Christmas 2017

Fwiffo

Comes off as a condescending prick
Supporter
Where is everyone this Christmas? The 2017 edition.

Christmas this year falls neatly as a four day long weekend. I still have at least one or two gifts to buy but I’m having logistics issues getting it back home. My parents delayed putting up the tree until this past week and I doubt they will be stringing up Christmas lights. I found out that a lot of their neighbours are using professional Christmas lighting…people. Who hires people to do that? Do people also hire vendors to decorate their tree?

I’ve found this year that the stigma to saying Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas is diminishing. The happy holidays rubbish has disappeared from buses and other forms of public transit. I don’t understand why it’s an issue as even Muslim families I know subscribe to the gift giving and festive cheer. They certainly all participate in the Boxing Day sales – capitalism is that universal faith that unites all of us.

Besides visiting a surrogate daughter of mine on Christmas Eve, I will be attending the usual Christmas dinner. This year all my geographically immediate cousins will be there. Often one or two couples disappear on vacations. Last year, my second cousin left on a flight to Asia leaving his wife behind because he couldn’t find a good deal to fly out on Christmas day. Who does that – cue all ethnic stereotypes. In a past Christmas he gifted tickets to a theatre show to someone. The seats weren’t side by side. On closer inspection, the show times weren’t the same. They were the matinee and main show on the same day. He reckoned the recipients would have a great time shopping downtown and they could take turns watching the show.

That said I’m still making my usual Best Buy gift certificate gift and a bottle of something something to this cousin. My mother describes it as hopeless charity – repeated acts of kindness with no expectation of anything in return. I expect to receive an Ikea holder for toilet paper, or perhaps a waffle batter for a waffle maker which I don’t own.

I’ve said many times on the forum I wanted to pursue purchasing this 1967 vintage Taylor Fladgate. There are only three bottles left in the province as of last weekend. Why blow away $300 of port on the unsophisticated connoisseur. Truth be told, I don’t know how many years I have left with my folks. As one of the youngest in the extended family, and childless, Christmas gatherings may be much shorter in the years to come. Why not go all out – whilst you have the time to do it. You only live once as my father always says.

As I’m in charge of alcohol at Christmas dinner, I decided to do veuve NV this year for champagne, a cheap German Riesling for white, Lagavulin distillery edition for whisky, and this Spanish red I read was comparable to those from Burgundy. That one cousin in law who drinks beer - well, I'm quite sorry. Be a man and drink properly.

Boxing Day will be reserved for going to the local pub to catch a Premiership game. I doubt they will show West Ham, but one can be hopeful.

Quite the itinerary Fwiff. I'm in the usual mode, which is a good thing as I quite enjoy it. The four day weekend is certainly convenient.

Packing up tomorrow to head up to the river house, my folks are already there. Will be the five of us tomorrow, then my brother comes up with his lady and baby on Sunday, as does my Grandma. It's a much more sedate affair than when the aunt's and cousins et al. were involved.

Cooking Osso Buco for Xmas eve dinner, paired with Risottoa alla Milanese or course. Grabbed Billecart Salmon for pre dinner bubbles and a few bottles of 2009 Domaine de la Vougeraie Clos du Vougeot for the meal. Too much whisky to list.

Xmas morning will be presents with family, then back to the beach for Christmas dinner at my in laws. Tuesday most likely I'll see my dad and his wife. At this point I'll be ready to go back to work.

You need to enjoy the family side of it, as this all disappears when those holding it together are no longer alive or divorce splits family allegiances. Like Sunday dinners, a lot of my memories of Christmas are spoilt with my father's stifling narcissism becoming particularly embarrassing and awful during the period, especially with booze.

I was in work early this morning, waiting on stuff from India for China. After that, it was last presents for the kids. Now I'm home alone as everyone's out doing the food shopping. But it won't be an English Christmas dinner, it'll be the Russkie stuff from now until after New Year.

We're picking the brother-in-law off his ship in Antwerp tomorrow and then....that's about it this year. Will FaceTime my mum a couple of times. Watch a couple of episodes of The Crown, go for a walk around the lake and through the woods.

Plenty of hard liquor, wine, port and tonic water to last to the New Year. But I'm the only one drinking as everyone else is tea total in my family.

Not much contemplation either, just chilling and getting ready to ride the wave out of the business depression in 2018, either that, or start looking for a new career.

You need to enjoy the family side of it, as this all disappears when those holding it together are no longer alive or divorce splits family allegiances. Like Sunday dinners, a lot of my memories of Christmas are spoilt with my father's stifling narcissism becoming particularly embarrassing and awful during the period, especially with booze.

True. I think it will carry on here as I enjoy putting on the holidays, and all the divorces happened when me and my wife were toddlers so it's always been this configuration. It will definitely be different when my folks pass for me. Not sure how I will take it. The grandkids will obviously have a different perspective.

We are looking at a very busy 2018 here, hopefully yours picks up.

Cooking Osso Buco

Is that your signature dish?

Plenty of hard liquor, wine, port and tonic water to last to the New Year. But I'm the only one drinking as everyone else is tea total in my family.

What's that like?

I have nearly all my gifts wrapped. I have to buy the opera tickets for my parents, the culinary tour for my brother and his wife, and one gift certificate tomorrow.

Driving to my mate's house with a bunch of Christmas gifts for his family at 930 on Christmas Eve. I get to spend time with a very loquacious 7 year old. Really a shame she was pulled out of her art classes. I offered to pay for the classes if costs were a concern but at least I'm bringing her more arts and crafts stuff she can keep herself busy with. Then we have lunch and tea and I get to listen to him moan about how he is slowly being pushed into the lower class. Mate, I got you into the country and you're now director at a competitor - be thankful. As the 10-15cm snow will start falling after 1300, I have to hurry home. I think we'll finish the rest of this roast beef that is cooking right now on Dec 23 on Christmas Eve. My brother is coming by whilst I'm out to pick up our family gift for the sister in law's family. Dodged one!

Christmas Day my brother and sister in law return around lunch time to open gifts. Then we'll probably play some inane Xbox game that my sister in law can comprehend and participate. After that we'll have to transport the gifts to my aunt's house a few minutes away, and then I have to get the bar set up there. I'm fully prepared for the snide remarks, the judgmental condescending side comments, and if one of my cousins doesn't pace his drinking, a dinner and a show. I'm 99% positive my aunt is making turkey. There will be the usual supermarket canapes laden with sodium. For whatever reason, my aunt also thinks making pasta is a good idea.

Boxing Day. I found out the local pub only opens at 12 so we get to see Liverpool vs Swansea. At least I get to have a pint of pride and some bangers. I could take Uber with my mate to an Irish pub that opens earlier (actually Christmas night!) but I like this one since it has Fullers.

Only thing missing is a last minute dinner from my father's high school mate. He usually calls one Boxing Day or Christmas Eve. As a former chef and owner of a bakery, he cooks up a nice dinner but apparently he is wracked with gout. I reckon that also means there's no point to gift a bottle of alcohol to him.

Calm and chilly on the river this morning.

20171224_100046.jpg

Queuing the Sound of Music playlist for the kids. Someone has to teach them.
IMG_20171224_1225554.jpg

My second Christmas card from her. Another year and I might get complete sentences.
IMG_20171224_1457180.jpg

We are looking at a very busy 2018 here, hopefully yours picks up.

It's been picking-up here too with good traction in the last few months, so unlike some, I am confident that we've made the right moves during the bad times to prepare for the good times.

What's that like?

It's better than drinking with the expats in the Hague. I'm use to it now, of course, I'm the only one who lets rip in this household. But I've never dated ladies who would get pissed, let alone merry, ever. Not necessarily by choice, it just happened that way. But people can drink, or not, it's not going to hinder, or encourage me either way. Booze is there as a tool. I choose to use it.

Now I'm in trouble for leaving the kids presents beneath the tree before they had properly gone to bed....

My surrogate daughter realized they have a fireplace that doesn't have a chimney. A disconnect has surfaced as to how Santa will actually get into the house to leave the presents.

My surrogate daughter realized they have a fireplace that doesn't have a chimney. A disconnect has surfaced as to how Santa will actually get into the house to leave the presents.

I told my mob that we would need to make sure the fire was out so that Santa could get down the chimney without getting burnt and they just laughed. When we FaceTimed my mum and it happened to be that my nephew and his Bollywood girlfriend was there which threw them for a moment, but when asked, they said that don't worry about father Christmas as the father Christmas in the Netherlands is in the boot/trunk of my car.

I still don't understand how tropical and southern hemisphere folks celebrate Christmas. You need the cold, maybe not snow, but at least cold to make people congregate inside - share in laughter, conversation, drink and merriment. You also need an excuse to eat a ridiculous amount of calories and high sugar or cholesterol things you normally wouldn't even touch.

I still don't understand how tropical and southern hemisphere folks celebrate Christmas. You need the cold, maybe not snow, but at least cold to make people congregate inside - share in laughter, conversation, drink and merriment. You also need an excuse to eat a ridiculous amount of calories and high sugar or cholesterol things you normally wouldn't even touch.
this is why everyone's fat and miserable here

I've spent three Christmas's in the southern hemisphere, the worse being in Duque de Caxias a suburb of Rio. The heat was 47 degrees and I was physically ill to the extent I just lay in bed with only a fan to keep away the mosquitos and cool my fevered brow. Couldn't each much either, just drank Coca Cola for the duration. New Year is great in Copacabana though.

Now to the Lord sing praises,
All you within this place,
And with true love and brotherhood
Each other now embrace;
This holy tide of Christmas
All other doth deface.
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,
O tidings of comfort and joy.

Most of the gifts are at the other tree where we're having dinner tonight.
IMG_20171225_1125417.jpg

Nice. Hudson Bay sounds very Canadian too.

It’s not all about consumption though. Expectations management makes for a good day.

Well I hope you know that was one of the royal charters a la East India Company. I'm actually not sure what's in that bag or for whom it's for. All the booze is what I'm bringing over to the dinner tonight. I still have yet to imbibe. My brother and sister are due to return from their Anglican church service in an hour or two.

Nice crawl around three local pubs on Saturday. Lively. but not too crowded for comfort. Bought cheese on Sunday, but could not be bothered to go to Paxton and Whitman or Neals dairy so got some Waitrose Stilton and double Gloucester.

Aldi champagne today. I don’t have sophisticated tastes for sparkling wines which means it does not hit my wallet. All sorts of veg, including sprouts and parsnips. Mince pies, Quality Street and all the usual suspects. Christmas pud once that has settled. No telly it looks crap. I had watched ‘Line of Duty’, from the first series up to where the caddy gets killed, on the iPlayer in the run up to Christmas Day.

Brentford v Villa tomorrow. I don’t usually bother on Boxing Day with no trains but one of my pals was keen to blow away the cobwebs. Booked for 2pm kick off then the bar stewards shifted to an evening kick off to suit Sky TV.

Merry Christmas all lumpen tacky profanators & Murroquian haters

Hopefully you all got non-pinstriped giaccas without fussing that burns and smells like a riot tire on Napoli. No armpit bags either.

Hopefully Sarto got a platinum nose implant

At my aunt's house last night for dinner...
IMG_20171225_1717492.jpg

Off to the pub in a few hours for Boxing Day football.

Merry Christmas all lumpen tacky profanators & Murroquian haters

Hopefully you all got non-pinstriped giaccas without fussing that burns and smells like a riot tire on Napoli. No armpit bags either.

Hopefully Sarto got a platinum nose implant

No idea what any of this means. Referencing other threads, it does not seem to be how they talk in Saskatchewan - or at least Alberta, which is as close as I have been.

Dropped the brother-in-law off at the airport this morning, he's looking for a solution to get his money out of the Ukraine as the banks are all collapsing. Looks like Germany will give him a bank account as a non-resident. I'm surprised he hasn't considered Switzerland, even I've got some banking solution there. Anyway, it was all red eye stuff to me at the time of the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom