Coronavirus

Hurrah - keep shipping those Pfizer vaccines over here from Belgium.
In contract law the EU is fucked which will take precedence over I'm the privileged VDL: give it to me because I'm the EU and I can!

The contract clauses are everything, unless they're ready to go all the way and declare their corporate authoritarianism.

“On Friday, Mr Le Drian said the EU ’shouldn't be paying the price‘ for the UK's vaccination policy.

He also criticised its approach to purchasing jabs, claiming the UK would struggle to source and supply second shots.

’The United Kingdom has taken great pride in vaccinating well with the first dose except they have a problem with the second dose,’ he said.

’One can't play with blackmail,‘ he added. ’You can't be playing like this.’”

You’re the reason I am bad...

“On Friday, Mr Le Drian said the EU ’shouldn't be paying the price‘ for the UK's vaccination policy.

He also criticised its approach to purchasing jabs, claiming the UK would struggle to source and supply second shots.

’The United Kingdom has taken great pride in vaccinating well with the first dose except they have a problem with the second dose,’ he said.

’One can't play with blackmail,‘ he added. ’You can't be playing like this.’”

You’re the reason I am bad...
The French need to look a little closer to home, their quasi-effective President would be a good place to start.

the-philippines-has-seen-a-surge-in-new-cases-of-covid-19-1616152202429-2.jpg

Manila lockdown. Alright lads let's fumigate the entire street. Bleach kills the coronavirus too.

Meanwhile in Germany:

Angela Merkel is pressing for a hard coronavirus lockdown in a new stand-off with German regional leaders.

In a television interview on Sunday night, Mrs Merkel, the German chancellor, threatened to take control of lockdown measures away from Germany’s 16 regional governments.

“We have to do more,” Mrs Merkel told Anne Will, one of Germany’s most influential talk show hosts. “If necessary I will invoke the Infection Protection Act to force the state to act. I am not prepared to stand by and do nothing for the next two weeks.” Concern is mounting in Germany over rapidly rising infections, although deaths continue to fall.

Under Germany’s federal system, it is currently the regions that have the say over lockdown. As chancellor, Mrs Merkel can use emergency laws to take control, but she has so far been reluctant to do so, citing the need for consensus.

But if the latest threat was intended to provide clarity, it appeared to have the opposite effect.

It was the second U-turn in less than a week from Mrs Merkel, who on Wednesday issued a public apology for forcing through controversial plans for a hard lockdown over Easter which were late withdrawn.

Regional leaders reacted angrily to Mrs Merkel’s criticism. “It’s pretty disappointing to be told what you should have done by some one who didn’t do anything herself,” Bodo Ramelow, the regional chief minister of Thuringia said.

“I’ve been calling for a step-by-step plan and uniform rules for all of Germany for a long time. I’m just irritated she’s now presenting it as a threat.”

Mrs Merkel accused regional leaders of failing to use an agreed “emergency brake” to reverse recent reopenings in the light of rising infections.

One of those she singled out for criticism was Armin Laschet, one of the main contenders to succeed her as chancellor later this year.

Mr Laschet was recently elected leader of Mrs Merkel’s Christian Democrat party (CDU). She accused him of not acting fast enough to curb infections in his other role, as regional leader of North Rhine-Westphalia.

But far from being cowed, Mr Laschet defended his strategy and called for Mrs Merkel to meet with regional leaders in person rather than by video conference to agree future lockdown measures.

Mrs Merkel was also critical of rapid testing projects set up by several regions to allow shops and restaurants to reopen for anyone with a negative test from the last 24 hours. “I don’t think strolling and testing is the solution,” she said.

Germany recorded 9,872 new infections in 24 hours on Monday, compared to 7,709 a week ago.

Monday figures are generally lower because some areas do not report over the weekend. The seven-day incidence is now 134 per 100,000 people.

But deaths continue to call despite the rising infections. Only 43 deaths were recorded on Monday, compared to 50 a week ago.

Doctors say the falling death rate could be evidence vaccination is working. Almost all over -80s and a quarter of over-70s have now been vaccinated in Germany.

Quite a few subtle, yet highly negative spins on AstraZeneca and their vaccine in the Dutch English news today and yesterday. Without doubt it's a propaganda mission.

Quite a few subtle, yet highly negative spins on AstraZeneca and their vaccine in the Dutch English news today and yesterday. Without doubt it's a propaganda mission.
As we often follow Europe, we froze vaccinations for 55 and below without any reported blood clot case. This was after begging the States to send over some from their freezer. Given the hospitals and general health counties/regions are already down to 70 and above with their pfizer/moderna stock I guess the pharmacies are left with 55-65.

"'China does have incentives to build a good reputation and show that it is indeed a responsible stakeholder in this global fight against the pandemic and future pandemics,' he said, 'but the politicization around tracing the origin has also raised the stakes way too high. The government is keenly aware of the negative ramifications if the study points to China as the origin of the outbreak.'"

....if the study points to China as the origin?

There are people in the world who don't believe China is the origin of the virus?

Might want to get a handle on it before winter.
They have winter now, don’t they? Won’t be an issue later this year anyhow. The new Biontech plant at their hq alone is currently producing something like 8m doses every 5 days and will be above 750m doses per year once it reaches full capacity in a couple of months. That’s on top of the current Pfizer capacity which is already massive. Plenty of the good juice for everyone, no need for cheap substitutes.

They have winter now, don’t they? Won’t be an issue later this year anyhow. The new Biontech plant at their hq alone is currently producing something like 8m doses every 5 days and will be above 750m doses per year once it reaches full capacity in a couple of months. That’s on top of the current Pfizer capacity which is already massive. Plenty of the good juice for everyone, no need for cheap substitutes.

Might want to get a handle on it before winter.
It’s not yet the end of autumn. Tomorrow will be 28C down here in Melbourne. Saturday 32C.

The federal government has stuffed up logistics and delivery of jabs. We are way behind target . But long term no real issue. We will be churning out our own stuff and it will take a while but will ramp up ok by mid year to September October.

Remember most states have had no cases of community transition for over a month or more. No states have anyone at all in ICU due to COVID except Queensland and I understand they are all cases from PNG which we take on friends/humanitarian grounds.

Sadly Queensland has had 18? Cases that seem to have escaped from quarantine of overseas arrivals and or PNG patients. However Brisbane has gone into a sharp 3 day lockdown and probably contained it.

I had my jab today.

If countries want to queue up for the Chinese one that is barely over 50 percent efficacy in Brazil - it has proven to be a formidable competitor to saline and placebo.

Went to Amsterdam today, what an awful shopping experience. You have to book at least 4hrs ahead to get into a shop, no booking, you don't get in, even if the shop is empty.

Spent a lot of time outside stores in the main shopping district, the smell of marijuana was everywhere as where black Nike bubble coats that were as long as trench coats. A pretty awful high street experience. Lots of dog turd too and chewing gum. The plethora of steak houses are not a good sign either, although they're all closed.

These Covid restrictions make shopping online ever more attractive.

"Non-essential movement is banned, but people are allowed to share an Easter meal at home with two other adults."

That's generous. I haven't seen my brother for two consecutive Easters now.

Went to Amsterdam today, what an awful shopping experience. You have to book at least 4hrs ahead to get into a shop, no booking, you don't get in, even if the shop is empty.

Spent a lot of time outside stores in the main shopping district, the smell of marijuana was everywhere as where black Nike bubble coats that were as long as trench coats. A pretty awful high street experience. Lots of dog turd too and chewing gum. The plethora of steak houses are not a good sign either, although they're all closed.

I think the worst was when non essential shopping was pick up only here in January. A man and his son queued in front of this store and someone opened the door to greet them. He pointed at something through the window and said he wants to purchase that. She pointed at a sign on the glass window that asked him to scan the QR code to make the purchase online so she can receive the order in the store and place the item for pick up. He pointed at the item and said it's right there.

The absurdity of it even drove me mad and I wasn't purchasing anything from that store nor was I the one being inconvenienced.

The other thing that drives me mental are the x percent occupancy rates. Do men really need to accompany their spouses and needlessly occupy a space in a women's clothing store that can't hold more than 10?

Thank you for giving me even more reason to never go back to Amsterdam - I miss the Johan Cruyff Arena, though. Seeing that when I was a teenager was awesome.

I had a wild time in Amsterdam. Maybe not somewhere I’d want to live, but definitely a lot of fun for a week.

Thank you for giving me even more reason to never go back to Amsterdam - I miss the Johan Cruyff Arena, though. Seeing that when I was a teenager was awesome.
As you move towards the Anne Frank museum, in the Grachtengordel-West area it's still a desirable place to live and I expect there will be excellent restaurants there. But the main tourist and shopping areas are getting a bit tacky and the same high-street, fast-food joints you experience across the western world with the usual dodgy characters moving around.

There's a lot of trouble in the red district these days too, people smuggling and heroin abuse. Their looking at ways of closing it now, or curbing the excesses.
I had a wild time in Amsterdam. Maybe not somewhere I’d want to live, but definitely a lot of fun for a week.
For sure you can still do that, to live in Amsterdam is still the privilege of the wealthy. But the last couple of times I've been, it's not wowed me like it use to.

Mmh
We’ve opened up here in melbourne. Masks only on public transport and healthcare places.

Some limits on numbers @2sq m or 4 sq m per person depending.

We have had no cases of community transmission in the whole state, ~6m popn. For well over a month.

I got my jab last week. Mild hangover effects next day.

I want the freedom to drive drunk without the government and the rest of the community getting up in my business.

I want the freedom to drive drunk without the government and the rest of the community getting up in my business.
The community has sacrificed a lot for what turns out doesn't have 3.5-5%+ mortality with up to 20% hospitalized which was what we were expecting a year ago. Now we know it's three times as bad as seasonal flu, but very much waited towards older people. For young people it turns out to be less severe than seasonal flu.

The risk can be managed adequately without draconian shutdowns of economic and social life.

Even SAGE advise there will be no more lockdowns and it will in future be managed no different to seasonal flu. Which even being three times worse than seasonal flu, is still doable without the tyranny of a biosecurity state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom