Biagio Granata experiences?

BespeakUK

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXgLVgKAjLx/?taken-by=biagiogranata

It appears the above are made for crampton. On other pics trousers look way too tight, and jacket looks stupid. Theres also a pic of him on his feed wearing brash designer sneakers and suiting lmao

This guy has only really appeared on the bespoke scene in the last year - to my awareness anyway

Prices are solid for someone starting out, but question is does he have the skillset

Work seems decent for the money and bespoke, potentially interested in getting some odd bits made from him

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXgLVgKAjLx/?taken-by=biagiogranata

It appears the above are made for crampton. On other pics trousers look way too tight, and jacket looks stupid. Theres also a pic of him on his feed wearing brash designer sneakers and suiting lmao

This guy has only really appeared on the bespoke scene in the last year - to my awareness anyway

Prices are solid for someone starting out, but question is does he have the skillset

Work seems decent for the money and bespoke, potentially interested in getting some odd bits made from him
Let me ask you, if he's already got photos of somewhat suspect workmanship, and he's displaying them proudly, what makes you think that his work will be good for you? Or, as you say, "decent for the money"?

Let me ask you, if he's already got photos of somewhat suspect workmanship, and he's displaying them proudly, what makes you think that his work will be good for you? Or, as you say, "decent for the money"?
For every product or service in this world, people have negative things to say about it. E.g. issues with samsung phone exploding, or interface or this and that, people still buy it. Albeit tailoring is different but still cramptons pieces and i recall he said on ig was decent.

its also a case of if you instruct the tailor well enough. if you know what you're after and have experience then less likely to be fucked over
likewise if you are only looking for trousers, less prone to error e.t.c

For every product or service in this world, people have negative things to say about it. E.g. issues with samsung phone exploding, or interface or this and that, people still buy it. Albeit tailoring is different but still cramptons pieces and i recall he said on ig was decent.

its also a case of if you instruct the tailor well enough. if you know what you're after and have experience then less likely to be fucked over
likewise if you are only looking for trousers, less prone to error e.t.c
That's fair. Let's get down to brass tacks then. What are you looking for him to do and what does he charge?

All I had to say on Biagio's work is on the Disagreable Menswear Thread. Indeed very decent work for the price.

The work he did for me is here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUCwoi7gmzT/

Excepted some minor flaws (trouser and waist too tight) he corrected, I'm globally very satisfied of the work, particularly for the navy suit. I engaged a third suit with him and all the minor flaws had disappeared at the first fitting. The trouser was already perfect.

My main advice is relative to his house cut which is way too tight. Be aware of this when you'll have the basted fitting. You're right: communication is the key.

I don't know if he'll pursue his european TS tour a long time. He seemed exhausted the last time I saw him. He has a very agressive strategy on the market with very low margins. When he'll have win a loyal customers basis I suppose he'll raise his prices.

Last edited:
Granata's work (at least the finishing) looks ok. More standard than exceptional, but I guess it's a case of "you get what you pay for".
I do wonder, however, whether the current "Neapolitan tailoring hype" causes young tailors with little experience to start out on their own a bit too early to have enough of said experience to handle tricky figures like that of Crompton.

Granata's work (at least the finishing) looks ok. More standard than exceptional, but I guess it's a case of "you get what you pay for".
I do wonder, however, whether the current "Neapolitan tailoring hype" causes young tailors with little experience to start out on their own a bit too early to have enough of said experience to handle tricky figures like that of Crompton.

You're right. It was a bet and I didn't expected much. The result is very good for the price but my degree of satisfaction wouldn't have been the same if I had pay the double or the triple. There are some sure values on the London market like Paone at 2500 euros and it could be a better entry point for Bespeak. My short experience tells me it's always a bit "hit-or-miss" with Italians. Concerning Crompton it's sure he has a tricky butt difficult to handle (Cifonelli jacket).

Cifonelli-jacket-in-Paris.jpg

All I had to say on Biagio's work is on the Disagreable Menswear Thread. Indeed very decent work for the price.

The work he did for me is here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUCwoi7gmzT/

Excepted some minor flaws (trouser and waist too tight) he corrected, I'm globally very satisfied of the work, particularly for the navy suit. I engaged a third suit with him and all the minor flaws had disappeared at the first fitting. The trouser was already perfect.

My main advice is relative to his house cut which is way too tight. Be aware of this when you'll have the basted fitting. You're right: communication is the key.

I don't know if he'll pursue his european TS tour a long time. He seemed exhausted the last time I saw him. He has a very agressive strategy on the market with very low margins. When he'll have win a loyal customers basis I suppose he'll rise his prices.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You're right. It was a bet and I didn't expected much. The result is very good for the price but my degree of satisfaction wouldn't have been the same if I had pay the double or the triple. There are some sure values on the London market like Paone at 2500 euros and it could be a better entry point for Bespeak. My short experience tells me it's always a bit "hit-or-miss" with Italians. Concerning Crompton it's sure he has a tricky butt difficult to handle (Cifonelli jacket).

View attachment 24349

Most likely just start with some odd casual trousers. Cheaper then nearly every MTM - seems a no brainer
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV9JP5ThCqd/?hl=en&taken-by=sartoria_paone

I see paone and can't help think this guy, his suits always slook so terrible....Also not sure he actually comes london?

Also does anyone know a good place/tailor to attempt to get this made? I love! the look of this raincoat. The @ in the pic i believe are proper eyetalians as such do not respond to email/any communications
image2.jpg

Also does anyone know a good place/tailor to attempt to get this made? I love! the look of this raincoat. The @ in the pic i believe are proper eyetalians as such do not respond to email/any communicationsView attachment 24351

What's the point to have a bespoke raincoat? I'd understand for a formal overcoat but a raincoat? Frankly Bespeak, buy a Crombie or a Barbour or a Mackintosh, it'll be as good.

What's the point to have a bespoke raincoat? I'd understand for a formal overcoat but a raincoat? Frankly Bespeak, buy a Crombie or a Barbour or a Mackintosh, it'll be as good.
that or a raglan coat in similar style

im c.47 around the chest, and 32/33 on waist. You tell me where to buy RTW garments that fit. K. Thanks. Bye

im c.47 around the chest, and 32/33 on waist. You tell me where to buy RTW garments that fit. K. Thanks. Bye

Freaking drop... Are you a scottish docker or do you enjoy ghey bodybuilding? Please post a photo of you in your sartoria Vergallo suit. We want to see the monstrous result.

Last edited:

Yes, that's difficult to fit off the rack in a suit, but a raincoat/mackintosh isn't meant to be form-fitting.

Raincoats are usually fairly straight in construction, without a nipped waist, so as long as you can find a jacket that fits your shoulders and chest, you don't really have to worry about the waist.

Been a while since anyone posted anything about Biagio Granata, but I noticed this over on SF:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/psa-biagio-granata-is-a-thief.645487/

"Warning to all: don’t use Biagio Granata or atleast pay him until full delivery of clothes.

Biagio Granata took full payment on two sport coats and two pairs of trousers over last year and refuses to deliver a finished product or respond to my notes. I see him prancing around Europe and New York taking new clients but he literally will not finish my clothes.

First fitting was in April 2018 I believe then another in late summer. Since then, zero. He keeps just saying please wait.

It is fricken terrible given I’ve gotten many full commissions from traveling tailors two times over since seeing him.

14 months for a simple job and now zero communication m? He was even in NYC and never told me he was coming. Such BS"

I notice that Crompers used him and has had some issues, too:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/05/biagio-granata-summer-jacket-review.html

FFS, Crompers never has issues with anyone. He gets the star treatment because he runs an influential blog ("A world leader"). The rest of us pay through our noses (whereas Crompers gets lots of freebies) and get treated like shoite.

Paying upfront, isn't that the calling card of the petit bourgeoise?

There's a shirtmaker here that is quite fashionable, but he makes all his clientele pay up front. And they go for several fittings of the shirts and washes to get it just right: tight as a corset and very low and wide when the collar is undone.

Why waste time like that? Get your man to in-build a bit of shrinkage allowance and away you go on some daring do mission.

FFS, Crompers never has issues with anyone.

In some ways, I appreciate his politeness. In other ways, I do wish he would be more critical, yet still polite - as one can, of course, be polite and yet clearly and fulsomely point out the shortcomings of a product or a service.

At the risk of sliding off-topic, Crompton's suit from P.Johnson is perhaps a good example. It was a pretty poor suit and he said that he wasn't happy with it, but his criticism was mild and he was at pains to point out that it was MTM, rather than bespoke.

Then, when commenters starting talking about how P.Johnson's claims of making suits in the Netherlands and Italy were mostly false (entirely false in the case of the Netherlands, sometimes false in the case of Italy), Crompton quite properly gave P.Johnson a right of reply, which he published, but he didn't ask any questions of P.Johnson. The man is (or was) a journalist, and yet he didn't press them to provide any actual evidence of their manufacturing but simply published their statement and effectively said that was the end of it. No questions were asked about how their suits could have been manufactured in the Netherlands, as they claimed, when it appears they used/still use Munro for suits. Munro, of course, is a company that is based in the Netherlands - but none of their suits are made there but are instead mostly made in China.

In some ways, I appreciate his politeness. In other ways, I do wish he would be more critical, yet still polite - as one can, of course, be polite and yet clearly and fulsomely point out the shortcomings of a product or a service.

Crompers couldn't possibly provide any useful reviews. Not when he's known in the industry and beyond. There's a reason why Michelin reviewers travel incognito.

Also, politeness? Hand that feeds you, not biting, etc.

There was a bit of a discussion about this over on SF a month or two back. Fok and some others thought it normal to only give mild criticism, for much the same reasons.

Personally, I was sceptical (and so were some others). I suppose it depends what stage your career is at. If you're starting out, I can well understand why you'd want to be careful, not burn any bridges and so on. However, there are plenty of reviewers - restaurants, cars, movies and so on - who have no hesitation in putting the boot in when they consider it is warranted. Crompton is pretty much a mover-and-shaker nowadays (like it or not) - clothing companies (in the relatively small pool of our sort of tailored clothing) actively seek him out as they want the publicity that he can provide. I would argue that being seen as an honest, straightforward, trustworthy reviewer would add to his brand, rather than detract from it.

Then, when commenters starting talking about how P.Johnson's claims of making suits in the Netherlands and Italy were mostly false (entirely false in the case of the Netherlands, sometimes false in the case of Italy), Crompton quite properly gave P.Johnson a right of reply, which he published, but he didn't ask any questions of P.Johnson. The man is (or was) a journalist, and yet he didn't press them to provide any actual evidence of their manufacturing but simply published their statement and effectively said that was the end of it. No questions were asked about how their suits could have been manufactured in the Netherlands, as they claimed, when it appears they used/still use Munro for suits. Munro, of course, is a company that is based in the Netherlands - but none of their suits are made there but are instead mostly made in China.

There's a couple of Persian shirtmakers around who make shirts in The Netherlands. There's several outfits who imply their jackets and suits are made in the Netherlands. That Munro is careful not to overstep the line, but the language is caged on their website and they boast 75 personnel hinted at being in their facilities in Amsterdam.

75 refugee boys sewing under a single lamp, in the basement under a Amsterdam brothel. Sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom