Coronavirus

Fwiffo

Supporter
Strange situation, I've got one of my employees coming into The Netherlands from a designated Red Zone, which I don't agree with as they can easily be replaced locally and received this from the Client: ''essential works'': xxxxxx is designated by the Dutch government as critical sector to cope with COVID-19, being production of xxxxxxx. The works by xxxxx group for the project are part of this critical sector and exempted from the advised 10 days quarantine, similar to works as necessary journalism, professional sports, government officials etc.'' So I've backed down.

It's weird that in the time of pandemic, that journalists and sports people are exempted from travel restrictions. Well, journalists I can get to a certain extent, but not fully....professional sports is just absurd.
Our company is implementing if I am from a red zone I can't go into an office that is in a lower zone. Obviously I am close to the epicentre.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Out threshold for closing county schools was 7% positivity. We hit that within a month of schools opening, so now they just keep raising the bar higher to avoid sending kids home for remote learning. That said, in my kids school about 80% of parents opted for remote and 20% sent their kids back onto campus.

güero

It's weird that in the time of pandemic, that journalists and sports people are exempted from travel restrictions. Well, journalists I can get to a certain extent, but not fully....professional sports is just absurd.
The rules are made by idiots. It is obvious ineptitude, on a scale rarely seen before.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing

Fwiffo

Supporter
Are you worried about surviving.. with permanent hair loss and loss of taste and smell?
On the flipside I am not sure many people are surviving under current circumstances except those people who have kids and became grateful they can stare at them 24/7 in the same household or introverts who have agoraphobia.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Is it popular the shame people in Australia? We're getting into that too but only on demographics and neighbourhoods. Next up: Covid lynching and scalping.

Pimpernel Smith

One of my foot soldiers rang me from France, I asked him how was it going there with the virus? He's a Brit and said his brother complains about Boris, but the situation in France is as bad with conflicting and constantly changing instructions and a controlled media. He said all the small businesses are closed and everyone is now in crowded in supermarkets. The police are everywhere checking paperwork and masks and you get a Euro 135.00 fine if caught out.

The mood he advised is increasingly hostile to authorities and the gossip is that the fines are a revenue generating tax by the State.

Interestingly, here in the Netherlands, the face mask mandatory requirement in public places by law doesn't come into effect until 2-Dec. I needed to do my biometrics so was in the center of The Hague...all rather grim with the restaurants closed and although the small shops are open, business wasn't thriving.

To the point: afterwards I went to the Mall of The Netherlands to get my vitamin D supplies and something struck me - a couple of weeks ago everyone was wearing face masks, now I estimate 1/3 weren't. With the new law change, one would expect the opposite. I also went to an Italian restaurant/wine merchant and whilst the restaurant section was closed, they we're having a wine tasting and everyone was unmasked, except me. For the record: I bought a Bordeaux. I'm not a fan of Italian wines.

Pimpernel Smith

Dr. Roger Hodkinson, Chairman of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons committee in Ottawa, CEO of a large private medical laboratory in Edmonton, Alberta and Chairman of a Medical Biotechnology company selling Covid tests:

Fwiffo

Supporter

"It is understood rules will be relaxed to give people an extra hour to finish their food and drinks after last orders at 10pm.

Before lockdown there was some evidence that tiers two and three were having an impact, but not tier one.

Crucially, both the top two tiers involved banning mixing inside homes, so one option being discussed behind the scenes is introducing a ban across all the tiers until winter is over."

Yes - extra hours...but why are numbers going down now?

"
The exception will, of course, be Christmas.

That is a move that divides opinion. But the government sees it as a necessity, believing significant numbers of people will ignore any attempt to ban gatherings over the festive period.

It is also a recognition the public needs a break from the long hard slog of the pandemic.

Infection rates will of course rise, but that will be offset to some extent by a wider boost to wellbeing."

Clearly a wider boost to well-being is a metric the government can measure...

Pimpernel Smith

"It is understood rules will be relaxed to give people an extra hour to finish their food and drinks after last orders at 10pm.

Before lockdown there was some evidence that tiers two and three were having an impact, but not tier one.

Crucially, both the top two tiers involved banning mixing inside homes, so one option being discussed behind the scenes is introducing a ban across all the tiers until winter is over."

Yes - extra hours...but why are numbers going down now?

"
The exception will, of course, be Christmas.

That is a move that divides opinion. But the government sees it as a necessity, believing significant numbers of people will ignore any attempt to ban gatherings over the festive period.

It is also a recognition the public needs a break from the long hard slog of the pandemic.

Infection rates will of course rise, but that will be offset to some extent by a wider boost to wellbeing."

Clearly a wider boost to well-being is a metric the government can measure...
They're trying to rule by fear whilst Boris's government is in clear disarray. There's something sinister when they gloat for every day you have with your family over Christmas and New Year there must be 2 days sacrificed in severe lock down afterwards.

The Lancet revisits the 1957 and 1958 flu pandemics:

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Victoria 23 rd straight day with no new cases. Only 1 active case. Popn. around 6.5m. (I haven’t been keeping track but bugger all in rest of Oz popn. Around 25m except for 22 cases sudden outbreak in South Australia)

restrictions relaxed from midnight tonight. Masks only required inside. Shops public transport etc. Still mostly work from home. Allowed 15 visitors a day at home. Restaurant s open but space and numbers limits inside.

most people here relived but still cautious. Many nervous about mixing again after so much time in lockdown. Not so much of virus worry just hard to get used to mixing with people. All my meetings since March have been online. Mostly zoom. Tuesday will be my 5th AGM online.

Fwiffo

Supporter
They're trying to rule by fear whilst Boris's government is in clear disarray. There's something sinister when they gloat for every day you have with your family over Christmas and New Year there must be 2 days sacrificed in severe lock down afterwards.
That’s a good deal. Quebec is bargaining with their citizens - 4 days of holidays means 10 days of isolation before and 10 days after. I think that’s what thy are at now. Your ratio becomes 1 day of freedom for 5 days of quarantine.

Fwiffo

Supporter

"Meanwhile, US Housing Secretary Ben Carson said he believed he was 'out of the woods' after being 'extremely sick' following his positive Covid diagnosis earlier this month.

On Facebook, Mr Carson, a retired neurosurgeon, said Mr Trump 'cleared me for the monoclonal antibody therapy that he had previously received, which I am convinced saved my life'"

Trump the saviour. Trump the healer.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter

güero

Calculate how many family members you are going to kill in your hometown:

I'd be interested in where/how that website is supposed to do this calculation, but looking at the "USA Risk Estimates By County": This confirms the infection risk for smaller family thanksgiving/christmas get-togethers is fortunately rather low. I don't know how good all those risk calculators are, but I hope they use reasonable data and that people use them. You can also calculate hospitalization/ICU/mortality risk for all the people you are going to infect: https://south-dakota.covid-age.com/

Fwiffo

Supporter

"The pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca said Monday that its Covid-19 vaccine could be up to 90 percent effective in preventing the disease — a third breakthrough in the fight against a pandemic that has killed nearly 1.4 million people worldwide."

Why does everyone's efficacy rate go up after their first news report? I fully expect someone will announce they are 101 percent effective now.

"Analysis of data from a Phase 3 trial of the vaccine developed by Oxford University in the United Kingdom showed that it was 90 percent effective when half a dose was administered followed by a full dose. In another dosing regimen, when two full doses were administered, the vaccine was 62 percent effective, researchers said, resulting in combined average efficacy of 70 percent."

If I do a half, followed by full, followed by quarter...what happens?f

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Victoria - Population 6.5 million - - Australia -
No new cases for 25 days straight.
No active cases.

Pimpernel Smith

Our company is implementing if I am from a red zone I can't go into an office that is in a lower zone. Obviously I am close to the epicentre.
We've got someone demanding specific Covid policies and procedures to be implemented globally so we're ready for the third and fourth waves and then boasts they have zero cases in Western Australia. Then they state the local Apple store as a company we should follow suit with face masks and lining people up 2 meters apart in the office and lead them to their desks each morning.

There's a definite whiff of authoritarian regimental Maoist madness great reset in the air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom