Coronavirus

I wonder what the number of recovered count means.

We count people as ‘recovered’ from the virus once they are no longer infectious (usually 2 weeks after their own infection). But that doesn’t mean they aren’t still dealing with long term symptoms and consequences.

Factory farming is actually the safest form of meat, avoiding all the bush and wild game risk of new viruses.

Interesting read.

Interesting and yet, the journalist missed the critical factor in seeding the virus globally: whilst China closed Wuhan internally, its residents could travel internationally.

The Western security services knew what was coming and its origin early days.

And where exactly are you getting this info from?

As an example:

Didn't New York only reopen indoor dining a week or two ago?

They capped it at 25% occupancy. The shutdown is only in certain zip codes/areas which have experienced spikes for whatever reason....one of which was non-compliance of mask wearing. That's on them!

Only third place.

I read a good article on Manaus which was hit hard right after carnival. They reckon the super spreader had visited London and came back with it. At the peak they had 2,500 cases per 100,000. Lots of deaths due to overweight and diabetes type 2. But the epidemiologists believe there won't be a second wave this year, due to the intensity of the first wave.

The eldest kid's form teacher has come down with it. I think I will down load the Dutch Coronavirus App. For sure it gets ever closer.

I read a good article on Manaus which was hit hard right after carnival. They reckon the super spreader had visited London and came back with it. At the peak they had 2,500 cases per 100,000. Lots of deaths due to overweight and diabetes type 2. But the epidemiologists believe there won't be a second wave this year, due to the intensity of the first wave.

The eldest kid's form teacher has come down with it. I think I will down load the Dutch Coronavirus App. For sure it gets ever closer.

I thought Carnival was delayed and then scrubbed for next year. Brazil never took it seriously. I have someone on my social media from Sao Paulo and she was still flying around in country around Easter. Most of Americas from Mexico and below reacted late, put in half measures and then never really enforced them. My Mexico office had multiple outbreaks and people were still told to go back in. The most absurd was being told to work remotely and then still going out to eat at a street food stall.

I'm not downloading that app. I don't need a computer to tell me when I need to self-isolate. I'll make that decision myself.

They capped it at 25% occupancy. The shutdown is only in certain zip codes/areas which have experienced spikes for whatever reason....one of which was non-compliance of mask wearing. That's on them!

I can't see with that density that it would be effective. It would play out like a mini municipal version of what's happening with the myriad of restrictions that are nine pages long in Britain right now.

well this is fucking terrifying

There’s no question that C19 has lingering medium term and long term effects for even younger victims. No one knows if these ameliorate with time, stay the same, or get much worse. There appears to be some evidence for all of these. Recovery in most countries simply means not testing positive anymore.

Let's jab ourselves with anything that might help.

I think that one of the reasons why this is being investigated is that COVID-19 does not appear to have had as much of an effect in some countries such as Japan, which has near-universal TB vaccination using the BCG vaccine. So although it's uncertain, it's thought that the BCG vaccine - which, of course, is designed to fend off tuberculosis, which is a disease that attacks the lungs, like COVID-19 - may help to explain why Japan, as an example, appears to have lower infection rates and higher survival rates.

Perhaps I should go and have the BCG vaccine - after all, the rest of my family have had it...

Covid across Europe

"In March, the Netherlands implemented a self-titled 'intelligent lockdown', so life could continue while limiting the spread of the virus. More recently, people have been advised to wear masks in all enclosed public spaces. But introducing mask rules in two stages appears to have affected compliance. Mask-wearers remain in the minority. Looking in shops as I cycled down my local high street in The Hague, no-one was wearing a mask."

Corroborated by Mr. Smith's observations.

I think that one of the reasons why this is being investigated is that COVID-19 does not appear to have had as much of an effect in some countries such as Japan, which has near-universal TB vaccination using the BCG vaccine. So although it's uncertain, it's thought that the BCG vaccine - which, of course, is designed to fend off tuberculosis, which is a disease that attacks the lungs, like COVID-19 - may help to explain why Japan, as an example, appears to have lower infection rates and higher survival rates.

Perhaps I should go and have the BCG vaccine - after all, the rest of my family have had it...

There is a vaccine for TB? I didn't even know that.

Is that all modern Asian countries or just Japan? (South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan). I can't imagine it is universally distributed in China. I actually doubt anything is universal there except for party ideology. Relative to population sizes the outbreaks amongst Asian countries is low but I always thought it was the early strain or something.

Modena, Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson - which vaccine to take? We think all three will be available early next year.

There is a vaccine for TB? I didn't even know that.

Sure is - I think that the BCG vaccine is almost a century old now!

It's in very widespread use in Japan, all across the rest of Asia, the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East, Africa and South America. The exceptions are most of Europe, the UK, North America, Australia and NZ.

The vaccine is not that effective - apparently only about 50% efficacy or something like that, which is a bit concerning given that TB is still widespread in developing countries and that there are emerging strains of antibiotic-resistant TB.

That’s pretty normal during clinical trials. I’d be more worried if there weren’t a few pauses along the way.

The J&J vaccine is unusual in that it’s the only single dose product (and it is a non-replicating viral vector). That will be a lot easier to deal with than the crazy -20 C mRNA product requiring a second dose at 30 days.

I reckon it is like homeland security. You will never get to an all clear low rating when it is all safe.

The Police Union here is calling for a total ban of sales of alcohol. This country is awash with cocaine, meta-amphetamine and C class narcotics. All that will do is expand the businesses of the narco-gangs. Think as mince meat.

Yesterday in parliament here, all the parties blamed the people for not doing as they were told and in hindsight they wished they had been ''harsher'' in restrictions.

We must be wary of an authoritarian state developing from this. There are many petty-tyrants waiting to take away our liberty and we will be in Orwellian war against the virus that never goes away.

Here we loosened restrictions on restaurants selling take-away alcohol while closing the bars and nightclubs. We encourage home drinking.

Also, look who is winning:

5E3C0F5A-5C0C-4B42-A9FF-D787CDE3FBC0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom