All About Watches

It's a nice watch, but I don't get the brand positioning.

Why didn't you just save up a bit more and get a Grand Seiko?
There's no brand placing, as King Seiko is a defunct line, it's pure heritage indulgence.

For the same RRP, two hundred Euros more, I could have got the GS GMT Quartz. But that wasn't what I wanted. I've already done the GS Quartz.

GS have become a desirable yet niche status brand, for those who frown on Rolex as being too passe and old fashioned. The good thing is that it's raised the status of Seiko across the board. Seiko is no longer considered a cheap brand as they became known in Europe in the 80s/90s and early 2000s.
I admit I really don’t understand this either. They look basically identical.
Why then would I spend €5000+++ on a mechanical Grand Seiko, when I can get the same look, general quality and same global brand for less than €3,000?

There's Veblen buying and then there's just being a snob.

I buy what I want and like, subject to aesthetics, quality, availibility and pocket money/bonus being all aligned in ascendancy.

Right, aresholes:

I'm planing me next watch purchase.

I have:

2 Divers.

1 Flyer (edit)

1 Anti-magnetic.

1 GMT.

1 Chronograph.

So what next?

Last edited:
Right aresholes:

I have:

2 Divers.

1 Anti-magnetic.

1 GMT.

1 Chronograph.

So what next?
You definitely need another diver to be on the safe side. You can never have enough divers, in case you take it up as a sport. You also need to always be thinking, as I am, of getting the Orange Doxa.

A dress watch is clearly in order.

Glashutte senator?

https://www.swissluxury.com/glashut...celet.htm[/URL Bunch of different variations

In your case, you recommend a dress watch.
I'd probably look at a dress watch, or maybe a Yachtmaster or something in the Aqua Terra or Oyster vein.
You definitely need another diver to be on the safe side. You can never have enough divers, in case you take it up as a sport. You also need to always be thinking, as I am, of getting the Orange Doxa.

A dress watch is clearly in order.
Classy

A Speedmaster or a pilot (IWC XI or XV?) would work on a bund strap. Probably too cheap for your budget, but the Seiko RAF watches are pretty cool.

Shame floris is gone he’d be waxing his carrot after seeing that one

I like the watch, but don't like the dial colour.
Copper and salmon faced always a winner. As too are month, day, dates. Once I saw that Breitling, I knew the Longines equivalent would never be enough.
A Speedmaster or a pilot (IWC XI or XV?) would work on a bund strap. Probably too cheap for your budget, but the Seiko RAF watches are pretty cool.
Speedy's are very big in the flesh, the Redux versions were the best in size, but plagued with shitty movements.

There is of course, for the bund lovers out there, the Seiko Alpinist 1959 Ltd Edition, currently available:
seiko-prospex-alpinist-limited-edition-of-1959-pieces-sje085j1-13055436.jpg

If you can live with the brand, those Tissot 1973 Racing Chronographs are pretty up there too.

Copper and salmon faced always a winner. As too are month, day, dates. Once I saw that Breitling, I knew the Longines equivalent would never be enough.

Speedy's are very big in the flesh, the Redux versions were the best in size, but plagued with shitty movements.

There is of course, for the bund lovers out there, the Seiko Alpinist 1959 Ltd Edition, currently available:
View attachment 41521

If you can live with the brand, those Tissot 1973 Racing Chronographs are pretty up there too.
wow is that fucking ugly

I forgot to add I have an IWC, my late fathers. I always forget about it, probably because I never wear it.

It's a nice watch, but I don't get the brand positioning.

Why didn't you just save up a bit more and get a Grand Seiko?

Most Grand Seikos don't have that vintage aesthetic from the hey day of Japanese watchmaking (1960s and '70s). To get that look at GS levels means very limited reissues that probably run multiples of the KS.

Right, aresholes:

I have:

2 Divers.

1 Flyer (edit)

1 Anti-magnetic.

1 GMT.

1 Chronograph.

So what next?
Full gold Rolex DD on president bracelet.

Most Grand Seikos don't have that vintage aesthetic from the hey day of Japanese watchmaking (1960s and '70s). To get that look at GS levels means very limited reissues that probably run multiples of the KS.

Full gold Rolex DD on president bracelet.
FTFY:

F1DED7B2-27AD-4399-A36F-C88B6B7CCF92.jpeg

The current Elegance range have a bit of that vintage vibe, but more rounded countours compared to the sharper looking King Seiko:

sbgw231_2.jpg

The current Elegance range have a bit of that vintage vibe, but more rounded countours compared to the sharper looking King Seiko:

View attachment 41569
Nice looking watch. Though I would buy something similar at High Street prices.

I am glad I am not into the watch malarkey. Even the Jazzmenco bloke on ‘poor man’s watch thread’ on SF must spend a fortune. Every post he has a different watch.

Nice looking watch. Though I would buy something similar at High Street prices.

I am glad I am not into the watch malarkey. Even the Jazzmenco bloke on ‘poor man’s watch thread’ on SF must spend a fortune. Every post he has a different watch.

48D47212-6CC8-4DBE-B7B3-17EB64C9A54C.jpeg

What do you guys think of Glashütte?

I just stumbled onto these and like the vintage GDR watch as well as the reissue:

3303EFCA-CF36-443B-A502-EA891F61567A.jpeg

I just stumbled onto these and like the vintage GDR watch as well as the reissue:

View attachment 41573

Glashütte are fantastic watches

View attachment 41573

Don't like them at all, but you can get the old GDR versions for less than 100€. So if you like them, get a few while they last.

Vintage vibe - maybe. But hardly as interesting as the KS. While a high quality piece, I find this design a bit too “mall watch” generic.
You could even say the Grand Seiko Elegance is a rich man's Orient Bambino:

orient-fac00005w0-fac00005w0-11685364.jpg

Is this an American phenomenon...?
I had no idea what it was either.

View attachment 41573

Great reputation for build quality and movements, reflected in the prices. But I find a lot of the designs a bit boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom