Ask A Quick Question

that's because its a racist, eliteist, boring sport played by white men.

Golf is really popular in East Asia, too - Japan, South Korea, China.

In Japan, it's not quite as big as it used to be, as companies' expense accounts aren't as inflated as they were a few decades ago. However, it's still very popular, both for business connections (as Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith pointed out) and for relaxation.

When we fly back from Japan after visiting family, it's very common to see Japanese people with either golf clubs, or surfboards, waiting to board the plane. Australians fly to Japan to ski; Japanese fly to Australia to play golf or surf.

A sport that allows you to smoke cigars and drink beer is a-ok in my books.

It also spawned one of the funniest movies ever. "You know Danny, I've sent boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to, but felt I owed it to them."

Golf is really popular in East Asia, too - Japan, South Korea, China.

In Japan, it's not quite as big as it used to be, as companies' expense accounts aren't as inflated as they were a few decades ago. However, it's still very popular, both for business connections (as Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith pointed out) and for relaxation.

When we fly back from Japan after visiting family, it's very common to see Japanese people with either golf clubs, or surfboards, waiting to board the plane. Australians fly to Japan to ski; Japanese fly to Australia to play golf or surf.
Biden just called the Master's winner Japanese Boy.

I played golf once.

A VP at a past company had loads of points on one of her credit cards and treated about 6-7 of us to a weekend down in Atlantic City. There was/is a golf course not far away and she also set it up so that we played a round. We broke into 2 teams and off we went.

Now I played football/basketball/baseball/roller hockey/etc back in the day....and thought golf would be a breeze. I really sucked. Could not hit the ball...and when I did, I could not hit it straight. I even sucked at putting.

The good thing was that we were boozing it up while playing and really didn't take it serious. My team won...no clue how. Maybe because when we threw the ball when no one was looking(vs hitting it), we got it close to the hole.

I do like watching the main tournaments on TV. I can settle in and watch a Sunday/final round of a major or well known tournament.

I do take a pass on golf clothes. Not for me.

I do take a pass on golf clothes. Not for me.

I was reading a discussion about golfing clothes on an online forum a few weeks back, and one of the participants was bemoaning the lack of natural fibres in golfing clothes nowadays, and pining for the old days of cotton shirts, woollen trousers etc.

Then the other participants all piled in, and said that golf is a sport and so it needs technical fabrics to keep you comfortable, help your performance and so on. These golfers are serious athletes!

All I could think of while reading the thread was Donald Trump playing golf - that basically destroys any argument about golf being a performance sport that requires technical clothing.

I was reading a discussion about golfing clothes on an online forum a few weeks back, and one of the participants was bemoaning the lack of natural fibres in golfing clothes nowadays, and pining for the old days of cotton shirts, woollen trousers etc.
That guy is totally right of course. It must be said however that each can choose his favourite clothing in a "sport" like golf, and one has not to wear what sport brands offer. If I would play, I'd certainly wear classic, natural fibres garments, as well as spectators/co-respondent shoes.

I was in Glasgow for a weekend a few years back, was having a dinner time session with with a few mates all of whom are Celtic supporters. The boozer we were in is used by Celtic fans before and after games. Anyway this was in June and I wanted to smoke which had to be done outside, I found the doors to be locked when I tried to get out and asked the landlord to let me out. He told me the doors would remain locked until the Orange march had passed. I had no idea that shit went on up there but sure enough ten minutes later march pass they did. That really was a eye opener. Never encountered any racism toward me but I did have a doorman ask me "who I supported" once, a few times cause I couldn't understand what the hell he was saying the first four or five times he asked. When I said Leicester City he asked " Celtic or Rangers"? He seemed happy enough when I said I wasn't interested in Scottish football. So I think theres quite a problem there with sectarianism.

Years later Leicester played Celtic in a pre season game and the Leicester fans started singing GSQ which made me cringe like fuck. Not that my Glasgow mates mentioned it after the game when I met them for a drink. Great people and I always feel welcome when I go. The only people that I know that "like" Rangers are "I'm not racist but" types from Leicester and sing God save the Queen before Englands match's. Funny old game, as Geavsie used to say.

Last edited:
I was in Glasgow for a weekend a few years back, was having a dinner time session with with a few mates all of whom are Celtic supporters. The boozer we were in is used by Celtic fans before and after games. Anyway this was in June and I wanted to smoke which had to be done outside, I found the doors to be locked when I tried to get out and asked the landlord to let me out. He told me the doors would remain locked until the Orange march had passed. I had no idea that shit went on up there but sure enough ten minutes later march pass they did. That really was a eye opener. Never encountered any racism toward me but I did have a doorman ask me "who I supported" once, a few times cause I couldn't understand what the hell he was saying the first four or five times he asked. When I said Leicester City he asked " Celtic or Rangers"? He seemed happy enough when I said I wasn't interested in Scottish football. So I think theres quite a problem there with sectarianism.

Years later Leicester played Celtic in a pre season game and the Leicester fans started singing GSQ which made me cringe like fuck. Not that my Glasgow mates mentioned it after the game when I met them for a drink. Great people and I always feel welcome when I go. The only people that I know that "like" Rangers are "I'm not racist but" types from Leicester and sing God save the Queen before Englands match's. Funny old game, as Geavsie used to say.
The sectarianism in the Central Belt is bit of a shock when you first experience it. I've seen some strange shenanigans up there and was engaged in a clash with the head union convenor and SNP activists who were to cause so much trouble there a couple of years later at the Grangemouth refinery and in the local politics. The sectarian side is very much like Northern Ireland but without the knee capping.

Stayed in Falkirk and then Stirling for a year and a bit. At the time, several colleagues were selling up in Edinburgh in preparation for the parliament and buying mansions in Dunfermline on the strength of the price increases. Property was dirt cheap. GBP 75,000 you'd get a large 4 bedroom detached house in good area. So if you had a couple a hundred grand, you were on a winner.

The Group I worked for had a division there that was run by an ex-Rangers player. When you went into the Managing Director's office, next to his framed photo of the Queen was a framed newspaper article on the stabbing of some Celtic fans by a Rangers fan who he must have had a soft spot for. He also went crazy when one of his staff had ordered a green company car and he made him send in straight back. Several hard knock guys went up there from Manchester and the likes of Sunderland, none of them stuck-it for longer than a week and all complained it was the most bigoted hateful place they had ever been asked to work.

Personally, I had a reasonably good time up there, outside of the bigots which are a small but vocal minority, it's very easy to engage and get on with the Scots. Or it was back then. And they don't do a certain type of Englishman up there e.g. Keir Starmer or metropolitan or southern English types will just not get any traction up there.

Ultimately, it wasn't for me, or I would still be there. In fact, I fought the unions and the unions won. Such is life.

Solaro suit - yes, or no?

I've got a few summer suits - a cream linen suit, an RAF blue cotton suit, a cream cotton suit, and a sort of a sand-coloured wool suit in a fresco weave, so it's not as though I actually need another summer suit (and apparently Solaro isn't even that great in summer!).

However, perhaps I've just been infected with some sort of iGent virus, but I do feel tempted:

SpierAndMackaySS21_neapolitancut_DragoSolaro_29190-1.jpg

Would anyone care to talk me out of it?

For me it is a yes and is on my list of things to do.

The only thing I am not sure if is cotton or wool
PKL had a very nice one made in Naples on Cappiocoli cotton, but I am not sure if wool would be better.

Actually mine would be in exactly the same clout unless I can find a solaro length on eBay or similar.

The suit looks great. I do not fancy brown suits unless it’s summer wear so I think, L-K-P was right in choosing cotton.

I've got a few summer suits - a cream linen suit, an RAF blue cotton suit, a cream cotton suit, and a sort of a sand-coloured wool suit in a fresco weave, so it's not as though I actually need another summer suit (and apparently Solaro isn't even that great in summer!).

However, perhaps I've just been infected with some sort of iGent virus, but I do feel tempted:

Don't do it. It's not a great summer cloth and it doesn't even look nice. It is a very specific, limited look. At least try before you buy.

There were a lot of good reviews when they released that three (?) years ago. Some were shills but I got the sense that at least some were reasonably well-informed and genuine customers who liked the fabric.

You might recall that I considered that same suit myself but ended-up getting a more casual cigar linen suit.

Are you happy with the cigar linen suit? Do you find that you wear it a lot?

It works for me because I can seperate the jacket and the trousers easily or wear it as a very informal summer suit. Definitely a lot more casual than the solaro. I never did get shoes to go with it as a suit though.

1E715891-DC69-47EA-8001-E8D1AE0A35F4.jpeg

For me it is a yes and is on my list of things to do.

The only thing I am not sure if is cotton or wool
PKL had a very nice one made in Naples on Cappiocoli cotton, but I am not sure if wool would be better.

Actually mine would be in exactly the same clout unless I can find a solaro length on eBay or similar.

Should I tell Sarto to Ebay all his 10.000 euros stock of fabrics since the other unforum is crappola?

I think you should. easy peasy business for you if you have branded stuff.
You are not selling any more in SF?

No, Sarto quited that infamous place whose owner, a real psychopath, do mock half of the US country insulting Trump voters, while being a chinavirus coomunist inmigrant himself.

Irony: having an “style” forum but lacking of any kind of style, class and manners, a true lumpen himself and rice three delices deliverman that fuckfok.

And what about Ebaying bespoke tie service? can work or not? And what about that App called “Vinted” to sell used clothes?

Sarto also has like 100 famous brands brand new ties he bought as impulsive buyer before moving to Naples. Would be great to have some cashback selling those.

No, Sarto quited that infamous place whose owner, a real psychopath, do mock half of the US country insulting Trump voters, while being a chinavirus coomunist inmigrant himself.

Irony: having an “style” forum but lacking of any kind of style, class and manners, a true lumpen himself and rice three delices deliverman that fuckfok.

And what about Ebaying bespoke tie service? can work or not? And what about that App called “Vinted” to sell used clothes?

Sarto also has like 100 famous brands brand new ties he bought as impulsive buyer before moving to Naples. Would be great to have some cashback selling those.
You’re sarto. Everyone knows. Stop with this third person bullshit.

You’re sarto. Everyone knows. Stop with this third person bullshit.

Shut up you John Rambo, I am calling our comrade and hebrew Colonel Trautman to get you and medicate you lazy mad, for our last undercover mission, to search and destroy chinavirus Fukfok before he infects America of tackyness and pinkoness.

1622238493784.png

Any can ID the brand for the kind of letters?

I suspect is Canonico Barberis, but not sure.

We got 3 meters of each cut of this, the navy is Winter flannel with Italian script as well, the grey says Super 130 Tasmanian.

Both with very good Italian finishing.
20210531_142245.jpg

Real color of the grey is on the second pic, dark one
20210531_142306.jpg

( for sale at good price with many other fabrics)
rTjX7.jpeg

Last edited:
What color socks go best with olive colored chinos and brown shoes, if you don't have olive/green colored socks?

I missed this post. That solaro jacket looks stunning. For me it's a clear YES.

Thoughts on wingtip dress boots? Thinking about getting them for the winter and pairing with navy and grays. Wondering if they might draw too much attention.

Thoughts on wingtip dress boots? Thinking about getting them for the winter and pairing with navy and grays. Wondering if they might draw too much attention.
I have a suede brogue dress boots and other than when sitting, no one bats an eyelid. if you can wear a brogue shoe, brogue boots is really no big deal.

I have a couple of pairs of wingtip boots, one in dark brown shell cordovan and one in a mid-brown scotchgrain leather with a Dainite sole. I use the latter for rainy weather. I've also got a pair of austerity wingtip balmoral boots in a reddish-burgundy shell cordovan that are probably my dressiest boots.

No-one ever seems to have noticed that they are boots, nor has anyone commented on them.

I think that the only boots that people seem to notice are my more casual boots, such as hiking boots or Norwegian split-toe boots.

Thruth Thruth might be the last SWD Daddy left here, but I’ll still ask it in this thread:

Im looking for a black leather belt (1.5-2”) with a silver center-bar garrison buckle. Preferably something cheaper than One Star and Hollows. Any suggestions?

Thruth Thruth might be the last SWD Daddy left here, but I’ll still ask it in this thread:

Im looking for a black leather belt (1.5-2”) with a silver center-bar garrison buckle. Preferably something cheaper than One Star and Hollows. Any suggestions?
Don't Mourn Organize belts in bridle ($80), harness ($75) and regular cowhide ($70) leather with choice of buckles. All hand made to order.

1628128063953.png

1628128084539.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 7.50.33 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom