All About Watches

Denim color big this season?

Possibly, maybe denim blue will be the new green.

By the way, this is the story behind the watch:
therake @carlfbucherer’s Heritage BiCompax Annual Lucerne pays homage to Jörg G. Bucherer’s passion for the family’s blue Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Car that returned to his life after many years. The watch’s dial shares a couple of elements with the Lincoln, including blue and chrome elements. The teal blue of the car is picked up on the subdials, running seconds, chronograph minutes and the tachymeter scale. As well as being a striking chronograph with classic vintage-esque styling, the watch fuses this traditional aesthetic with a thoroughly modern movement, the caliber CFB 1972, that is not only a chronograph but also an annual calendar.

Screenshot (693).png

They call it teal blue, but it's clearly denim or powder blue.

Last edited:
Question for you guys: How bad/damaging/uncomfortable is it to wear a leather strap in the summer or when it's hot? I have to walk about 15 mins to get to my work.

I've been thinking about trying out a small dress watch, but I don't like the look or feel of metal straps.

Question for you guys: How bad/damaging/uncomfortable is it to wear a leather strap in the summer or when it's hot? I have to walk about 15 mins to get to my work.

I've been thinking about trying out a small dress watch, but I don't like the look or feel of metal straps.

If the weather is very hot and you tend to sweat, the leather strap would of course wear out quickly. You can live with that and replace it more often, or you can choose a bracelet. Interestingly time ago I didn't like metal at all, but now I'm getting more and more fond of it: I appreciate particularly mesh/milanese bracelets or the ones with small links, like the Rolex Jubilee.

Not uncomfortable at all. I would get a fairly thin and non-porous leather that won’t absorb too much sweat- alligator, kangaroo and deer are all good in dress watches.

Question for you guys: How bad/damaging/uncomfortable is it to wear a leather strap in the summer or when it's hot?

There are some strapmakers who will make rubber-lined straps. They're usually a bit thicker and more casual and so aren't suitable for dressier watches with narrower, "flatter" straps - have a look here for some examples (scroll down for less-expensive straps):

Sweat can cause the inner lining of a strap to degrade and it can also make it smelly over time. However, I don't think that 15 minutes of outside wear while you're walking is going to have a huge effect on a strap.

You can get leather straps with a thin rubber coating on the inside so that sweat doesn’t affect the leather.

e. Too late, what Journeyman Journeyman said

They're usually a bit thicker and more casual and so aren't suitable for dressier watches with narrower, "flatter" straps

This is not correct, I have these two Zenith watches, eminently dress watches, both with alligator leather straps lined with rubber.

Verschiedene-Marken-Zenith---Elite-Ultra-Thin-Rosegold-2201_1200x1200_1.jpg
41x9mPieMdL._AC_UX466_.jpg

Personally, I don’t like rubber straps. They get itchy and don’t breath in the heat and humidity. Can give you a rash from wearing it all day.

1631539718266.png

To paraphrase the late Victor Kiam: 'I liked it so much I bought it...'

So, you arseholes, given that this is a retro-style chronograph I have decided to put it on a cuff strap like this Tudor (shown below): I'm going to get this made bespock by Equus Leather. So any ideas/thoughts on leather type/colour and stitching.

https://www.equusleather.co.uk/watch-straps.html

1631539272925.png

This feels like a vintage Ask Andy post/spoof.

Another good one would be :-
I am planning a vacation to old Europe and I need a watch that will withstand the rigours of walking over cobblestones.

Never had an issue with leather straps and heat. Sure, they wear out after time but I don't think the heat takes years off their utility.

View attachment 41247

So, you arseholes, given that this is a retro-style chronograph I have decided to put it on a cuff strap like this Tudor (shown below): I'm going to get this made bespock by Equus Leather. So any ideas/thoughts on leather type/colour and stitching.

View attachment 41245
And you wonder why I don’t take strap advice from you old son...

View attachment 41247

View attachment 41245
why would you put such an ugly strap on a sweet watch like that? the watch just screams sleek, not bulky.

why would you put such an ugly strap on a sweet watch like that? the watch just screams sleek, not bulky.
The watch is bulky. It's about 12mm thick. It isn't a dainty, pretty watch.

The idea is this. It's a retro-style chronograph and I think, well I know, it'll look good on a cuff strap. It would also look good on a Rally strap too and that's another option.

This feels like a vintage Ask Andy post/spoof.

Another good one would be :-
I am planning a vacation to old Europe and I need a watch that will withstand the rigours of walking over cobblestones.
Oof. You know something? I do walk partially on cobblestones....

Btw, I got a thin Citizen Eco Drive.

Never had an issue with leather straps and heat. Sure, they wear out after time but I don't think the heat takes years off their utility.
It's not the heat that get to them, it's the sweat. I never had any issues with straps starting to smell and go manky until I was in my thirties.

A mucca of mine use to say that you need to rotate leather strap watches like shoes.

It's not the heat that get to them, it's the sweat. I never had any issues with straps starting to smell and go manky until I was in my thirties.

A mucca of mine use to say that you need to rotate leather strap watches like shoes.
Sweat rots them.

Last edited:
that's handsome. would look good with a sleek strap. not a big fan of rough leather straps but that's just me.
It's on a dark brown Nubuck strap as standard which is nice, but it's a bit tight for my 7 3/4" wrists (due to plenty of wrist action of another sort!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom