Coronavirus

Pimpernel Smith

475 deaths. They will exceed China tomorrow.
Whatever is raging there in northern Italy is very serious indeed.

Our office in Florence will start working from home as of Thursday. Many road blocks just to get to the office. The office building is practically empty now, as is mine and the car park has no more than half-a-dozen cars in during the day. Starting to see field operatives in Spain and Italy advise they're not moving from their locality or town.

Our Chinese colleagues are sending encouragement they know what lies ahead.

They missed St Greta. Meanwhile, Woke culture seems to have vanished almost overnight. As quick as it came!

Someone told me Merkel's addressing the nation tonight. Watch carefully....we may find there's nothing behind the mask, or the plot is engaged.
Merkel displayed her vacuousness. An empty canvas that you could project anything on to keep the narrative going.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Whatever is raging there in northern Italy is very serious indeed.

Our office in Florence will start working from home as of Thursday. Many road blocks just to get to the office. The office building is practically empty now, as is mine and the car park has no more than half-a-dozen cars in during the day. Starting to see field operatives in Spain and Italy advise they're not moving from their locality or town.
Sadly I know what lies ahead of my colleagues in Europe and in APAC. But I just never have enough time. People are already feigning illness or claiming insecurity and leaving work.

Pimpernel Smith

Sadly I know what lies ahead of my colleagues in Europe and in APAC. But I just never have enough time. People are already feigning illness or claiming insecurity and leaving work.
This is psychologically damaging for many who can't acknowledge risk and the proverbial hitting the fan. It's unnerving for the rest of us too. We're entering into that period when people do get colds and the flu as the season changes from winter to summer. Felt like I was getting a cold yesterday and naturally you're going to factor in it could be the virus.

The best you can do is get people working from home as quick as possible. My wife's work are big on Team meetings, so everyone knows that they are indeed working from home and not tossing it off.

There's a long march ahead and the Woke are finished. For them it's game over. The reprogramming back to real life is going to be tough and challenging.

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
Any countries with strong ties to the chinese communist regime are suffering from the virus the most heavily.

Where Ties With Communist China Are Close, the Coronavirus Follows

And remember it is the CCP virus (chinese communist party virus) because if it wasn't for the CCP's cover up of this virus it could have been contained and many deaths and inconvenience avoided.

Heaven will destroy the CCP because regimes are not meant to rule the world. It is the opposite of life, it represents death and has countless blood on it's hands. One-belt-one-road and the Confucius Institutes are all tied into the CCP.

Last edited:

formby001

To all those dickhead journalists, pundits and Twitter/online expert who think that China has led-the-way.

Remind them of this:

1584603082460.png

The Shooman

A Pretty Face
The journalists got conned because the World Health Organisation has strong communist influences, and that is why WHO said the CCP had handled the crisis well.

and also remind them of this: the regime is sending chinese home who still have symptoms of the virus. Why? Because the CCP want the public to think they have fixed the situation and are in control.

The CCP lies about everything, and that is why they need to censor there media and the internet.

Fortunately something good will come out of it. Silly people will be forced to stop having everything made in China. Countries will become more independent again. The world order is changing as we speak. Open borders and globalisation doesn't work.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

To all those dickhead journalists, pundits and Twitter/online expert who think that China has led-the-way.

Remind them of this:

View attachment 33406
And they're far from completely open for business. Still lots of travel restrictions for Chinese travelling across regions and having to into official quarantine places if you decide to.

viva la france!

Those cities are going to be increasingly grim as the crisis continues. Cooped up in small apartments, no chance for cafe culture, bars and restaurants. Small supermarkets stocked-up on the just-in-time principle with limited stock in the back.

We have our first worker isolating having been in contact with someone who has it. Her and her husband are being tested today in Germany. It will get ever closer in the days and long months ahead.

Pimpernel Smith

The virus is accelerating some digitilization and the Rev.04 in my sector. The buzz is that you will lose 15% of the business short term. My perspective is that will free you to give heightened focus on where it counts. Long term I see positives all around. Especially as all the new technologies become off-the-shelf, all those who invested in super-duper-in-house-bespoke have made a costly mistake.

But for sure, certain businesses and disciplines won't come back after this.

Fwiffo

Supporter

"Capasso said after landing in Peru on March 9 and spending several days seeing sights such as the Sacred Valley and the Inca ruins of Machu Picchu, things took a turn for the worse.

...On Thursday afternoon, the State Department raised its global travel advisory to level 4, advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel because of the pandemic."

Nothing like getting stuck in a country that believes martial law will solve coronavirus.

Honestly you still wanted to travel 9th March?

güero

Has anyone seen a sensible explanation why people in many countries are hoarding tp? I think it’s psychologically very interesting.

Kingstonian

Has anyone seen a sensible explanation why people in many countries are hoarding tp? I think it’s psychologically very interesting.
Anyone know if all Americans call the stuff ‘tp’. I watched the series ‘Fargo’. The term came up twice before I realised what they were on about. Then I thought it was a ‘Minnesota nice’ expression.

I still don’t know if Minnesota nice is Hollywood stereotyping without actually saying ‘Slow, boring, polite but dull. Not the sharpest tools in the box.’

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Anyone know if all Americans call the stuff ‘tp’. I watched the series ‘Fargo’. The term came up twice before I realised what they were on about. Then I thought it was a ‘Minnesota nice’ expression.

I still don’t know if Minnesota nice is Hollywood stereotyping without actually saying ‘Slow, boring, polite but dull. Not the sharpest tools in the box.’
Americans always confuse me by saying “bathroom” when they mean toilet. I always wonder why they need a shower before I twig. There’s a strong Puritan streak in USA.

Pimpernel Smith

Already posted on the toilet paper: it comes in large soft and comforting packs. There's hoarding, profiteering and genuine I need to buy this as I might not be able to get out again, or get it again.

My approach has been to get two weeks worth of certain foods in to ensure in the case of lock-down that we can stay self-sustained and avoid outside contact to protect my family one of which is the grandmother who lives with us and my wife who had nasty bout of pneumonia which has damaged her lung capacity. This is measured and not hoarding. I started that as a mission 2 weeks ago and have built on that. Toilet paper way down my list. But have topped up on stuff and maybe I will end with a load of SPAM and Pot Noodles I want to get rid of. I seem to remember the German government advising recently that their citizens should have a month's supply of food in.

There's clearly not a shortage of food, but certainly a shortage of shelf space. That's the issue in the city supermarkets.

Went to get some booze from the food wholesaler today, they had security on and have introduced glass barriers between you and the staff. Also limiting to 2 people per card. They were busy restocking the spaghetti, limits on toilet paper (2 packs) and the Bordeaux and Burgundy section were somewhat depleted. Never seen that before. All other booze well stocked.

Was also at the Group accountants today and it's been a blood bath for them. Lots of businesses going down extremely fast. Some in unexpected sectors. We've enjoyed a mini-boom, but France all of a sudden has gone dead with cancelled projects and temporary closures. It's the same curt message from all. Almost as if this is the line to be taken in explaining the situation.

The first signs of social distancing here in the Netherlands and face masks, still loads of kids and dog walkers out in groups. Mine aren't and I will maintain that for the coming period. We have a large garden thankfully. The King gets his turn to address the nation tonight. I expect it will be grim and stoic.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Breaking news..."The death toll from the virus in Italy has risen by 627 to 4,032, officials say.

It is the largest daily rise in the country since the beginning of the outbreak."

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter

it is common in the US and Canada. TPing trees at Halloween or other special occasions.

Pimpernel Smith

Breaking news..."The death toll from the virus in Italy has risen by 627 to 4,032, officials say.

It is the largest daily rise in the country since the beginning of the outbreak."
Our staff there were remaining very stoic, but as of today they're 100% now working from home for the duration. I actually got a few thank you emails, which surprised me, it was obviously getting stressful coming to work through the roadblocks and being in a big office building.

My mob when I told them I was closing the office today at noon, feigned loads of work and disgust, so I let them stay all day. They were pretty pissed-off when they realized that everyone else in the real world were shutting up shop early. Pride before the fall. You must be really bitter and twisted to resist a paid Friday afternoon off at your own leisure.

ballmouse

My mob when I told them I was closing the office today at noon, feigned loads of work and disgust, so I let them stay all day. They were pretty pissed-off when they realized that everyone else in the real world were shutting up shop early. Pride before the fall. You must be really bitter and twisted to resist a paid Friday afternoon off at your own leisure.
With what I've heard about European work hours, I thought they would've broke out the wine and started the celebration before you finished the announcement.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I took a drive through downtown on my way home tonight. It was eerie. A little like I imagined if an EMP went off. No people anywhere. Only first responders and essential workers on the streets. A little further into the inner city neighborhoods and the footpaths were full of people going for walks and jogging (though all keeping distance from others). The only other activity was people picking-up take-away food and booze (new state law this week also allows delivery of a drink with your meal or to-go with take-away).

Pimpernel Smith

My brother did a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. He works for a pharmaceutical company and had been pre-warned about what was coming.

With what I've heard about European work hours, I thought they would've broke out the wine and started the celebration before you finished the announcement.
Well you have to very careful on the continent. As an example, in the Netherlands you cannot risk asking individuals to work overtime as there is risk they might go off with stress or burnt out. And you are 100% responsible for that. To get my staff working from home in these times, I've had to be very careful with the language used and stressing to only work your contractual hours and turn the phone off and don't look at emails after this time, or at weekends. Obviously this was communicated in a very formal and scripted way to protect myself and company down the line. Should someone decide to go loco saying they couldn't switch off and had zero support and ended up working 18 hour days.

It use to be a badge of honour to go off with stress here. And the bureaucracy and process when someone is on sick leave is unbelievable. You're also fully responsible for 70% of salaries for a full 12 years (2 years + 10 years) if there is any possibility that someone may get better. Hence no company wants to take on staff anymore as the system is full activists and petty ''work doctors'' which are actually unqualified coordinators who facilitate the process. I would prefer to deal with witch doctors.

There's some myths too, a lot of French work long hours. I was at a manufacturer a couple of weeks ago and several of the shop floor personnel were working 12hr shifts. But the French have to be very careful as regards how they get permission to work overtime. And they still get increased salaries for this. In the Netherlands, to discourage overtime they tax it at the highest tax rate for all employees.

I took a drive through downtown on my way home tonight. It was eerie. A little like I imagined if an EMP went off. No people anywhere. Only first responders and essential workers on the streets. A little further into the inner city neighborhoods and the footpaths were full of people going for walks and jogging (though all keeping distance from others). The only other activity was people picking-up take-away food and booze (new state law this week also allows delivery of a drink with your meal or to-go with take-away).

If you haven't increased your booze intake in these times, you're probably still running through fields of azure and lavender flowers being in a state of denial and bewildered enchantment.

My mum admitting to drinking quite a lot of a bottle of whisky the other night as she contemplated the alternative reality we entered. Last night she told me of my brother's wife's parents who when my brother's wife Skyped or Facetimed them were quite clearly pissed. And it's not just the baby boomers, it's 4am and I've poured myself a rum and coke.

Fwiffo

Supporter
There's some myths too, a lot of French work long hours.

If you haven't increased your booze intake in these times, you're probably still running through fields of azure and lavender flowers being in a state of denial and bewildered enchantment.

My mum admitting to drinking quite a lot of a bottle of whisky the other night as she contemplated the alternative reality we entered. Last night she told me of my brother's wife's parents who when my brother's wife Skyped or Facetimed them were quite clearly pissed. And it's not just the baby boomers, it's 4am and I've poured myself a rum and coke.
I haven't touched booze in over a week. I thought you posted at odd hours because you were checking in on your Asia Pacific offices.

I've worked for German - well Bavarian - companies for the past 10 years. There are people who will work no matter what and there are people who hide behind things like worker's council.

Pimpernel Smith

I haven't touched booze in over a week. I thought you posted at odd hours because you were checking in on your Asia Pacific offices.

I've worked for German - well Bavarian - companies for the past 10 years. There are people who will work no matter what and there are people who hide behind things like worker's council.
In normal times I'm not drinking at 4am. Most times I wake up I check the emails from the Eastern division and get ready for work. But I might be approaching Dean Martin's legacy if this continues though! I did stock up for the lock down: Glenfiddich 15 and 18 year old. Plus, that most magnificent after dinner sipping rum for an affordable price: El Dorado 21 year old. I was considering a bottle of the 14 year old Balvenie rum finish, but decided my palate is too out of use for that kind of rich whisky. Could do with a bottle of Appleton 21 year old and Mount Gay XO. I might try and procure them later today.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

Superlative response from the British government:

Can you imagine the response if Corbyn's Labour had been in charge?!

Top Bottom