Coronavirus

Food feels like such a luxury now. Haven't seen much food on the shelves for over a week.

That must be awful. But there must be supply infrastructure problems?

I was at the food wholesalers this morning at 7am (I did only have a small rum and coke at 4am) many more people than last week, more with gloves and masks on. Couldn't get any hand soap. I'm off to see if I can get anywhere else now.

That must be awful. But there must be supply infrastructure problems?
There are supply problems. There has been such demand from the suppliers that they have been overwhelmed and are two weeks behind supplying various things. Everything has been thrown into chaos. The shops are basically empty everyday. It is not a nice feeling. Everyone is shocked, and it is like we are living in some poor country or during war time where nothing is available to buy. Now our PM is talking about issuing rations because people can't wipe their backsides or get a feed.

I've always considered it best practice to culvate expensive tastes when it comes to booze...

It generally is, as you will sip a double shot of something like an Appleton 21 year old over a whole evening. Which I did manage to source today. But sometimes you just want a mixer and in that case Lambs Navy rum will do. You don't want the good stuff for mixing.

There are supply problems. There has been such demand from the suppliers that they have been overwhelmed and are two weeks behind supplying various things. Everything has been thrown into chaos. The shops are basically empty everyday. It is not a nice feeling. Everyone is shocked, and it is like we are living in some poor country or during war time where nothing is available to buy. Now our PM is talking about issuing rations because people can't wipe their backsides or get a feed.

Not been that bad here yet, but the only place I could get liquid hand soap was in the expat shop and they only had 6 bottles left. The mood here is changing, as people get to grips that the economy is going to go into recession at best and its going to get tough over the next few months.

It generally is, as you will sip a double shot of something like an Appleton 21 year old over a whole evening. Which I did manage to source today. But sometimes you just want a mixer and in that case Lambs Navy rum will do. You don't want the good stuff for mixing.

Well, the reasoning being that it be the last stuff to be bought. All the cheap stuff goes first...

Chinese insiders tell some of us that fires are all over Wuhan. We haven't been told why, but we have been told the infected and deaths in China are far more than officially reported by the mainstream media.

It is no longer called the coronavirus. All the cool people are calling it the "CCP virus" or the `chinese communist party virus'. Lets call it that because the CCP can't get away with all the deaths they have caused by keeping silent about it for so long. Now it has spread all over the world, so lets remind everyone who is responsible for it.

Last edited:

Not been that bad here yet, but the only place I could get liquid hand soap was in the expat shop and they only had 6 bottles left. The mood here is changing, as people get to grips that the economy is going to go into recession at best and its going to get tough over the next few months.

Here is a respected science journal telling us that the CCP virus does come from China.

COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic has a natural origin

So if anyone tries playing to the cheap seats and uses the overplayed `racist card', now we can educate them on the facts with credibility. China is very good at name calling and labeling groups of people because it is a traditional communist tactic used in China for 70 years to build up opposition to anyone seen as a threat to the CCP. The west learned all the modern thinking from the CCP and Soviet Union because they are masters at it.

You can't teach an old bear new tricks. He only knows the old tricks.
Winnie-xi-jinping.jpg
[/url]

haters.gif
[/url]

Last edited:
Dutch PM Mark Rutte cracks a joke:

I've had a couple of times now, when I'm in the car, getting a feeling of despair that I am coming down with it. It's quite disconcerting. And then it goes as quickly as it came. I've traveled a lot this last month, including to France several times.

The Hague was unbelievable quiet today, I was the only car in one of the car parks. Only locals out and me looking to procure my Appleton 21 and Mount Gay XO. Only partially successful. It's psychologically essential. Oh boy, have me and the Accountant a long way to travel from here to Wednesday next week. At least I've cleared the office out so won't have to deal with their lack of interaction and genuine civil servant attitude transferred to the private sector.

Loads of cancellations now coming in, including in India which has so far been immune. I expect it will dry up completely next week, except for the remote work, which everyone hopes will see us through the next months. France is spooked, Spain's had a two day public holiday breather and despite the declared public emergency in Portugal, our man in Lisbon has been making some serious bucks these last several months. Like the old days, 20-30 grand a month.

I am reminded of the case at the battle of Midway when one of the US Naval gunners whilst under attack suddenly declared ''My it's hot today!'' and jumped off into the Pacific never to be seen again.

"Deaths continue to spiral in Italy. Official figures show 793 have died of Covid-19 in the last 24 hours - another daily record.

In total 4,825 people have now died across the country.

More than 53,500 have been diagnosed with the virus nationally, up more than 6,500 since yesterday."

Anyone still think this is a common flu for the Italians?

Dutch PM Mark Rutte cracks a joke:

Just take lots of copies of the free Metro newspaper or its equivalent and cut them to size. Or go Muslim and use your left hand.

‘Arse wiping good, finger lickin bad’ Colonel Saunders

I've always considered it best practice to (cultivate) expensive tastes when it comes to booze...
Unfortunately cask beer drinkers really need pubs for their tipple. Simple pleasures are my preference. Though teetotal might be the way to go now.

Anyone still think this is a common flu for the Italians?

There's at least two members of the forum who even a couple of days ago were spouting that claptrap.

Unfortunately cask beer drinkers really need pubs for their tipple. Simple pleasures are my preference. Though teetotal might be the way to go now.

Everyone at my level of responsibility is starting to admit to drinking at well, my levels.

Fear of Medieval plague!

Actually not quite: the 1867 cholera outbreak in Italy cost over 100,000 lives. We may yet get there with this in Italy and elsewhere. I pray not!

We're going to a very bad place, and we even off-shored our pharmaceutical industries to China. How lacking in strategic asset resources do you have to be to do that?

It's been unseasonably cold here these last days, will be tonight, could even be frost. You won't hear any of that in the news though. They won't be saying this was the coldest night on record, or any of that. Funny how all of that St Greta shit, Woke, SJW and Cancel Culture has vanished overnight. As if it was being used as a vehicle to gain power. To paraphrase the words of Johnny Rotten: Ever feel like you've been used?

A whole generation's been truly had and thrown in the gutter overnight. No shame whatsoever. No longer needed you see.

Dropbear Dropbear how you holding up buddy? how's the system holding up down there in TX?

exhausted.

we are run ragged, but holding the line. lots of contact tracing and quarantining.

For now, the healthcare system isn't straining and we are trying to increase capacity. But if these National npi we are doing now don’t blunt the growth, we will all be fucked nextmonth.

exhausted.

we are run ragged, but holding the line. lots of contact tracing and quarantining.

For now, the healthcare system isn't straining and we are trying to increase capacity. But if these National npi we are doing now don’t blunt the growth, we will all be fucked nextmonth.

Great that you're holding the line. Maybe better for America that Italy and Europe.

We're all fucked here as there is no organisation or system in place for this type of pandemic.

Some people see it, many don't, but the message is slowly seeping through.

I imagine at the front line and pointy end it's pretty exhausting, it ain't much better here if you've got some responsibility and can see the fan rapidly approaching.

Stay safe and stay alive!

We're going to a very bad place, and we even off-shored our pharmaceutical industries to China. How lacking in strategic asset resources do you have to be to do that?

They have recovered and are desperate for our money. All we need to sort out is the logistics to deliver. What’s the issue? We own the intellectual property and patents.

I went to the supermarket and obtained some food and toilet rolls. The feeling is amazing and one of my biggest highs. The feeling of going without and then having these things is a special feeling. Every single person walked out with a packet of toilet rolls and everyone looked so happy that they scored a packet.

I hear we are going to have to live this way for another year at least. Ah man, this is just like a dream, l can't believe this is happening.

An interesting, and thought-provoking, article from the Australian national broadcaster, the ABC:

Essentially, it proposes three options:
- A, which is what Australia is doing now. This involves moderate measures, including people to work from home where possible, engage in social distancing, but keep schools open and not force any shutdowns. It is estimated that this situation will last 12-18 months.
- B, trace and track every single diagnosed infection and make those people self-isolate. Of course, A and B can be undertaken at the same time, if a country or area has the resources. The author considers that most of Australia is now beyond this, as we have too many infections.
- C, shut everything down for a period of time. This is, of course, essentially what China did in Wuhan and what appears to be happening in northern Italy. Shut everything non-essential - businesses, schools, factories and so on - for a period of perhaps 8 weeks. Keep some supermarkets open and, of course, keep hospitals open but, apart from that, shut everything down. This will starve the virus of opportunities to spread and should dramatically lower numbers.

Frankly, I think that C is the best option.

At present, the Australian government is taking the softer "A" approach. It wants to keep schools open to minimise disruption and, of course, closing schools means that parents have to stay home, particularly with younger children. However, this means that although the disruption might be a bit less, there is still considerable disruption. Anecdotally, about 20 - 25% of children are being kept home from school anyway, the vast majority of restaurants and cafes are empty, and shopping centres are mainly used to buy essential items, so supermarkets, greengrocers and butchers are fine but all of the other shops are virtually empty. Airlines have slashed flights and grounded fleets. Hotels are virtually empty. If this continues for the next 12 - 18 months, it will have massive ramifications. So, given that most of the effect is already being felt, why not take a step further and just shut things down for a month or two?

.....why not take a step further and just shut things down for a month or two?

It's coming to mainland Europe for certain. Could be across all nations by end of next week.

It's unbelievable the amount of businesses going down fast here in the Netherlands. Our accountant is visually shaken. And I'm not best placed to perk him up at present!

Not quite like North Korea...

All industrial production and non-essential businesses in Italy will close for 15 days. Prime Minister, Giuseppe Conte, has also issued a shelter in place order for the whole nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom