Apple, Android, Smart & Dumbphones - The Mobile Thread

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate aezy... you are losing a lot of threads!

I just bought a Motorola don't remember what model with Android... and I have to say I'm pretty much convinced that for my next phone I would not get another iPhone. The rent is a lot higher and very limited.

Just upgraded. a few bells and whistles, but more of a 7.5 than anything (as has been Apple's case for a while)

Privacy on the new iOS is ridiculous. Went through every single possible screen under Settings last night and deactivated a ton of options. Apple wants to track me bad.

What? I googled that number and it was for that office next to yours. Did someone else move in?
ISIS-goat.jpg
ITT, cell phone shit.
but this thread am only for smartyphones:saddest:

Last edited:
Fucking Apple.

2 new releases of iOS days apart, and both are fucked up, erroring out my phone and causing me to need to restore backups.

The operating system is just getting too big. Bugs become unstoppable when you grow the software base like this. And it seems there are some quality control issues too.

It might be time for me to move on.
I love my old semi smart Nokia (just like me) with qwerty hard keyboard. But i need to keep up with the young people.
I got the Ms a Huawei android a year or so a back - cheap works as well or better as a f'ckin apple. And 10% of the price.
My big need is to sync my contacts /calender with the phone and desk computer.
I do it at the moment with Outlook on the Nokia with Nokia software. Solid. Reliable.

What cheap android does this? - and before you knee jerk - I don't want to use a web shit service like gmail as I don't want my 4,000 contacts and my diary incorporated as spam/marketing/CIA tracking/whatever by some usa company.

It might be time for me to move on.
I love my old semi smart Nokia (just like me) with qwerty hard keyboard. But i need to keep up with the young people.
I got the Ms a Huawei android a year or so a back - cheap works as well or better as a f'ckin apple. And 10% of the price.
My big need is to sync my contacts /calender with the phone and desk computer.
I do it at the moment with Outlook on the Nokia with Nokia software. Solid. Reliable.

What cheap android does this? - and before you knee jerk - I don't want to use a web shit service like gmail as I don't want my 4,000 contacts and my diary incorporated as spam/marketing/CIA tracking/whatever by some usa company.
Price range? You don't need to use Gmail to use Android.

Syncing contacts? I haven't seen any reliable software/systems mentioned.

PC and Phone
This is completely irrelevant to the actual phone you're using. Anything using the Android operating system can use its myriad of apps related to contacts. Gmail is an email service.

What's your phone price range?

no no no - my price range is around $100 aud - I refuse to pay Verblen prices for a commodity.
And no not everything can easily sync Outlook - 4,000 - contacts with pc and phone. Seamlessly. I maybe wrong - its a year since I researched it.

Thanks little buddy.

My brother in Scotland got a Moto cheapo and he swears by it it.

I'll do my homework and not bother you.

Well there you go - just shows the value of online communities (warm fuzzy new age hug to rambo) I did not know MS (spit) had caught up with android.

actually on reading it - it seems as if that MS Outlook sync thing uses the cloud or some MS online shit - I don't want those fuckers accessing my contacts.Or doing their thing update/takeover/we know what you need- with my PCs. I'm old skool I know.

I might go back to Linux.

actually on reading it - it seems as if that MS Outlook sync thing uses the cloud or some MS online shit - I don't want those fuckers accessing my contacts.Or doing their thing update/takeover/we know what you need- with my PCs. I'm old skool I know.

I might go back to Linux.
I wouldn't necessarily give up on it. One of the third party options might allow you to sync without cloud backup.

I suspect that the Outlook app wants you to use Outlook.com as a hub. You might be able to get around that though.

So, it's that time when I have to change my phone. I don't want to get an iPhone I'm getting sick of it.

So I was lookin at the HTC M8 but as always, when I have to change my phone, a few months later the new ones come out. I just saw on the website that the M9 is coming out soon.

Also saw a pair of Samsungs one that has a processor of 8 cores and the one designed for selfies. I don't take selfies but for the outfits would be good. Hahaha.

Any recommendations?

So, it's that time when I have to change my phone. I don't want to get an iPhone I'm getting sick of it.

So I was lookin at the HTC M8 but as always, when I have to change my phone, a few months later the new ones come out. I just saw on the website that the M9 is coming out soon.

Also saw a pair of Samsungs one that has a processor of 8 cores and the one designed for selfies. I don't take selfies but for the outfits would be good. Hahaha.

Any recommendations?
The Galaxy S6 looks like a winner. It will be out in April so you can look for reviews then. I'd stay away from HTC at this point.

The Galaxy S6 looks like a winner. It will be out in April so you can look for reviews then. I'd stay away from HTC at this point.

I still have time, my change is until June the 3rd, so I can wait. Thing is I don't want to spend a lot on the phone, if it is going to cost somewhere around $1,000 usd is a no for me.

Why don't you like the HTC? Is there another phone I should include to the list?

This Indian chap at work keeps telling me about xiaomi or whatever that is. He just came back from his wedding there. I had to look up what xiaomi is. Apparently one can make money being a knock off of a knock off.

Probably pick up a Huawei Y550 tomorrow for $90 aud. Getting the thumbs up from the Oz geeks on whirlpool forums. Huawei has an app/program will sync with pc and Outlook for calender and contacts. Seems like what I need.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/huawei_y550

Last edited:
I still have time, my change is until June the 3rd, so I can wait. Thing is I don't want to spend a lot on the phone, if it is going to cost somewhere around $1,000 usd is a no for me.

Why don't you like the HTC? Is there another phone I should include to the list?
It'll probably be expensive but I don't know what the MEX price will end up running. By June there will probably be another release or two. I've never been a fan of HTC myself.

Probably pick up a Huawei Y550 tomorrow for $90 aud. Getting the thumbs up from the Oz geeks on whirlpool forums. Huawei has an app/program will sync with pc and Outlook for calender and contacts. Seems like what I need.
We don't have those here so I can't help you all that much.

You don't have Huawei in the states?

I see these days phones as a commodity so expect them to be cheap and reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom