Best 80's Action Film

Best 80's Action Film

• Total voters
Predator. Top, top film. Brilliant how they cast Venus Williams as the predator. And who can forget Jesse Ventura's top, top line:

"I ain't got time to bleed"

Escape from New York! Snake Plissken is a mean bastard!

Last edited:
I agree, Escape Form New York needs to be included. Great soundtrack too. I would also include: 48HRS, A View To A Kill, Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold, Flash Gordon, Highlander, The Jewel of The Nile (and the one before) and for Disney does James Bond comedy Condorman.

There's also a French film The or Le Professional which had a hit theme tune, which was a like a James Bond film done badly and turned French, utter crap. But worthy as it's so bad and corny its funny and also shows how good Hollywood was as an alternative.

I haven't seem Top Gun since the 80s, I wonder if it has dated rather badly like an episode of Miami Vice?

Last edited:
Watching Commando as I type. Arnold had such a great physique, only Frank Zane could rival

Best 80s movies with action:

Tuff Turf
Red Dawn
Wild Boys

There can only be one: Escape from New York

Edit: I didn't read the comments. Glad to see you agree

Speaking of Schwarzenegger, no CONAN?? First no best actor Oscar for Arnie, now this latest snub - he will be avenged!!

giphy.gif

Speaking of Schwarzenegger, no CONAN?? First no best actor Oscar for Arnie, now this latest snub - he will be avenged!!

giphy.gif

Conan is one of those movies that is hard to watch the whole thing because it's so slow. You can see two five minute scenes and say that you've seen the best of it.

Arnold is undoutbedly the greatest action "hero" ever.

Watching Commando as I type. Arnold had such a great physique, only Frank Zane could rival

Thoughts on Commando:

He was so jacked he couldn't even run well in the movie. He does that arms hanging at his side run the whole time.

This was Arnold's only attempt at a mullet. Half-hearted at best.

His antagonist was half his size, had the physique of a toll-booth operator, and inexplicably wore a chain mail shirt.

Ammunition was not a concern, nor was accuracy.

In spite of all this, it's an amazing action movie.

I agree, Escape Form New York needs to be included. Great soundtrack too. I would also include: 48HRS, A View To A Kill, Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold, Flash Gordon, Highlander, The Jewel of The Nile (and the one before) and for Disney does James Bond comedy Condorman.

There's also a French film The or Le Professional which had a hit theme tune, which was a like a James Bond film done badly and turned French, utter crap. But worthy as it's so bad and corny its funny and also shows how good Hollywood was as an alternative.

I haven't seem Top Gun since the 80s, I wonder if it has dated rather badly like an episode of Miami Vice?

Agreed on Escape from New York but I knew it wouldn't finish in the top 20, so I didn't mention it.

Every other movie you've mentioned is utter shit. 48 Hours is cringe-inducing with the race stuff. The only one that is remotely watchable is The Highlander. You have Sean Connery playing an Egyptian who is an inexplicably referred to as the Spaniard. And people bringing in katanas to wrestling matches. But it's got some enjoyable cheese.

Agreed on Escape from New York but I knew it wouldn't finish in the top 20, so I didn't mention it.

Every other movie you've mentioned is utter shit. 48 Hours is cringe-inducing with the race stuff. The only one that is remotely watchable is The Highlander. You have Sean Connery playing an Egyptian who is an inexplicably referred to as the Spaniard. And people bringing in katanas to wrestling matches. But it's got some enjoyable cheese.

This post disqualifies you from participating in you own thread.

I haven't watched 48 Hours for quite sometime, I mentioned it as an 80s film, of the time, for the time that I thought was terrific back in the day. Perhaps I would think it was utter shite now.

Does anyone remember that straight to VHS video horror movie with soundtrack by Tangerine Dream The Keep? I thought it was a great film.

I haven't watched 48 Hours for quite sometime, I mentioned it as an 80s film, of the time, for the time that I thought was terrific back in the day. Perhaps I would think it was utter shite now.

Does anyone remember that straight to VHS video horror movie with soundtrack by Tangerine Dream The Keep? I thought it was a great film.

I liked the Keep

How about the very first Robocop?

I remember watching that in China as a child, i actually cried. Didn't know the antagonist was played by Kirkwood Smith until I rewatched the movie after watching all episodes of The 70's Show.

First installment of First Blood is not as action packed as the later ones, but I definitely enjoyed it. It was very dramatic..

I think Arnold and Sylvester are two of the best action actors as they have stayed consistent with that genre and never failed.

Mad Max 2.

Where Shooey and FXH defend a post-apocalyptic Melbourne against Lord Humungus – The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla and his vicious gang of pritti-homo punks...

Lord Humungus.jpg

Last edited:
Alians definitely not action.

I guess this brings up a taxonomic debate. I think sci-fi is more a setting than a genre, as you can have sci-fi horror movies (Alien, Event Horizon), sci-fi action movies (Predator, Aliens), sci-fi romance (Passengers), etc...

So by my just-made-up reasoning, Aliens is an action movie.

I guess this brings up a taxonomic debate. I think sci-fi is more a setting than a genre, as you can have sci-fi horror movies (Alien, Event Horizon), sci-fi action movies (Predator, Aliens), sci-fi romance (Passengers), etc...

So by my just-made-up reasoning, Aliens is an action movie.

Event Horizon might be the scariest movie I have ever seen. I thought it was just straight SciFi, then I didn't sleep for two days

I used to have that problem...

...with E....;)

Those were the days...

Yeah, it took a really dark turn. Great movie.

Definitely.

I clearly remember watching it the first time. I had just moved to California, and was alone in my pad with basically no furniture but a bed and my TV. I was like "Wonder what's on TV, oh, this looks interesting." <45 minutes elapse> "WTF is going on" <Another 45 minutes> "Holy Shit!"

Those were the days...

Definitely.

I clearly remember watching it the first time. I had just moved to California, and was alone in my pad with basically no furniture but a bed and my TV. I was like "Wonder what's on TV, oh, this looks interesting." <45 minutes elapse> "WTF is going on" <Another 45 minutes> "Holy Shit!"

I remember that film, its the one where they open a gateway to hell on a spaceship! Watched it at the flicks. Dantean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom