All About Watches

I would agree that 100 m water resistance sounds not impressive and a "real" Diver has to go deeper.
On the other side the fewer of us will ever dive at that depth, probably the most will use it just for swimming, if ever.
I think you just hit on a new Seiko slogan:

Real divers go deeper.

I would agree that 100 m water resistance sounds not impressive and a "real" Diver has to go deeper.
On the other side the fewer of us will ever dive at that depth, probably the most will use it just for swimming, if ever.
Fair point but remember the WR number doesn’t necessarily mean a diver is expected to go down to that depth. It’s more that a certification of 200m will certainly cover you for immersion for just about any recreational water activities and then some.

A new Grand Seiko available in November in three shades of green, celebrating the brand's 140th anniversary in a limited series of 140 pieces each one.

Screenshot (644).png

grandseiko10-19-20219303.jpg
grandseiko10-19-20219308.jpg
grandseiko10-19-20219310.jpg
grandseiko10-19-20219307.jpg
grandseiko10-19-20219312.jpg

They are powered by a hand-winding movement with 72h reserve and offered at $4,900.

My favourite is the one with sage green dial, but also the minty one looks very appealing.

Last edited:
A new Grand Seiko available in November in three shades of green, celebrating the brand's 140th anniversary in a limited series of 140 pieces each one.

View attachment 40894
View attachment 40895View attachment 40896View attachment 40897View attachment 40899View attachment 40900

They are powered by a hand-winding movements with 72h reserve and offered at $4,900.

My favourite is the one with sage green dial, but also the minty one looks very appealing.
The mint one for me. Absolutely stunning!

They look very nice.

Really good to see Grand Seiko using a more slim-line case, as opposed to the heavier, somewhat chunkier-looking cases it often uses. The cases are always exceptionally well-made, but they're often a bit thicker and chunkier than I'd like. These, on the other hand, are very nice.

It's officially time for this whole green fad to fuck off
It's definitely a fad now and may date well.

That forest green Cocktail Time I got is interesting, dark enough not to be readily noticed, but in direct sunlight it doesn't look that good. You can see then it's a watch from the cheaper seats. Opposite to the original Sky Diving Cocktail Time which looks great in sunlight on the dial. Still punches well above it's price.

It's definitely a fad now and may date well.

That forest green Cocktail Time I got is interesting, dark enough not to be readily noticed, but in direct sunlight it doesn't look that good. You can see then it's a watch from the cheaper seats. Opposite to the original Sky Diving Cocktail Time which looks great in sunlight on the dial. Still punches well above it's price.

At first glance I was very impressed by the Cocktail series, but got more and more tired of that dial. As you say, the original one is also the best.

Hey Journeyman Journeyman , would you have any insight on which pre quartz Seikos are decent values on the vintage market.

Kind of have an itch to pick something up, but not really trying to spend bit so much money

Going the green path (fad):

effcbf4bb154bf22d9a7bc5809c71676.jpg

It's a Kuoe Old Smith 90-002. It has an automatic Seiko movement that can also be hand wound. The case is a very small 35mm, something that would appeal to lovers of past times sizes. The price at $278 is very moderate and makes this watch a real entry level one.

For those who don't like green there are also versions in black and cream.

54220591-40867429.jpg
Kuoe-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Journeyman Journeyman , would you have any insight on which pre quartz Seikos are decent values on the vintage market.

Kind of have an itch to pick something up, but not really trying to spend bit so much money

Hmmmm... Dropbear Dropbear might actually know more than do I.

Older Seikos have been increasing in value over the past few years, driven by a couple of things:
- The general increase in popularity of watch "collecting" as a thing to do; and
- Seiko releasing re-editions of vintage watches and thus drawing attention to the original models.

However, it's certainly the case that vintage Seiko watches are much less expensive than vintage Rolex, for example.

Do you want dressy? Or sporty? Or chronographs?

Sporty would mean looking at watches such as the "62MAS", the "Willard", the first 300M and the 6105-8000 "Turtle". They've all been reissued over the past few years, sometimes in a few different versions.

Dressy could be looking for vintage Grand Seiko and King Seiko watches from the 1960s, such as the GS 6145 and 6146 with hi-beat movements of 36,000 oscillations per hour. You can find some really nice, clean King Seiko watches on eBay.

There are quite a few vintage chronos worth looking at.

The Seiko 5717 chronograph was a single-pusher chronograph that was released around the 1964 Olympic Games. Seiko recently released a newer version for the 2020 Olympics.

Seiko have some other really nice chronographs, too, including the 6138 chrono with two subdials. Most of the 6138 models have upper and lower sub-dials, but some have side-by-side subdials. Often the subdials are a different colour from the main dial, such the 6138-8000 and 6138-8020 versions with "panda" and "reverse panda" dials. The 6138 range also included a "bullhead" chrono, with the crown and pushers positioned at the top of the case, rather than the side.

The 6139 was a range of various single sub-dial chronographs and included the "Pogue", a version with a yellow dial that is now known for being the first automatic chronograph in space, worn by Colonel William Pogue during the 1973 Skylab mission.

Last edited:
^
Not me. I enjoy reading this thread, but have resisted the temptation to own more than one watch and am certainly not knowledgeable on any brand. In fact, I think I got my IWC mkXV after reading a Pimpy post about Smith watches and getting a little interested.

Last edited:
Older Seikos have been increasing in value over the past few years, driven by a couple of things:

Yes, that's the main reason I ask. it used to be be Seiko was a great value across the board, but now some of the models have sky rocketed.

Thanks for that post though, good stuff!

The 6139 was a range of various single sub-dial chronographs and included the "Pogue", a version with a yellow dial that is now known for being the first automatic chronograph in space, worn by Colonel William Pogue during the 1973 Skylab mission.
It's next to impossible to find any of the 6139's in mint condition.

And little chance that Seiko will reissue the Pogue.

ok fellas i could use your advice. i got a line on a >25% discount on a Hamilton Intra-Matic Auto Chrono from an authorized dealer. Having a little paralysis via analysis in trying to choose which color combo i want to get. my first thought was the blue dial with cream/white subdials:

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/h38416541-intra-matic.html (link has more pics from hamilton)

h38416541.png

then i stumbled on the black dial with white/cream subdials i.e. the reverse panda:

h38429130.png

downside of the black model is its a manual not an automatic. money is relatively the same. they make some other color combos, even a green for florisgreen florisgreen . let me know if any of the color combos on the site stand out:

p.s - if anyone is in the market for a hamilton i'm pretty sure i could get you whatever you want for at least 25% off. full papers and everything. pm me if interested.

ok fellas i could use your advice. i got a line on a >25% discount on a Hamilton Intra-Matic Auto Chrono from an authorized dealer. Having a little paralysis via analysis in trying to choose which color combo i want to get. my first thought was the blue dial with cream/white subdials:

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/h38416541-intra-matic.html (link has more pics from hamilton)

h38416541.png

then i stumbled on the black dial with white/cream subdials i.e. the reverse panda:

h38429130.png

downside of the black model is its a manual not an automatic. money is relatively the same. they make some other color combos, even a green for florisgreen florisgreen . let me know if any of the color combos on the site stand out:

p.s - if anyone is in the market for a hamilton i'm pretty sure i could get you whatever you want for at least 25% off. full papers and everything. pm me if interested.

I prefer the real "panda" and, guess, the green one on bracelet, but they are all attractive. For me it's no downside, having a hand-winding instead of an automatic movement. I also like that the hand-wound models have no date.

0f1ec5bd-e594-47a3-a16d-1d8c8be72d5f.jpg
h38416160.jpg

I like the no date face, but would prefer auto if it were for me. They are all nice, so I guess it depends on whether this will be the only watch you will be wearing or one in a rotation.

h38416541.png

h38429130.png

The Intra-Matic Chrono's are the best in the Hamilton range. All of them are great. The olive dial is very nice in the flesh as well.

The blue dial, but only because the strap on the reverse Panda iz tres ghey!!!
you can get it in leather as well:

h38429730.png

The Intra-Matic Chrono's are the best in the Hamilton range. All of them are great. The olive dial is very nice in the flesh as well.
yes i know all this. we're trying to narrow it down to a single version here.

if it didn't have all the red that might be a worthy contender.

I like the no date face, but would prefer auto if it were for me. They are all nice, so I guess it depends on whether this will be the only watch you will be wearing or one in a rotation.
me too but the blue is only available in the date. im slowly building back a new rotation.
Blue all the way
noted
The blue dial, but only because the strap on the reverse Panda iz tres ghey!!!
and if all the straps were equal? there are a few other color combos as well.

I prefer the real "panda" and, guess, the green one on bracelet, but they are all attractive. For me it's no downside, having a hand-winding instead of an automatic movement. I also like that the hand-wound models have no date.

View attachment 41162View attachment 41163
interesting to see the opinions on manual vs. auto here

h38429730.png

me too but the blue is only available in the date. im slowly building back a new rotation.

noted

I prefer it on the leather strap, it would be even better if the leather strap had contrast stitching. Very sporty.

It's OK.

I prefer it on the leather strap, it would be even better if the leather strap had contrast stitching. Very sporty.

It's OK.
the strap is unimportant as i can always buy a spare. the face is in question here. so of all the options, even the ones on the site, which do you like?

h38429730.png

noted

I would get the leather strap version. It's a matter of personel choice isn't it?

For me it's the black, blue and olive dial.

Did you have to put it in for service/repair? How long did Seiko/Grand Seiko take?
I bought it 4 years ago, and it was losing time (like 5-10s a day, nothing drastic) so I put it in under warranty as the manual recommends. GS comped the service for me and I paid a few hundred to have some dings polished out.

It took nearly 6 months, but that was in the middle of a lockdown in Japan over their last winter. I think the factory was shut for a period. Not the best time to send it in obviously, but it came back basically like a new watch, running +2s per day and they gave me a discount on the polishing for the inconvenience. The GS people were pretty good to deal with really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom