Coronavirus

"Standing outside the Alvorada Palace, the Brazilian president's official residence, Bolsonaro removed his mask after supporters asked that he take it off so they could snap pictures and selfies with him."

....But he has recovered.

“When the numbers first leaked out this morning, I heard a reporter on air say he hoped his source was wrong. Over 700 cases - it is a crushing blow for Melbourne's five million people. Halfway through the second lockdown, everyone was hoping their hard work would start to pay off and that the tide would turn.

But it does not look like things will get better any time soon - which means a longer lockdown could be likely.

Lockdown life is harder for Melbournians this time around because they are going through it alone. The rest of the country has almost all its freedoms back; so they can see on social media their friends elsewhere going out and living it up.”

"State officials said Freire Interian and his wife, Yohana Gonzalez, 26, learned they were infected with the virus on July 15, after being tested five days earlier.

They were advised to wear face masks at home, a three bedroom house the couple shares with at least three other tenants. And they were required to self-isolate for at least 14 days."

They live in a frat house?

"'I knew I was going to catch it someday, as I think unfortunately nearly everyone here is going to catch it eventually. What are you afraid of? Face up to it,' he said.

'I regret the deaths. But people die every day, from lots of things. That's life.'"

That attack rate though:

I wasn't buying kids are not incubators before I read that anyway. They may well be asymptomatic, but they sure spread those 24/48hr bugs and flu around.

Second wave coming in fast here now, non-essential travel to Antwerp being discouraged and we're seeing remote video surveillance coming back in throughout Europe. Which turns out to be grossly inefficient compared to being mobilized in the field. But I'm not complaining, my Italian business bounced back and are enjoying some of the best figures ever. Whether this proves the feast before the famine we'll see.

The lockdowns show that whilst you can flatten the curve, stop ICU's being overwhelmed, no one has effectively eliminated the virus. Except maybe, New Zealand.

I wasn't buying kids are not incubators before I read that anyway. They may well be asymptomatic, but they sure spread those 24/48hr bugs and flu around.

Second wave coming in fast here now, non-essential travel to Antwerp being discouraged and we're seeing remote video surveillance coming back in throughout Europe. Which turns out to be grossly inefficient compared to being mobilized in the field. But I'm not complaining, my Italian business bounced back and are enjoying some of the best figures ever. Whether this proves the feast before the famine we'll see.

The lockdowns show that whilst you can flatten the curve, stop ICU's being overwhelmed, no one has effectively eliminated the virus. Except maybe, New Zealand.

Italy is doing quite well. Only 300 odd cases. Maybe everyone there has immunity already. Also I never understood how Portugal got by with so few cases.

All the tactics and measures we copy from authoritarian regimes (China being number one) will never be truly effective in a western Democratic country.

“'If you are in Florida and you hear your governor saying something, and then the governor in New York is saying the opposite, it’s really difficult,' he said. 'In Italy, it was just one voice.'”

"The night-time curfew is being implemented across Melbourne from 20:00 to 05:00.

The only valid reasons for leaving home during these hours will be work, medical care or care-giving.

Melbourne residents will only be allowed to shop and exercise within 5km (three miles) of their home. Exercise outside of the home will only be allowed for one hour at a time.

Only one person per household is allowed to shop for essentials at a time."

Quarantine getting worse for fxh.

"The night-time curfew is being implemented across Melbourne from 20:00 to 05:00.

The only valid reasons for leaving home during these hours will be work, medical care or care-giving.

Melbourne residents will only be allowed to shop and exercise within 5km (three miles) of their home. Exercise outside of the home will only be allowed for one hour at a time.

Only one person per household is allowed to shop for essentials at a time."

Quarantine getting worse for fxh.

The curfew seems rather excessive.

Border with Belgium looks like it will close again - cases going up again in South Holland and elsewhere.

They live in a frat house?

Don’t people have lodgers in Florida?

Just the five of them in a three bedroom house? Luxury.

You should check the UK. Twenty five in a house plus half a dozen more in the converted outbuilding.

^
I did a quick search but couldn’t see what the penalties for breaking those rules in Melbourne are.

I did a quick search but couldn’t see what the penalties for breaking those rules in Melbourne are.

You're tied to a chair and forced to listen to Dan Andrews (the Vic Premier) giving speeches.

Seriously, though, I've read that people in Victoria have been fined $1652 each for breaching the coronavirus restrictions, although I think that some fines are smaller and some are larger, depending on the breach.

You're tied to a chair and forced to listen to Dan Andrews (the Vic Premier) giving speeches.

Seriously, though, I've read that people in Victoria have been fined $1652 each for breaching the coronavirus restrictions, although I think that some fines are smaller and some are larger, depending on the breach.

I don't know what it is like on the ground mate but it sounds severe. They haven't got to the point where you need a signed card to leave X km distance from your home yet.

Yeah - some could be more for multiple breaches - the truth is unless you're a complete fucking idiot and bullshit the police or give them grief - the worst that will happen is the police take your name and wave a finger at you - if it happens again - you get the book thrown at you.

The back story is that on most fines people are on their third warning for the DAY!
or are complete dicks - like bloke the other day big fines - on freeway hes doing 120kph in 80kph zone, unregistered vehicle and .215 % alcohol - that's more than 4 times the .05% limit

I don't know what it is like on the ground mate but it sounds severe. They haven't got to the point where you need a signed card to leave X km distance from your home yet.
1 in 4 people tested POSITIVE were not at home - where they are supposed to be quarantined - on doorknock check

1 in 4 people tested POSITIVE were not at home - where they are supposed to be quarantined - on doorknock check

It's because their freedom to wander around infecting people must not be infringed (or so say some people, who usually also protest about wearing masks and think that COVID-19 is a plot by Bill Gates and George Soros).

We can’t even fly safely but someone thought running a week long cruise was okay?

That was somewhat overly optimistic. The mega-cruise industry isn't come back anytime soon. They've parked a couple of them off-shore here, you can see from the beach in Wassenar and Schevingen.

Latest from WHO: death rate 0.5% (six times mortality rate of seasonal flu) and no guarantee of a ''silver bullet'' any time soon. In which case we will have to live with it and find a way to keep economies going whilst curbing such things as cruise ship holidays.

"Mr Patton said Victoria Police had seen an 'emergence' of 'concerning groups of people who classify themselves as 'sovereign citizens'.

The sovereign citizen movement - which has roots in the US - is typically used by those who don't believe in their government's legitimacy, often arguing their rights are being suppressed by public orders.

Under the current 'stage four' lockdown, Melburnians can leave home only to shop, exercise, give essential medical care or do frontline work.

Residents must shop and exercise within 5km (3 miles) of their home, for no longer than one hour at a time.

An additional curfew for between 20:00 and 05:00 was implemented on Sunday. The only exemptions are for work, medical care or care-giving, and workers must have a permit.

Authorities said recent breaches included 'Airbnb parties' and people breaking the curfew to get alcohol and fast food.

Mr Patton said the policewoman had been attacked in a shopping centre after stopping a woman for not wearing a mask.

'After a confrontation and being assaulted by that woman, those police officers went to ground and there was a scuffle,' he said.

'And during that scuffle, this 38-year-old woman smashed the head of the policewoman several times into a concrete area on the ground.'"

I wonder if I have any sovereigntists in my country...besides the Quebecois moaning for independence.

Last edited:
Latest from WHO: death rate 0.5% (six times mortality rate of seasonal flu) and no guarantee of a ''silver bullet'' any time soon. In which case we will have to live with it and find a way to keep economies going whilst curbing such things as cruise ship holidays.

Those sentences have tones of compromise, despair and grudging acceptance.

I wonder if I have any sovereigntists in my country...besides the Quebecois moaning for independence.

You certainly do - there are a couple of people who have previously been very active in the "freeman-on-the-land" or sovereign citizen movement who are from Canada, including a chap who calls himself Robert-Arthur:Menard (because if you use a colon or other odd punctuation in your name then you're showing that it's your real name, as opposed to your "strawman" name used by the government).

There's also an excellent Canadian court decision that neatly summarises a lot of the arguments used by these people, and which also summarises a lot of other court decisions - Meads v Meads [2012] ABQB 571: https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

Here's a good article on arguments commonly used by Canadian freemen-on-the-land: https://www.albertalawreview.com/index.php/ALR/article/view/2485/2470

1596554608319.png

A Muslim one? That's being wrapped in white cloth and tossed in a dirt grave. That's cheap.

I want a 24k gold trimmed casket in wood heavy enough that 12 men need to haul it accompanied by a diamond encrusted treasure chest full of my afterlife belongings stored underneath a shrine akin to an Egyptian pyramid not built by a 3D printer but brick by brick by human hands.

This is interesting:

Interesting. Some indicators coming out of NZ suggest the economy isn’t going as badly as expected. And they had a severe lockdown straight away.

plus everyone seems to ignore that retail in particular has been on a shit slide to nowhere for a few years. But all businesses will blame C19.

All I got from this long winded article is that the best way for the coronavirus to go away is if humans don't breathe, don't speak and don't sing. Of course then you die but that might be appropriate for certain people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom