All About Watches

Speaking of GS. Have you seen this?
SBGY291-3_Land_10.jpg

Big difference in the engines - one is an upgraded Seiko 5 movement (the equivalent of a VW two-stroke); the other is a de-tuned Grand Seiko movement (the equivalent of an AMG). Probably the best value 8L35 movement that bottom one.
you know your stuff, grats

Big difference in the engines - one is an upgraded Seiko 5 movement (the equivalent of a VW two-stroke); the other is a de-tuned Grand Seiko movement (the equivalent of an AMG). Probably the best value 8L35 movement that bottom one.
Indeed, but aesthetically close. I'm not in the market for a €4,600 watch. But depending on which way my whims take me, I could be in for a Seiko circa two grand and under.
36.5, seriously. how pathetic, not?
Ideal dress watch size.

Shocked to find that the Longines Conquest Heritage 35mm is now €1260. As worn by M in Spectre - well, the much more expensive rose gold version - but the standard versions were always superb value at around €800-900 up until seemingly a couple of weeks a ago.

oh fuck another watchnerd talking movements. who cares?
Indeed, an unregulated 8L movement isn't going to deliver anything on the +/- front that a decent QC passed 6L/6R can't. No one will see that, other than you.

My watch ambitions are curtailed this month now - dentist bills/car service/bike repair/missus moaning she's paid the same amount as me into the joint account last month - so I might be in the sub-€1500 zone and a bit lower. We'll see how I feel Friday. Those Seiko 5 GMT's appear rather sweet now, depending if I can source the blue one somewhere in the Netherlands.

My watch ambition quite unexpectedly has been fully realized with the Seiko SLA047J1:

IMG_4051.jpg

Fully 8L35'd up, the mangrove forests of Iriomote inspired green faced Ltd Edition. The green is so dark, it's only a slight hue depending on the light. It's much deeper than the Seiko forest green on the likes of the Presage SRPD37J.

As you know with Seiko's around the €3000-3500 mark, you should be getting €800-€1000 off with ease. The dealer's had this in for over a year, the blue version went after Christmas in the sale, but this beaut no one wanted at the time. I wanted it then, but I had already spent my pocket money on some expensive whiskies. Seems it was mine all along, managed to get it for €2100 which takes the price back to the Marinemaster circa 2015.

Well chuffed as that's a Rolex Submariner killer without the waiting list, need to keep it well hidden from the eyes of Amsterdam taxi drivers for a Oris Sixty-Five price.

Last edited:
Nicely done, that's a quality piece
Here it is with the light just capturing the green, but most of the time it looks almost black:

IMG_4055.jpg

As ever though, there is the cheap and cheery definitive Seiko clasp:

IMG_4057.jpg

Was at the infamous Roermond Outlet today and it's grown significantly since I was last there in 2015. On the watch front there is dedicated Breitling, Tag Heuer and Seiko stores. In all of them you could hit lucky and get significant savings, two grand or more off the Breitlings. In the Seiko store they had the current range of the porcelain dials for between €900-1195, Astron's over a grand-off, a few Seiko Prospex 200m divers a grand or more for €700-770 and the upmarket 8L35 SLA051J1 Uemura/Willard for €1900. Seiko 5's for €200. Was pretty tempted, but two watches in a weekend is too greedy.

I am moving away from Seiko and into CITIZEN:

Citizen-Promaster-Mechanical-Diver-200M-NB6021-3.jpg

Citizen-Promaster-Mechanical-Diver-200M-NB6021-13.jpg
Not a bad looking dressy diver that, but with the Mercedes, it might get mistaken for a mod. Well, if it was a Seiko.

Was going to get Citizen Eco-Drive One when they first came out. Still tempted at times. Thinner than a Rado and more in my price range than the Piaget Altiplano. But I end up thinking, like Seiko pre-2010's, hmmm, not quite the brand I want labelled on my wrist.

i can't tell if this is a joke or not.
Citizen haven't been successful, probably through not giving a damn, in distinguishing themselves like Seiko in western markets as something more than a cheap and cheery watch maker. Making the Chronomaster available in Europe would be a good move. But maybe the sell enough and don't want or need to.

Other than ex-colleagues in Brazil, I've never seen anyone sporting a Citizen.

6AB94173-544B-4AA2-85CE-16D6969BB153.jpeg

Most divers are too big for my small wrists and look like Big Ben on my arm. I can just about get away with this 2015 Seiko Alpinist SARBO17 at 39mm with curved lugs. It‘s its own watch and not trying to be mistaken for anything else. Using the rotating bezel and the position of the sun I can also navigate whilst mountain climbing without the need to ponce about with GPS etc.

Last edited:
View attachment 44753

Most divers are too big for my small wrists and look like Big Ben on my arm. I can just about get away with this 2015 Seiko Alpinist SARBO17 at 39mm with curved lugs. It‘s its own watch and not trying to be mistaken for anything else. Using the rotating bezel and the position of the sun I can also navigate whilst mountain climbing without the need to ponce about with GPS etc.

Always wanted one of those.....

Other than ex-colleagues in Brazil, I've never seen anyone sporting a Citizen.
glad, I have the promaster "lefty" and their "successor", the fugu asia LE, best bang for the buck and way superior to the skx. seiko had their moments, but citizen it is, ymmv.

glad, I have the promaster "lefty" and their "successor", the fugu asia LE, best bang for the buck and way superior to the skx. seiko had their moments, but citizen it is, ymmv.
Do you wear it on your right arm? Are you left handed?

Do you wear it on your right arm? Are you left handed?
of course not and no. the ergonomic on this watch is absolutely genius. the data for the case at 50 bar, tested for the italian military really adds up, not that I would really need this. it's a masterpiece and both set me back € 250 all in with extra straps and shit, I'll never use. rubber straps in black and blue, pfft. I don't.

atm, I'm looking for a good deal on the eco-drive version, should be doable, imo. actually, it's not audi rs6 money ...

Last edited by a moderator:
They certainly have impeccable design and I almost forgot, they bought the Dutch watchmaker, Frederique Constant, which fits their big bang for buck market position:

actually, they have a multibrand strategy, I dunno, if this is the key. I feel, they do more the walk and less the talk than seiko. imo, it's not compareable. seiko has their gs department, which citizen almost dropped but at least they adopted the austrian emperor eagle on the casebacks of their top line. this is really something. have a look and tell. sorry, I didn't respond to your latest aquisition. I never understood the relaunch of the old and never like this colour scheme, but at this price, you have to bite, certainly, grats.

actually, they have a multibrand strategy, I dunno, if this is the key. I feel, they do more the walk and less the talk than seiko. imo, it's not compareable. seiko has their gs department, which citizen almost dropped but at least they adopted the austrian emperor eagle on the casebacks of their top line. this is really something. have a look and tell. sorry, I didn't respond to your latest aquisition. I never understood the relaunch of the old and never like this colour scheme, but at this price, you have to bite, certainly, grats.
They bought Alpina and Bulova too.

Always liked the design of the Skyhawk and Navihawk, so much bold and overloaded functionality going on. I seem to remember adverts for them in the 80s, but it appears the first generation were from the mid-90s. The Blue Angel with leather strap looks good to me:

They bought Alpina and Bulova too.

Always liked the design of the Skyhawk and Navihawk, so much bold and overloaded functionality going on. I seem to remember adverts for them in the 80s, but it appears the first generation were from the mid-90s. The Blue Angel with leather strap looks good to me:

multibrand, as I mentioned. I missed out on a good deal for a blue angel, bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom