Coffee Nerds Unite

Grand Potentate

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
I'm trying to branch out from my normal coffee routine of pour over in a Bonavita porcelain clever.

I've been trying french press for the past week and have experimented with several grind and coffee/water ratios. Today was a dark organic french from Whole Foods, ground on the french press dial using the Bunn grinder at the store, at a 1:15 coffee/ratio with water at 205 degrees. I used the method similar to this:

Where he scoops off the grinds before pressing. I ended up with this in my cup:

IMG_0006B04CAD50-2322-4772-9138-E9D5DBBDB282.JPG

Which is just too fucking muddy for me. I suppose I've gotten spoiled with my cleaner cups from the clever style coffee. Suggestions on what I'm doing wrong are welcome.

Also tried out the Aeropress again. I think I ground the coffee too fine and ended up with silt in my cup and a bitter mess of shit. Any Aeropress fans welcome with their recipes.

Might be the grinder. Those in store ones can leave some of the grounds as basically dust.

Might be the grinder. Those in store ones can leave some of the grounds as basically dust.
It actually produced a more even grind than the one in Costco. Still, its all I've got to work with since I don't have a grinder at home.

Could it possibly be the press? I've got a big 8-cup that I'm really only filling half way full. When I press it the filter doesn't have enough coffee underneath it to really press the shit out of the grinds.

It actually produced a more even grind than the one in Costco. Still, its all I've got to work with since I don't have a grinder at home.

Could it possibly be the press? I've got a big 8-cup that I'm really only filling half way full. When I press it the filter doesn't have enough coffee underneath it to really press the shit out of the grinds.

It could be but without seeing it I really couldn't say. Pushing even is very important, a lot of people just whack at it and just slightly off center action can let stuff by.

A good burr grinder will produce a lot more even grounds though, so I suspect that may be it. It's no the end of the world though, a lot of coffee places in Europe do really fine grinds and there's always dregs like that. Kinda a personal preference if you can deal with it or not

It could be but without seeing it I really couldn't say. Pushing even is very important, a lot of people just whack at it and just slightly off center action can let stuff by.

A good burr grinder will produce a lot more even grounds though, so I suspect that may be it. It's no the end of the world though, a lot of coffee places in Europe do really fine grinds and there's always dregs like that. Kinda a personal preference if you can deal with it or not
Admittedly its not the end of the world, but it is annoying me that I can't drink the last 1/3 of the cup, and that I can taste the powderiness in the coffee. Leaves a bit a silt on the sides of the cup every time I drink some. I bought a Bonavita drip machine to try out. Might have to get a smaller french press as well.

geez - I love coffee but the only thing worsererer than Suit Scientists is Coffee Scientists.

Strangely the home of the worst coffee on earth - USA - is also home to OCD Coffee Scientists

Rambo you prissy silt avoiding fusspot - get a drip filter. Problem solved.

I gave up coffee couple years ago, caffeine in such large doses is bad for your health. I'm on chinese green tea now.

Rambo you prissy silt avoiding fusspot - get a drip filter. Problem solved.
Don't judge me and my addiction!

Coffee nerds are mostly hipsters, so your dislike makes sense.

I want to branch out and experiment. And if you'd read the OP you'd know that a bought a drip pot to test out.

Just get a normal bodum french press for $20.

Best to cold brew for less acidity.

i got a bialetti brikka and a kamira for home use (espresso and cappu)
everything else is easier to get at a bar

My wife doesn't drink coffee, so to this day we don't own a coffee maker. We have a simple Hamilton Beach electric kettle, one of the old-school-looking jobbies. When company comes I either make them a pourover, or if there are a lot of guests I bust out the Via packets. My wife can't make coffee for shit.

We have a couple of places here in town that roast their own coffee, but right now I'm really liking the Back Pedal Brew from Middle Fork Roasters which I believe is up in Seattle. The local gourmet market carries it and it's outstanding. I grind it with a pinch of Kosher salt and drink it black with a little bit of brown sugar.

I like my coffee like I like my women: sweet, nonfat, hot as hell, and all over my crotch when I'm driving.

black with a little bit of brown sugar.
alright, this is a new one for me. i've heard of the salt before but never heard of anyone using brown sugar in their coffee.

you could always go with the old Eddie Izzard line "I like my women like I like my coffee, hot and strong, with a spoon in them."

If you guys are looking for some different beans, check out my man Nathan's outfit. He lives in Ohio and does a few small batches that are fantastic.

Home

alright, this is a new one for me. i've heard of the salt before but never heard of anyone using brown sugar in their coffee.

you could always go with the old Eddie Izzard line "I like my women like I like my coffee, hot and strong, with a spoon in them."

I don't do much baking, so fuck white sugar. And double-fuck that whole "raw sugar" bullshit.

I view white sugar and brown sugar like milk chocolate and dark chocolate. Anything I could make with white sugar will be better with brown sugar. In coffee it's magnificent.

in the awful tea-drinking nation that russia is, you often get brown rock sugar for your espresso

I am not a coffee nerd. I want a balance between something that is quick to make and can produce three very large size high caffeine cups in a few minutes for me to chug down before hitting the road each morning. Preferably that does not taste like shit - so no to instant coffee.

A big sized French press was working for me for a long time but the wife was getting annoyed by the mess and coffee grounds I’d leave in the kitchen so she got me a Nespresso Alto. Coffee was ok and it is definitely quick and clean, but the damn thing has such a limited life - I’ve broken/exchanged four in two years now.

the Aeropress looks good, but fiddling with each single cup in the morning doesn’t sound any faster than a press.

Any other suggestions?

I am not a coffee nerd. I want a balance between something that is quick to make and can produce three very large size high caffeine cups in a few minutes for me to chug down before hitting the road each morning. Preferably that does not taste like shit - so no to instant coffee.

A big sized French press was working for me for a long time but the wife was getting annoyed by the mess and coffee grounds I’d leave in the kitchen so she got me a Nespresso Alto. Coffee was ok and it is definitely quick and clean, but the damn thing has such a limited life - I’ve broken/exchanged four in two years now.

the Aeropress looks good, but fiddling with each single cup in the morning doesn’t sound any faster than a press.

Any other suggestions?
I’ll swear by the Sage/Breville double boiler - it is expensive, but I love it more than I love my kids. I do a double shot capuccino for me in the morning and a single one for my wife in minutes, perfect very time, and it carries me through the day.
You can pre-program it to power up and warm up before you use it, so it’s ready to go by the time you hit the kitchen.

I’m going to try de-scaling this turd before I send it back and replace it. Since we have a home water softener and filter, I don’t think it will help but worth a shot.

Any other suggestions?

Any other suggestions?
What’s the name of the nespresso machine? If it’s a virtuo line they seem to be more prone to complications than the original line. I’m a original line fan.

aeropress is big with the coffee nerds but requires a lot of fiddling with grinds and temperature.

maybe something like a Chemex? Why not an automatic of some kind? Just grind your beans put the coffee in the filter and go.

What’s the name of the nespresso machine? If it’s a virtuo line they seem to be more prone to complications than the original line. I’m a original line fan.

aeropress is big with the coffee nerds but requires a lot of fiddling with grinds and temperature.

maybe something like a Chemex? Why not an automatic of some kind? Just grind your beans put the coffee in the filter and go.
Yep. I still have the original Nespresso and it’s going strong for my wife. The only reason I got the virtuo was that I was reloading the damn machine like a belt fed machine gun, slamming 6 to 9 pods every morning before running out the door. The issue seems to be with the bar code reader that is supposed to sense what size pod you are loading into the virtuo.

Ill look into the Chemex and whatever else you recommend. In the meantime, I’m going to get cold brew started while I fiddle with the machine.

If you’re using that many pods at once you really need to step up to a full size espresso machine. It’s really not what the nespresso was intended for. Or just move to brewed coffee. I can give you recommendations for automatic machines if you like.

I've got everything - except a Nespresso style pod machine. Coffee press x 3 sizes (USA = French press?), Bialetti stove top , Vacuum Candle thingo, Aeropress, Filter jug and filter one cup and the main household Auto machine.

I had a DeLonghi Prima Donna fully auto for a few years - with inbuilt burr grinder. But it was getting old and having problems - De Longhi and their agents are dreadful - min aud$500 to look at ANYTHING - no guarantees - no help with spare parts etc etc at all. No open access to repair manuals. Luckily I found a few helpful YOUTUBE videos of tear downs and fixes - mainly Russian and I got some spare parts and O rings from Germany for around $10 including post! Found local Food Grade lube for $6 or so.

This time it broke down was electronics - I suspect computer chip board - beyond my DIY skills and I didn't trust DeLonghi to repair at reasonable cost.

I looked at the equivalent model new and it was around aud$2,000. Too much we decided.

I would have been happy with a setup my mate has - separate burr grinder, good manual machine etc. But Ms didn't want the stuffing around so I got a cheaper ~$700 fully auto DeLonghi lesser model w. internal burr grinder (+ got an extra $100 or so knocked off). Just warm milk - and press one button.

Its not as good as the better DeLonghi auto I had for coffee but its not bad at all. Still better than a lot of Cafe Coffee.

I find the Aeropress good for a cup but a (small) bit of faffing around if more than one cup. But requires already ground beans or a separate burr grinder all negative convenience points.

In the end you CAN make good coffee with almost anything and enough trial and error feedback.

This machine is dead - like all the others, it’s the scanner that reads the little bar code on the pod that seems to be dead.

I’m drinking cold brew until I find time to replace this piece of junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom