Coronavirus

Ooof. I wonder how this news will affect behavior?

That’s good for the President and myself since we are on 5ar suppressants.

East Timor hasn’t had a new case since mid-April. Another small island with a hard border. Go figure.

I do get a little tired of Kiwi self congratulation.

I watched a Colbert interview with Jacinda. She seemed pretty humble.

I might get that new bike after all ...

75251A1D-5BD6-45A3-BC96-D43E6DC070F5.jpeg

East Timor hasn’t had a new case since mid-April. Another small island with a hard border. Go figure.

Well, not quite - half of the island belongs to Indonesia. I don't know what border control is like nowadays, though.

Ooof. I wonder how this news will affect behavior?

That would be bad news for our Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith

^Yes, Taiwan seemed to get on top of things quickly. They also did a great job with tracking and tracing.

Well, not quite - half of the island belongs to Indonesia. I don't know what border control is like nowadays, though.

Hard border with no crossing now. The army is making a show of patrolling. For the first few months family members could return home across the land border and go straight to quarantine.

The WHO pushed for very strict non pharmaceutical interventions (boarder, internal lock down, etc) early on - knowing that the lack of medical infrastructure and poor health of the elderly means that once community spread happens, they are screwed. They sent 1,000 test kits a few months ago, but I’m pretty sure they had to send them to Darwin to run- even the University doesn’t have a lab up to snuff.

Last edited:
Hard border with no crossing now. The army is making a show of patrolling. For the first few months family members could return home across the land border and go straight to quarantine.

The WHO pushed for very strict non pharmaceutical interventions (boarder, internal lock down, etc) early on - knowing that the lack of medical infrastructure and poor health of the elderly means that once community spread happens, they are screwed. They sent 1,000 test kits a few months ago, but I’m pretty sure they had to send them to Darwin to run- even the University doesn’t have a lab up to snuff.

Isn't the WHO updated figures that the mortality rate is 0.5%? Sounds like good odds until you run them after a tour of duty in WWII bomber command. Worse odds at 3% per mission, but over a tour of duty that gets into zones you don't want to know. I figure that 0.5% is the same without herd immunity over a couple of decades or so is pretty dreadful if you're older, overweight or not otherwise in excellent health and willing to run the gauntlet. Noting that not all of that will necessarily be enough.

The cafe in my building is closing until beginning of September out of the blue. Announced today. Not clear where that came from. Somebody in the building got it?

Other organisations have gone fully back this last week, traditionally the quietest time of the year with everyone being on their summer vacations, but already they're talking about a week on week off in the office, or returning to work from home after November.

Friends, ex-and-colleagues in the Persian Gulf and Kazakhstan state the situation is much worse there than here. Some of them have already tested positive and again, everyone in the family not just one or two.

Still there's a lot more about this virus to come out. The added precautions are there for a real reason that might well be quite unpalatable at this time. This ain't no flu bro'!

Unfortunately, after 100 days without any diagnosed cases, New Zealand just had four cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus diagnosed in the one family - but it's not known how they got it. It appears, therefore, that it was lurking in the community, undiagnosed.

In other news, here's a scathing article on the fiasco that Donald Trump and his administration have made of the US's handling of the pandemic:

On July 17, President Donald Trump sat for a Fox News interview at the White House. At the time, nearly 140,000 Americans were dead from the novel coronavirus. The interviewer, Chris Wallace, showed Trump a video clip in which Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, warned of a difficult fall and winter ahead. Trump dismissed the warning. He scoffed that experts had misjudged the virus all along. “Everybody thought this summer it would go away,” said Trump. “They used to say the heat, the heat was good for it and it really knocks it out, remember? So they got that one wrong.”

Trump’s account was completely backward. Redfield and other U.S. public health officials had never promised that heat would knock out the virus. In fact, they had cautioned against that assumption. The person who had held out the false promise of a warm-weather reprieve, again and again, was Trump. And he hadn’t gotten the idea from any of his medical advisers. He had gotten it from Xi Jinping, the president of China, in a phone call in February.

The phone call, the talking points Trump picked up from it, and his subsequent attempts to cover up his alliance with Xi are part of a deep betrayal. The story the president now tells—that he “built the greatest economy in history,” that China blindsided him by unleashing the virus, and that Trump saved millions of lives by mobilizing America to defeat it—is a lie. Trump collaborated with Xi, concealed the threat, impeded the U.S. government’s response, silenced those who sought to warn the public, and pushed states to take risks that escalated the tragedy. He’s personally responsible for tens of thousands of deaths.

Unfortunately, after 100 days without any diagnosed cases, New Zealand just had four cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus diagnosed in the one family - but it's not known how they got it. It appears, therefore, that it was lurking in the community, undiagnosed.

Obviously they haven't learnt from the Americans. Stop the testing. If you test more, you'll find more. Or be like Brasil and stop posting results. Or Iran and post fake results.

"Texas may be flying blind as it prepares to reopen schools because there has been a huge drop in COVID-19 testing even as the number of confirmed cases has climbed over 500,000 and the death toll from the virus is closing in on 10,000.

Even more worrisome, the positivity rate of the tests that have been administered in Texas of late is rising, which suggests there may be many more cases out there that have not been detected.

'Yes, any school district that does not test its own students is flying blind,' said Vivian Ho, a health economist at Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine. 'But public schools don’t have the resources to do that kind of testing under the current circumstances.'

How would Ho solve the testing problem? 'You could maybe throw a billion dollars at this problem, but that would be too good of an idea,' she said."

Time for Dropbear to start asking for a few millions of that billion.

Most schools are starting the school year virtual and then giving parents the choice to go virtual or in-person starting in November. I’m building up dozens of school outbreak teams to deal with the inevitable clusterfucks later in the year.

Most schools are starting the school year virtual and then giving parents the choice to go virtual or in-person starting in November. I’m building up dozens of school outbreak teams to deal with the inevitable clusterfucks later in the year.
Is this building up spare capacity state or federal funded?

Is this building up spare capacity state or federal funded?

We are tapping into the state’s (generous) Rainy Day Fund. While I’ve disagreed with a lot of the political decisions made on this response, I can’t fault them for the financial support they’ve provided to help us mitigate the impacts. I don’t think anyone has said no to any of my spending requests yet.

As an aside, I am hiring contract epidemiologists from across the country - states are all in a bidding war and we are winning. An epi who made $50kpa this time last year will now earn four times that (plus overtime) working contract.

you forgot the collective stupidity of the home of the brave and the land of the free

It's going to be one grim winter everywhere if the lock downs return. No stomach for further lock downs here in the Netherlands.

The USA will have the contested election result to add to if its a narrow victory.

It's going to be one grim winter everywhere if the lock downs return. No stomach for further lock downs here in the Netherlands.

The USA will have the contested election result to add to if its a narrow victory.

See, I don't get the "grim winter because COVID". People have tolerated a lot more than lockdowns and have not whined as much as during COVID.

See, I don't get the "grim winter because COVID". People have tolerated a lot more than lockdowns and have not whined as much as during COVID.

In historical terms not really ''grim'', but relatively it's going to be unpleasant. None of the christmas cheer of winter fairs and family get togethers. Then there's the buying in bulk and empty shelves. The experience of those small city grocery supermarkets which run on just in time restocking which had massive queues to get into here.

In historical terms not really ''grim'', but relatively it's going to be unpleasant. None of the christmas cheer of winter fairs and family get togethers. Then there's the buying in bulk and empty shelves. The experience of those small city grocery supermarkets which run on just in time restocking which had massive queues to get into here.

Unpleasant? Nothing was unpleasant during the first go round. I quite enjoyed not having to interact with idiots except for the ones I was mandated to deal with. I don't need to go to my local and kvetch. Bulk buying is an indication of stupidity. Shouldn't they be putting up stores having once gone through it? Christmas cheer? So they are cunts pre- and post-Christmas? There is a collective "woe is me/grim winter approaching" pattern of whining starting already which is incredibly lame. People have to sack up. The only thing grim is the number of people I will have to tell to STFU over their whining.

Unpleasant? Nothing was unpleasant during the first go round. I quite enjoyed not having to interact with idiots except for the ones I was mandated to deal with. I don't need to go to my local and kvetch. Bulk buying is an indication of stupidity. Shouldn't they be putting up stores having once gone through it? Christmas cheer? So they are cunts pre- and post-Christmas? There is a collective "woe is me/grim winter approaching" pattern of whining starting already which is incredibly lame. People have to sack up. The only thing grim is the number of people I will have to tell to STFU over their whining.

That's one way of looking at it....

I have to say those who had to queue up to get into their local supermarket for an hour to find empty shelves were right in their estimation that things were not the opening credits of The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie.

Bulk buying in a period of shortage is not a bad survival tactic. Of course that can begat shortages, but are you willing to take the risk when there's that last box of whatever it is you need?

Life in a lock down for people like you and me is no real trial at all. We have space, inside and outside, resources and access to home deliveries and hypermarket international wholesalers where over crowding is no problem at all. But in the cities, even in places like The Hague, it was a completely different experience for the average punter. And that's why the most vociferous voices against a new lock down is from the working classes here in the Netherlands.

That's one way of looking at it....

I have to say those who had to queue up to get into their local supermarket for an hour to find empty shelves were right in their estimation that things were not the opening credits of The Waltons or Little House on the Prairie.

Bulk buying in a period of shortage is not a bad survival tactic. Of course that can begat shortages, but are you willing to take the risk when there's that last box of whatever it is you need?

Life in a lock down for people like you and me is no real trial at all. We have space, inside and outside, resources and access to home deliveries and hypermarket international wholesalers where over crowding is no problem at all. But in the cities, even in places like The Hague, it was a completely different experience for the average punter. And that's why the most vociferous voices against a new lock down is from the working classes here in the Netherlands.

I don't get deliveries including mail, which I have to pick up at my post office/gas station/liquor store. I come from less than average punter upbringing. My Baba and Geedo lived in a sod hut when they first came to Canada and had an outhouse until the 70's. I replicated that in the 90's by living in a cottage with no running water, an outhouse, and wood stove for a year. I was brought up to be self-reliant starting with my old man telling me stories about the ant and the grasshopper.

Lots of introversion in the past few posts.

My mate's girlfriend pushes him to go out to a crowded restaurant or bar, and it must be crowded, to keep up with adding original material to her Instagram.

”And on Friday, Smith and Trumbetti were due to attend a court hearing by phone in which a judge would allow or disallow the state to fine the gym more than $15,000 for every day they remain open.

’We’re not going to back down — this is not about opening up a gym,‘ Trumbetti told NBC News hours before the hearing. ‘This is about our constitutional rights, and he has violated them,‘ Trumbetti said, referring to Murphy.”

Interestingly I am on a Canadian forum reading a response to someone who believes people should have a choice whether it is safe to attend as a fan in a local sports game. Then he was met with comments like this:

“This is not about your freedom, it's about being a decent fucking human being and not giving it to other people who may not have the ability to go cope with the virus.

This Canadian ’BS‘ seems to be working, you want to join the American Yahoos, then be my guest and pack your bags.”

What happens when you have scientists and bureaucrats making decisions without understanding the repercussions. Every ferry, train and flight back from the affected countries is full. Is that not a recipe for coronavirus transmission?

Besides - the one bloke who makes it in by 1am compared to the one who staggers in 6am - is the 5 hour difference really all that much healthier that he doesn't require a quarantine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom