Coronavirus

No, not a real change - a move to presumptive diagnosis.

You keep on trying to comfort us, but others are saying this is just the opening salvo of a man made zombie apocalypse:

How long before we hear the death rattle of ''Bring out your dead!'' every morning?

For one thing Dropbear isn't the ethnicity that this virus is predominantly targeting.

For one thing Dropbear isn't the ethnicity that this virus is predominantly targeting.
I don't think the corona virus is racist...
However, I've read that in a small country like Austria around 1000 people die every year from the flu.
And thousands more die in hospitals due to a lack of hygiene and/or being exposed to super bugs after even minor treatment.

I don't think the corona virus is racist...
However, I've read that in a small country like Austria around 1000 people die every year from the flu.
And thousands more die in hospitals due to a lack of hygiene and/or being exposed to super bugs after even minor treatment.

I never implied racism. He is an Aussie in a predominantly white and Latino place. Those aren’t the demographics suffering or dying from coronavirus. By that logic he is quite safe.

I never implied racism. He is an Aussie in a predominantly white and Latino place. Those aren’t the demographics suffering or dying from coronavirus. By that logic he is quite safe.
We might get to see if the virus prefers Asian people over white European and Latinos, perhaps even Africans and Arabs.
According to the BBC, the London underground is a hot bed for the virus. As it is for any other airborne or drop infection.
Going by the segments on the Jeremy Vine show, the only thing worse than the corona virus is trans-phobia™.

“South Korea says the number of new coronavirus cases in the country has more than doubled in one day.

Officials said on Saturday that 229 new cases had been confirmed since Friday, raising the total to 433.”

“Iran's outbreak of coronavirus has significantly worsened, with five deaths since Wednesday. The government has acknowledged 29 confirmed cases although officials have warned the virus may have spread to "all cities".

Schools, universities and cultural centres across 14 Iranian provinces have been closed from Sunday.”

“Italy has seen two deaths and the number of confirmed cases has risen to more than 100 - 89 of them in Lombardy.”

Cancelled my plans to go to Milan/Northern Italy next week. There isn't any real danger but I've had the flu recently and don't really fancy risking it.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen an outbreak in one of the big ski resorts yet, the conditions would ceartinly be good for it. With the European holiday season quickly approaching the countries in the south will praying that they'll get this under control somehow otherwise it will spread everywhere once it hits the major holiday destinations and metropolitan areas. London/Paris/etc. are perfect for that.

I’m going to Munich via Heathrow next weekend. Let’s see.

Meanwhile in Russia....

“Bus drivers in Moscow kept their WhatsApp group chat buzzing with questions this week about what to do if they spotted passengers who might be from China riding with them in the Russian capital.

’Some Asian-looking (people) have just got on. Probably Chinese. Should I call (the police)?’ one driver messaged his peers. ‘How do I figure out if they're Chinese? Should I ask them?’ a colleague wondered.

Moscow officials ordered police raids of hotels, dormitories, apartment buildings and businesses to track down the shrinking number of Chinese people remaining in the city. They also authorized the use of facial recognition technology to find those suspected of evading a 14-day self-quarantine period upon their arrival in Russia.

’Conducting raids is an unpleasant task, but it is necessary, for the potential carriers of the virus as well,‘ Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said in a statement outlining various methods to find and track Chinese people the city approved as a virus prevention strategy.”

Hunting down people by race and creed is an unpleasant task but it has to be done.

"On Monday Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Bahrain reported their first cases, all involving people who had come from Iran.

The situation in Iran is especially worrying, because the health authorities have reportedly said the virus has spread to multiple cities, and it appears the first case in Lebanon is linked to a traveller from Iran.

Iran said on Sunday it had 43 confirmed cases of the virus, most of them in the holy city of Qom. Twelve of those infected have died, the highest number of deaths outside China.

On Monday on MP in Qom accused the government of covering up the extent of the outbreak, saying there were 50 deaths in the city alone. However, the country's deputy health minister quickly denied the claim."

Hopefully people realise it is Nowruz in another 3 weeks. Another new year where people travel and gather with families in a smaller version of the Chinese exodus.

Had my Cobra style meeting today by Skype with Italy. Starting to spread cases in and around Rome, also now Florence.

Worrying that they are now re-quarantining those supposedly free of it. Could it be like malaria, never goes away and keeps returning?

There's a sinister mood in the air like Poe's Masque of The Red Death. Better stock-up on booze for when we're all stuck in our homes for several weeks.

Looking like it's getting a grip in Europe now, excluding the Netherlands, that'll change soon enough.

Not quite crisis management time, but I expect some bad times ahead. The EU argue over budget whilst Rome burns. You couldn't make this stuff up!

"Austria, Croatia and Switzerland said the cases involved people who had been to Italy, as did Algeria in Africa.

Brazil is investigating a possible case also linked to Italy. If confirmed, it would be South America's first.

Italy has in recent days become Europe's worst-affected country, with more than 300 cases and 11 deaths.

But its neighbours have decided closing borders would be 'disproportionate'"

Are there even borders to close between EU nations?

Iran is the biggest worry right now.

Yes - so BBC says Mashhad. Qom. I know people who know people even more south of Qom and it's there. Strangely Tehran has zero cases. But then again who believes the Iranian authorities after the missile fiasco?

Last edited:
The numbers in China who are effected could number in the hundreds of thousands. One thing you can be sure of, the chinese commmunist party are never going to tell the truth and will always play the situation down.

I haven't heard all of this interview yet, but it is shaping up to be a really good video. Recommended.

The best source on the virus is probably the Epoch Times because they have a great network of chinese on the ground in China who secretly report stuff and are able to break through the firewall undetected.

The newspaper

Last edited:
Are there even borders to close between EU nations?

Yes. Put into effect every now and then.
In Denmark we have had border checks against Germany, since the refugee situation. Between Sweden and Denmark sporadicly. Britain checks all the time.

Iran is the biggest worry right now.

16% mortality rate that's bring out your dead territory, but they say it may be a reporting issue on actual cases being unreported or not diagnosed.

Someone in intensive care in Germany was in Limburg in the Netherlands. With the amount of expats in the Ranstad areas here, I expect the first cases to be reported soon.

Our business in Italy continues for now in all but a few locations in the north. A couple of manufacturers won't allow access to facilities, others with some self-certifying questionnaire. Meanwhile the EU body the missus works for has a moratorium on all business travel - that was implemented Tuesday.

I'm of the opinion that this will impact operations in Europe during the next 4-6 weeks at least. Our Chinese chums are still not back at work.

Travel ban for work and personal to mainland China, Singapore, South Korea and "prohibited" zones in Italy. Approval from the head in each country for Laos to Japan (basically all of APAC) and northern Italy for work travel.

No mention of Iran but we don't have anything there. Although we do have an office in Lebanon and some of the surrounding Arab nations.

16% mortality rate that's bring out your dead territory, but they say it may be a reporting issue on actual cases being unreported or not diagnosed.

Exactly. Hundreds or thousands of infectious cases out in the wild with no effective monitoring or containment.

South Korea is being hit pretty badly, but they at least are managing the epi work to get a handle on it.

We're getting some wild requests from certain offices and clients about what crisis and emergency plans are in place. One was about France and as there's no emergency declared there, I had to tell them that we don't have a crisis management situation so there's no plan other than follow the latest advice from the authorities. Then they got a bit panicky about Italy, again we have measured and calm responses and our daily Cobra meeting.

I do believe the situation in Europe is going to worsen significantly, and it will impact operations, but I will mirror our Chinese Emergency Response Plan which is excellent. No one has got ill, but several of them have spent several weeks working from home. All the office staff.

As a precaution I am upgrading my home study with a copy of my desk environment at work, in case I need to work from home for a period. Don't want to be using a small screen laptop when I can have a widescreen state of the art set-up. The kids will love it when they see it!

I'm coming to Munich via London this weekend. One of the people I will meet lives in northern Italy.

Was good knowing you.

Boss just rang me. The company is afraid the President will ban all Italians after our trip and he can't get back in with his Italian passport.

I'm waiting for him to decide whether we are still going next week.

Boss just rang me. The company is afraid the President will ban all Italians after our trip and he can't get back in with his Italian passport.

I'm waiting for him to decide whether we are still going next week.
Might have dodged one.

"Iran's deputy health minister and an MP have both tested positive for the new coronavirus, as it struggles to contain an outbreak that has killed 15.

The country is one of three hot-spots outside China causing concern that the virus could be becoming a pandemic.

The deputy minister, Iraj Harirchi, on Monday denied covering up the scale of the outbreak. He appeared in physical discomfort as he spoke to reporters."

5AEF96B7-808C-4ADF-ADA6-FB57ED444217.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom