but I just tried to wear it and it's way too thick.
That Casio is certainly NOT a dress watch, no matter how thick it is. A dress watch has to be as flat as possible, everything under 10mm is very good, even though you have great examples a little thicker. The Rolex Day Date, an exemplary dress watch is 12mm thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom