Coronavirus

Pimpernel Smith

The Daily Mail well behind the news cycle, the decree was in place Saturday night and all non-essential industrial production and businesses closed for 15 days:

Pimpernel Smith

At this time, you need this music in your life, designed to beat fascists and also applicable to this plague:

Play it, absorb and come out fighting! We can beat it!

Fwiffo

Supporter

I thought this was the world superpower. The leading nation of the free world. If anyone was going to survive the Coronavirus it ought to be the United States of America.

ballmouse

Apparently 2 people in my apartment complex were taken to the hospital yesterday. Folks suspect they were ill with COVID-19.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
Don't fear. Your president says everyone will be going back to work soon. All that will change is that you won't shake hands anymore.

Do you realize American COVID testing apparatus is better than South Korean tests? It is also a big thing that America tests in 8 days what South Korea has tested in 8 weeks. It hasn't got a handle on things in NY but it is important to mention I guess. Nurses are wearing garbage bags.

But the best one from his news conference today was that he was asked why he is planning on deploying the military to the Canada US border to prevent Canadians sneaking in illegally and spreading the virus. However, President Trump spoke that there are already soldiers at the boarder trying to prevent Canada's illegal trade because we apparently are still dumping steel into America.

Fucking bizarre. Yesterday he shit on ALL US allies and NATO. Plus said American ventilators and medical equipment is the best but the Euros conspired against y'all so you can't sell it there. He mentioned something about a different system in Europe. Different plug ends?

But Cuomo thinks one needs to couple social distancing and business closures with a "get back to work" strategy. And sharing ventilators too.

Great news for y'all on the job front though. Walmart, Dominos, Amazon are all going to hire tens of thousands so your problems are over.

With all this going on, who the fuck from Canada would want to be crossing illegally into the US right about now?

Thruth

Supporter

I thought this was the world superpower. The leading nation of the free world. If anyone was going to survive the Coronavirus it ought to be the United States of America.
Trump is smarter than all of us. He will get America back to work very soon. The way, more deaths but lower unemployment. Just kick the body to the curb for express collection and have the next applicant fall in line. Once the supply of able-bodied Americans starts to tank, DACAs will be granted citizenship and they step up to the conveyor belt. Then give all the H1-B Indian programmers a green card and they won't even care if you give them a mask or not.

"What is the scope of this corpse-bearer job, Sir?"

Pimpernel Smith

The news is breaking out now from Italy that there's a significant number of young people getting badly sick and dying.

The aunt of one of my Italian colleagues there has got it. Been told stay at home to you can't breath.

PM Mark Rutte will bring the next round of restrictions in next Tuesday. Still plenty of people letting their kids out to play in groups.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Trump is smarter than all of us. He will get America back to work very soon. The way, more deaths but lower unemployment. Just kick the body to the curb for express collection and have the next applicant fall in line. Once the supply of able-bodied Americans starts to tank, DACAs will be granted citizenship and they step up to the conveyor belt. Then give all the H1-B Indian programmers a green card and they won't even care if you give them a mask or not.

"What is the scope of this corpse-bearer job, Sir?"
Technically if the total number of unemployed and employed shrink and the remaining people alive continue to grab the jobs of the dead then unemployment shrinks.

The news is breaking out now from Italy that there's a significant number of young people getting badly sick and dying.

The aunt of one of my Italian colleagues there has got it. Been told stay at home to you can't breath.
My boss says you have to know a doctor personally to see one in Milan. Queuing randomly at the hospital doesn’t get you any medical attention.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Depending on the projections being used for pandemic planning, with a 30% infection rate, 80% of cases will have mild symptoms and be at home. 15% will require hospitalization but not in ICU. 5% will require ICU and this is where the highest mortality will be. The overall fatality rate for all cases uses 3% to 5% in projections. Horses for courses. YMMV.
Keeping in mind that if you haven’t tested the whole population as opposed to a sample, (especially with a disease that may have no or mild symptoms) your denominator in death rates is only a good guess.

In addition various juristrictions seem to have different ways of recording “cause of death” .

Add in that news/media outlets, no matter how earnest and trustworthy, have no fucking idea about epidemiology or population health. Or even stats.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Covid-19 may well be the first ever Rich Persons Disease
Yes, and there may be a reason for this. In Victoria the rich areas have the most infections (Toorak and Mornington Peninsula), and many of those have likely gotten rich by deals made with CCP in China. The same goes for Queensland, the Gold Coast and Brisbane have the highest infections, and probably the areas with the heaviest deals with CCP figures also.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
The reports from Chinese insiders are that millions of Chinese have been killed by the CCP virus in China.

Source from here:
remember when l said that Chinese insiders were saying they had fires all over Wuhan, and l said they were probably burning all the bodies in pits. Now it makes sense, it is probably what they are doing.

What's more, most Chinese have been forced back to work, yet many still have the virus.

Thruth

Supporter
Keeping in mind that if you haven’t tested the whole population as opposed to a sample, (especially with a disease that may have no or mild symptoms) your denominator in death rates is only a good guess.

In addition various juristrictions seem to have different ways of recording “cause of death” .

Add in that news/media outlets, no matter how earnest and trustworthy, have no fucking idea about epidemiology or population health. Or even stats.
it is all about planning to try and cope with the peak cases that will swamp capacity

güero

Boris Johnson has the virus now.

He’s working from home.
He's going to be fine, just like Charlie. If more celebrities get it, maybe that will finally readjusted the public psyche and people will understand it's just the flu. It's flat out ridiculous how pretty much everyone has switched to panic mode. And it's very funny how the virtue signaling is still on, but has rapidly changed it's content, now it's "look everyone I'm staying at home and washing my hands" instead of "look everyone I'm buying organic and driving electric". It's pathetic.

Thruth

Supporter
He's going to be fine, just like Charlie. If more celebrities get it, maybe that will finally readjusted the public psyche and people will understand it's just the flu. It's flat out ridiculous how pretty much everyone has switched to panic mode. And it's very funny how the virtue signaling is still on, but has rapidly changed it's content, now it's "look everyone I'm staying at home and washing my hands" instead of "look everyone I'm buying organic and driving electric". It's pathetic.
Most uninformed post regarding COVID-19. Thanks for that.

güero

No, not really, it's actually pretty data-driven and fact based. But please continue to panic, it's a (mostly) free country!

Pimpernel Smith

No, not really, it's actually pretty data-driven and fact based. But please continue to panic, it's a (mostly) free country!
Data driven and fact based: this ain't no flu mate.

There's still a few of them out there like you. Deep in denial, sending the kids out to play, laughing it off, not sanitizing hands, still not social distancing, whilst the real heroes on the front lines our doctors and nurses are either overwhelmed or fighting a grim battle not to. Italy turned into a complete war economy mobilized for the sole mission of national survival.

This ain't where you think it's at. We're in a much darker place, pull-up a chaise longue, break out that six pack, you're going to need it when reality bites.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter

güero

Data driven and fact based: this ain't no flu mate.

There's still a few of them out there like you. Deep in denial, sending the kids out to play, laughing it off, not sanitizing hands, still not social distancing, whilst the real heroes on the front lines our doctors and nurses are either overwhelmed or fighting a grim battle not to. Italy turned into a complete war economy mobilized for the sole mission of national survival.

This ain't where you think it's at. We're in a much darker place, pull-up a chaise longue, break out that six pack, you're going to need it when reality bites.
That's ok, I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of the curve, that happens every once in a while. See, I stocked up supplies and prepared for a lockdown in mid-January, when the WHO was still advising against travel bans and stating that everything was fine. I sold my complete stock portfolio in early Febuary, when our dear health authorities were still proclaiming that there is no real risk for the population. I told my parents to stfh in mid/late February when everyone else was out for carnival (and they laughed at me, like everyone else up until ~two weeks ago). Etc pp. Over the last couple of days I have started to change my opinion based on the data I'm seeing and the information I'm getting. But that's just me, everyone else can still panic. We'll se how it turns out.

Kingstonian

I don’t know how corona will pan out. Choose your expert and take it from there. They also change their minds though. Notably the bloke from The Lancet.

I am taking care, driving instead of public transport, nowhere to go etc.

I do worry the economy will be completely screwed and I think Trump is right to want people back at work as soon as possible. The problem is nobody agrees when that should be. I am retired so it is easy for me to say.

They never downed tools during the Spanish flu though.

Kingstonian

I dont get this clapping for NHS workers either.

What are we, performing seals?

Say a prayer. Light a candle. With religion in decline this is what we get in its place.
It’s similar to public outpourings of grief for Lady Di.

We used to better than that.

Thruth

Supporter
Oh, you are directly involved in in health system pandemic planning and services? So your experiences have been exactly what pray tell?

Are you running out of PPE? What is your prediction for percentage of population needing ICU + ECMO? Working on procuring ventilators for the peak? How about the mobile hospital and morgue planning and implementation?

But thanks for coming out.

Pimpernel Smith

They never downed tools during the Spanish flu though.
The mortality rate so far, is much higher than the Spanish flu.

What are we, performing seals?
Nothing wrong with clapping for front line essential stay-alive-or-die workers.

So just in case you are directly involved at a higher level of responsibility, let me take the opportunity to congratulate you on a spectacularly bad job. You should have taken all the necessary preparations in January, at the latest. Anyway, I don't think your isolated experience is very helpful. Because there is at least one person "directly involved etc." that says people in Madrid are dying of panic, because hospitals got overrun by people with mostly very mild systems and that killed their resources for treating actual sicknesses. So who's right?

Some interesting facts about Italy: Average age of test-positive deaths is 81, 90% are older than 70. 80% had one or more chronic diseases, esp. cardio, diabetes. Only 1% of deaths were healthy = no such chronic diseases. So far, there is no excess mortality in Italy. In Northern Italy, ICUs are at 85-90% capacity even in regular winters, they get overcrowded every couple of winters. 90% of test-positive deaths are not in ICU, but at home or in regular care.
Dig it: everything in Italy is running smoothly. No cause to be alarmed. No excess mortality.....

You seem to be sniffing a different batch or vintage glue than the rest of us.

Scherensammler

This will be interesting to follow over the next couple of weeks:

There is still some evidence for this being a giant hoax and there is at least one interesting conspiracy theory. Imho it is 50:50 whether this will turn out to be just another mass hysteria / moral panic.
Will be interesting to see Japan's numbers later this year. Their statistics will not show deaths from the virus as much, but more the general numbers.
I hope the Brits on this forum stood outside yesterday and cheered and clapped for the "key workers" in The UK.
Wonder if the world will be clapping and cheering when most of it will be in utter misery and even more broke.
Not to mention a China style system of tracking and surveillance everywhere along with a cashless society. Not to forget getting chipped like an animal.

Journeyman

Supporter
If more celebrities get it, maybe that will finally readjusted the public psyche and people will understand it's just the flu.
The mortality rate for the flu is generally about 0.1% - or one person in 1000 with the flu dies.

The mortality rate for the COVID-19 coronavirus differs considerably by country, particularly depending upon whether their health system has been swamped by very ill people. However, at it's lowest, the mortality rate appears to be 0.5%, so five times higher than the flu, up to 5% or more in some places - so anywhere from 5 to 50 times higher than the flu. I read a couple of articles that surmised that the mortality rate in Wuhan at the peak of the coronavirus infection there was 12% (120 times higher than the flu!) despite the new hospitals that were built in a matter of days, as the health system could not cope.

The problem is that more people with coronavirus appear to need hospitalisation than is the case with the flu and it's often not just for a day or two, but a few weeks. So if numbers of coronavirus patients rise, the health system can very quickly find itself overwhelmed and, of course, if that happens then it cannot provide care for people and deaths suddenly increase as people cannot be treated.

This is the reason behind the measures we are currently seeing - by adopting these measures, we are attempting to prevent coronavirus numbers from spiking so that our health systems are not overwhelmed and people do not end up dying of coronavirus because they cannot get the care they need.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Seasonal flu has killed around 23,000 so far this year. Covid19 has killed 29,000 and rising exponentially. Others have already stated the effects of exceeding hospital surge capacity - which increases mortality rates (which is probably about .3% of all infections) massively (could go as high as 7-8% of all known positive test results).

Yes, the symptoms for most people aren’t more severe than the flu and the r0 is far lower than MERS. But the threat to a community is still staggering if left unchecked. This could decimate a population.

Top Bottom