Coronavirus

All bars and pubs and cafes and restaurants closed. Take away only. Grog shops open til 10pm. No visitors allowed at home. Must wear masks outside house area. 5K limit on travel. Most retail shops closed except non touch click and collect. No hairdressers.

It doesn't seem like the US has been able to curb the spread. Is there any sense that the government should be communicating with those of countries who have (e.g. Taiwan)? It just seems like time is awasting...

It doesn't seem like the US has been able to curb the spread. Is there any sense that the government should be communicating with those of countries who have (e.g. Taiwan)? It just seems like time is awasting...

Public Health knows exactly what to do, but there is just no political support in the White House for a nationally coordinated response. Maybe after the election we can get serious about mitigation as well as vaccination.

Don’t rely on the WHO since Taiwan is not a country to them.

All bars and pubs and cafes and restaurants closed. Take away only. Grog shops open til 10pm. No visitors allowed at home. Must wear masks outside house area. 5K limit on travel. Most retail shops closed except non touch click and collect. No hairdressers.

Isn’t this your third quarantine?

Melbourne 5m popn. Down to 2 new cases in last 24 hours. No one in ICU

That means you can contact trace quick ans stomp on it.

Why didn't that happen last time?

Has the Andrews government yet figured out how the COVID-19 numbers managed to explode so quickly a few months ago?

Why didn't that happen last time?
Has the Andrews government yet figured out how the COVID-19 numbers managed to explode so quickly a few months ago?
This virus explodes quickly - suppression depends on absolute numbers - when you have large numbers and multiplying exponentially you can't contact trace effectively and isolate. In other words - it gets away.

Even so a study published in the Medical Journal of Australia estimated Victoria’s control measures averted between 9,000 and 37,000 cases in July.

This is really only our second lock-down but is much much stricter than our first lock-down. And.

And.

Its working.

July :: 723 new cases each day at peak. Today:: 1 new case.

Tomorrow - the Premier will announce some slight easing of restrictions

Last edited:
July :: 723 new cases each day at peak. Today:: 1 new case.

Today - NO Covid 19 cases in ICU

Tomorrow - the Premier will announce some slight easing of restrictions

1602892278724.png
1602892295150.png

Last edited:
Whilst I'm no expert on USA politics and cultural matters - it does appear to me that Massachusetts is NOT a hotbed of rabid MAGA red goofy hat wearing Qanon conspiracy theorists, white Proud Boys and militias defying sensible health precautions. It also has one of the better health systems in USA.

Whilst I'm no expert on USA politics and cultural matters - it does appear to me that Massachusetts is NOT a hotbed of rabid MAGA red goofy hat wearing Qanon conspiracy theorists, white Proud Boys and militias defying sensible health precautions. It also has one of the better health systems in USA.

Isn't Massachusetts one of the stats were is ripped through the OAP/nursing homes?

While this is true, I think another big factor is Fed support. I imagine Victoria is receiving support from the federal government (money, army reserves, labs, coordination etc) and also mutual aid from other states. MA is fighting with 49 other states for limited resources with limited support from outside.

Where is the impact on the GDP? Economic productivity? The poverty line?
That wasn't my point - its been harsh but the evidence is that countries with sensible measures to minimize virus haven't fared much worse - if at all- on economy etc than countries that have fucked it up

That wasn't my point - its been harsh but the evidence is that countries with sensible measures to minimize virus haven't fared much worse - if at all- on economy etc than countries that have fucked it up

All of my economic posts are in the economy thread.

I am just pointing out all metrics are focused on health and rarely do people post the number of jobs lost, amount of capital eroded or impact on P&L, etc.

Ekch2ddWkAEf5qE

Adding a third dimension of what preventive actions were actually taken could turn this into a useful graph.

l
That's a pretty bad argument even for a contra herd immunity argument. I.e. there isn't even a real argument against herd immunity presented, other that it might well not exist. Which might be an argument, but at this point, who gives a shit. All this let's keep everyone looked in their house bullshit is just old people lobbying for some more months leeching of the young and healthy people. It is preposterous and needs to end.

e. the author of this propaganda botch:
William_A._Haseltine.jpg

76 years old and has obvious problems coming to terms with his mortality

So apparently this map which has been making the rounds is not fake news and was indeed created by the BBK (federally responsible for disaster management etc) for internal purposes:

EkWWV6RXkAApZ1r

Not sure what to make of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom