Corduroy

Dropbear

Gives Off Rather Strong Cop Vibes
I thought the moleskin could do with a sister thread.

This winter I will pick up a couple pairs of cords. Pants style not 5 pocket jeans-cut, straight-slim but not skinny, possibly a wide wale in some earthy green, brown and perhaps burgundy tones.

Cordings look wonderful, but the price is beyond me. Dockers are cheap and seasonally disposable - but mostly 5 pocket. What else is there in between?

Feel free to share pics, reviews, recommendations etc.

Good thread. I'm on the Cordings bandwagon but they ceratinly aren't the cheapest.

I want to say that Macy's and their Club Room store label sometimes have decent looking cords in wider wale. I imagine they finally caught up and are no longer baggy pleated messes. They were always "not quite" in the past, so I never got them but take a look if passing by.

I think Tyrwhitt may make some decent ones? Don't hold me to that though.

I love cords. Currently have three pairs, navy (j. crew), off white (RRL), and purple/eggplant (Borrelli luxury vintage, kopped cheap off Ich_dien off SF). The last pair is hardest to wear, but I manage. I might go for a pair of burgundy ones this fall if I can find the right hue. I think they are great pants for cooler weather, soft, warm, and versatile. I prefer them over chinos/khakis.

Alright what color of shirt besides white?
20141014_191813.jpg

That's tricky as minor shade variations will make a big difference. Light blue might work, but I'm thinking a loden or olive. And of course ecru.Maybe some pale yellows?
Drab sweaters may be the way to go here.

That's tricky as minor shade variations will make a big difference. Light blue might work, but I'm thinking a loden or olive. And of course ecru.Maybe some pale yellows?
Drab sweaters may be the way to go here.
I was think pale yellow or olive check of some sort. I usually wear with white shirt but was thinking more adventurous. I think mini checks of with red/olive/yellow/blue might work

Better color representation. I still can't believe I was able to kop these Borrelis (not the vintage line apparently) off SF for under 100 bucks shipped from Italy back in it's good days
20141014_203033_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Last edited:
Thin = more casual and thick = more formal? Or do I have that in reversed order.

The higher the number, the thinner the wale.

the wider the wale the more casual it is.

Just wondering what people's range is for wearing with odd tweed jackets and such.

Wale is the cords per inch. I like 8 wale, meaning each cord is 1/8" wide. My one pair may be 6-wale.

Good educational info.

Wearing tweeds with cords give too much of a math professor vibe IMO. Maybe windowpane or glenplaid? There was a pic taken at Pitti Uomo a few years ago, IIRC some guy was wearing yellow color cords with a dark navy windowpane jacket, and I thought it looked good. You guys might think its clownish though.

Different strokes. Wouldn't wear yellow trous even before I saw Gianni sporting them.

Don't think of typical plain herringbone tweed or plain/solid Harris tweed.

Tweed with a pattern or overcheck, or houndstooth.

Cords go well with an odd jacket with texture and doesn't look all math teacher IMO

Had a pair of Borrellis in olive that I lopped from SF when B&S was still good. Fine wale, and they went well with a lot of things.

Check these out, you could rock these. I couldn't
image.jpg

Or check this one out (no don't, you'll go fucking blind)
image.jpg

More like this - no, not really
image.jpg

Getting closer but we need less pretension. Lose the scarf.
image.jpg

This is more like it
image.jpg

I've done the wide-wale cords with a herringbone tweed coat plus an emblematic tie and it definitely was a tad on the fusty and stodgy side. I'm fine with that of course.
I find the shetland crew neck sweater with cords to be a divine pairing. It hits that rich, casual, neat vibe dead on.

Who is that in the first picture?

Maybe not mustard yellow, but more egg yolk yellow. I wouldn't rock them in that color sine I am already yellow enough.

I would totally wear burgundy or maroon cords though.

I agree with you, jackets with texture will look good with cords. Tweeds in the last picture or tweeds in minichecks would look great.
I like the last picture. Need a full shot. For some weird reason, I am not feeling the purple sweater underneath even though I have a pair of cords in that color.

What do you guys think shoes wise? I think chocolate suede, shell, and chromexcel like the above would look good. No black though.

I've done the wide-wale cords with a herringbone tweed coat plus an emblematic tie and it definitely was a tad on the fusty and stodgy side. I'm fine with that of course.
I find the shetland crew neck sweater with cords to be a divine pairing. It hits that rich, casual, neat vibe dead on.

Like anything, while the clothes can indeed make the man, the man, depending on his looks, shape, age can either make it look good, bad or ugly.

This guy is a regular at Poole

image.jpg

I like the last picture. Need a full shot. For some weird reason, I am not feeling the purple sweater underneath even though I have a pair of cords in that color.

What do you guys think shoes wise? I think chocolate suede, shell, and chromexcel like the above would look good. No black though.
Tweed_Base_02.jpg

Most darker browns should be fine. Gunboat wingtips, loafers, some boots, mocassins, the boring PTB....

That sweater changed is playing tricks on my eyes. It went from purple to gray. But looks good.

A pair v-cleat shell imperial florsheims would look great with cords. Chunkier soles would look better than the Italian varieties.

Cords origin America or England?

What is a Drab sweater BTW?

Just drab, muted color. Like the gray above, or oatmeal khaki or natural/ivory/cream. Any boring ass shade that would be dull as dishwater with khaki.

Gotcha. I think cords in themselves are bold especially those with strong hues, a muted color top adds a simple and soft subtlety to the entire fit.

I ordered two pairs of tailored-fit, hemmed 14 whalers from lands end this weekend - just under $100. I think I got a mid-brown and hunter green. At that price, they don't have to be awesome - I just want them to fit and last for a couple of years.

I was think pale yellow or olive check of some sort. I usually wear with white shirt but was thinking more adventurous. I think mini checks of with red/olive/yellow/blue might work

Better color representation. I still can't believe I was able to kop these Borrelis (not the vintage line apparently) off SF for under 100 bucks shipped from Italy back in it's good days
20141014_203033_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Be careful using yellow with those. It will match the pants, but it's a shit load of color, like when you turn the TV saturation up too high. A very pale cream with some sort of over check would be safer I think.

Like anything, while the clothes can indeed make the man, the man, depending on his looks, shape, age can either make it look good, bad or ugly.

This guy is a regular at Poole

View attachment 3173

I didn't consent to have my picture posted.

Just think how easy it would be to get up in the riggings. Just hoist you ip

Be careful using yellow with those. It will match the pants, but it's a shit load of color, like when you turn the TV saturation up too high. A very pale cream with some sort of over check would be safer I think,
I was thinking checks as well to offset the vertical direction of the whales.

I'm not a fan of Cord pants but Cord jackets can't be beat. Perfect this time of year.

I have 2 BB cord jackets, tan and navy, and a thrifted Orvis tan cord jacket, which is possibly my favourite jacket I own.

I'd love to see some pics of cord jackets worn well. My overall impression is cheesy 1970s , but I am happy to be corrected.

I'd love to see some pics of cord jackets worn well. My overall impression is cheesy 1970s , but I am happy to be corrected.
Do you mean sport coat or like the Levi jacket in corduroy? The former suffers the same way all cotton tailored clothing does, as it doesn't hold shape. Tan and navy I can't get into, but greens, brown, and really dark reds maybe.

Do you mean sport coat or like the Levi jacket in corduroy? The former suffers the same way all cotton tailored clothing does, as it doesn't hold shape. Tan and navy I can't get into, but greens, brown, and really dark reds maybe.

I was indeed thinking sport coats. I have seen some nice cord sport coats with all the features that I usually like - but I just can't get past the whole icky 70s factor. I'd love to be convinced that a tan/brown cord coat can still look sharp.

Dare to believe Dropbear Dropbear !

I think it comes down to construction and structure. Canvassed versus not.

Voxsartoria

image.jpg

image.jpg

Howard Yount
image.jpg

I actually thought JimmyRustler was referring to cord jackets, not cord odd jackets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom