Boxing & UFC

I wonder if jujitsu and Gracie ruined mma. Then again the UFC is doing damn well so I guess Gracie didn't ruin mma.

That press conference was such a circus. Just fight. I hope this fight doesn't turn into the one like Ali vs thr Japanese wrestler. Co or is stupid for thinking he can go one dimensional and beat Mayweather. I think Conor can kill Mayweather in the Octagon but not in a boxing ring.

One thing I learned early in life: In any sort of competition, you don't play the other man's game.

I wouldn't pay $100 to watch any athletic event. Both the combatants seem like such obnoxious men that I am quite indifferent to the outcome. Since Mayweather is heavily favored, I have a natural tendency to root for the underdog, but then I ordinarily would favor a boxer over a mixed martial artist, so that kind of balances things out. Although all the smart money seems to be on Mayweather, McGregor does have a substantial advantage in size and youth. I think the latter may have a "puncher's chance."

I wouldn't pay $100 to watch any athletic event. Both the combatants seem like such obnoxious men that I am quite indifferent to the outcome. Since Mayweather is heavily favored, I have a natural tendency to root for the underdog, but then I ordinarily would favor a boxer over a mixed martial artist, so that kind of balances things out. Although all the smart money seems to be on Mayweather, McGregor does have a substantial advantage in size and youth. I think the latter may have a "puncher's chance."

That's all he's got...

Well, I see Mayweather stopped McGregor in the 10th. The latter was never knocked off his feet. I am inclined to think referees are much more hasty about stopping fights these days. I supposed that's for the better. At least McGregor made a real fight of it in the early rounds, and it wasn't the one-sided slaughter that many pundits had predicted.

i can't be the only one thinking mayweather bet himself on the over of 9.5 rounds tonight.

Should I bother watching it? Was it better than Ali and the Asian guy? Is Mayweather still saying he's the greatest of all time?

McGregor performed better than I thought he would, but he tired very quickly in the last 3rd..

It appears he is leaning towards embodying the title of this thread - as long as someone pays him to do either sport, win or lose.

canelo in another decision over ggg. i thought this fight was even more in favor of ggg than the first. they're both getting old now.

wait, you thought an undefeated fighter who drew with Wilder in his previous fight was washed up?

Plus his new trainer is a disciple of Emanuel Steward(his nephew) and had him focused on their aggressive fight plan. Wilder can't fight moving backwards.

All of that was pretty moot once Wilder got hit with that right on the ear. He never recovered.

wait, you thought an undefeated fighter who drew with Wilder in his previous fight was washed up?

I remember him doing coke and the tabloid photographs of him being fat. I don't recall his father was terribly positive on him at that time.

Plus his new trainer is a disciple of Emanuel Steward(his nephew) and had him focused on their aggressive fight plan. Wilder can't fight moving backwards.

All of that was pretty moot once Wilder got hit with that right on the ear. He never recovered.

exactly. Fury could always box. His new trainers taught him to punch with power. He upped his weight on purpose to support that more aggressive plan.

completely defeated Wilder’s one-gun-will-overcome-everyone approach.

Mayweather is fighting random people on YouTube? I thought the MMA guy was bad enough but this YouTube guy has had one fight and gets to challenge someone undefeated since Atlanta had its Olympics?

I guess whatever pays hundreds of millions.

Mayweather is fighting random people on YouTube? I thought the MMA guy was bad enough but this YouTube guy has had one fight and gets to challenge someone undefeated since Atlanta had its Olympics?

I guess whatever pays hundreds of millions.

36auN1.gif

There were no judges. How do you know who wins besides someone withdraws or falls face flat on the mat?

Fury and Wilder was actually promoted amongst the sports bars in my area. Not sure how people from British time can actually watch it given it was aimed for Pacific time.

One of the best heavyweight fights ever. 5 knockdowns in 11 rounds. Wilder proved himself to be a truly poor loser too.

They don't draw biological stuff for cocaine afterwards.

One of the best heavyweight fights ever. 5 knockdowns in 11 rounds. Wilder proved himself to be a truly poor loser too.
Yes Wilder is a poor loser.

For Joshua v Usyk, Joshua spent more time preparing his entrance than how he would handle the fight. So a smaller man - but a better boxer - outclassed him. I suppose there will be a rematch and Fury will fight the winner. Joshua box appeal is greatly diminished as he has been beaten twice now.

Fury and Wilder was actually promoted amongst the sports bars in my area. Not sure how people from British time can actually watch it given it was aimed for Pacific time.
Boxing audiences have changed since it moved from terrestrial TV and the number of governing bodies multiplied. The UK active boxing audience has a large element of chavs and semi-criminal types prepared to pay £25 to watch a fight at 4 or 5 in the morning. The rest of the population can get a good night’s sleep and then watch a recording of the fight for free the following day.

As a slug fest and endurance battle.

As an exhibition of the skills of boxing it does not compare to the decades of the great fighters.

As a slug fest and endurance battle.

As an exhibition of the skills of boxing it does not compare to the decades of the great fighters.
If you want technique, watch the lower weight classes. Did you watch the entire fight? As a heavyweight fight it is up there.

If you want technique, watch the lower weight classes. Did you watch the entire fight? As a heavyweight fight it is up there.

Agree.

3 of the top 5-10 fights of all time(as considered by many), Gatti v Ward, Corrales v. Castillo and Hagler v. Hearns were just slugfests. Technique, by both fighters, rarely makes it onto the list.

Last edited:
The best fighter of this generation, PBF, won't see one of his fights go down as an all time great.

2 of his most dominant fights were PBF vs Chico Corrales....PBF vs Gatti? All time greats? Hardly. Yet his technique and skills in those 2 fights were amazing. This coming from someone who thought Chico would win that fight!

The best fighter of this generation, PBF, won't see one of his fights go down as an all time great.

2 of his most dominant fights were PBF vs Chico Corrales....PBF vs Gatti? All time greats? Hardly. Yet his technique and skills in those 2 fights were amazing. This coming from someone who thought Chico would win that fight!
PBF = Floyd Mayweather?

"Jake Paul called his sixth-round knockout of Tyron Woodley 'the moment of my life' after he extended his perfect record to five wins.

The YouTube star, 24, beat the ex-UFC champion for the second time in four months, after a points win in August."

A YouTube celebrity beats an ex UFC person in...boxing? Is this even a sanctioned match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom