Coronavirus

4M a day? In one day you did 2/3 what my country has done cumulatively. And we approved the vaccine earlier than the US.

It's not without some merits and who doesn't want freedom from the endless push and pull of lockdowns and limited release, mask wearing and curfews?

It's entirely appropriate to monitor government policies and to be critical, and to push back, if it appears to be going too far.

However, it's also the job of government to look after its citizens, as long as it does not go too far. Clearly, there's a balancing point.

I only hope that the people who are screaming about "loss of freedom" now have been shouting as loudly about the massive rise of the national security state in many western countries over the past couple of decades. Frankly, I think that's a larger cause for concern, and far, far fewer people died from terrorism than died from coronavirus.

I want the freedom to drive drunk without the government and the rest of the community getting up in my business.

And not wearing seatbelts - don't forget the tyranny of the seatbelt industry!

^
I don’t care so much about seatbelts. If you exercise your freedom from the seatbelt-industrial complex, you are only risking your own life - not everyone else’s.

Do people have to pay for nasal swab tests? Here the trick to getting around the criteria you have to have symptoms to register for a test is simply saying you don't have symptoms but you're sure you were exposed to someone who did.

Do people have to pay for nasal swab tests? Here the trick to getting around the criteria you have to have symptoms to register for a test is simply saying you don't have symptoms but you're sure you were exposed to someone who did.

It's mostly free now.

Now we have to show a negative test if we intend to stay longer than 48hrs in Germany. The English Dutch news sites are not in unison: one is talking the third wave up with increased cases including in ICU's, another not as bad as before.

At street level it matters not, the rush hour traffic is near back to normal with the usual traffic jams, so one can easily deduce most workers out of the retail and hospitality sectors are back in work.

Now we have to show a negative test if we intend to stay longer than 48hrs in Germany. The English Dutch news sites are not in unison: one is talking the third wave up with increased cases including in ICU's, another not as bad as before.

At street level it matters not, the rush hour traffic is near back to normal with the usual traffic jams, so one can easily deduce most workers out of the retail and hospitality sectors are back in work.

We're in third wave "shutdown" after lockdown since Christmas was lifted not even a month ago. Enjoyed outdoor dining for less than 10 days and we're closed again. Medical and scientific community clamouring for school, office, factory and construction closures in addition to everything else - and of course monies to be dispersed to compensate for people who are affected.

I’m assessing the risks of letting my kids attend summer ‘day camp’ activities like gymnastics and rock climbing in a few months. I really want to get them back into social and physical activities, but it’s so hard weighing risks and predicting future infection rates right now. And this is my job - I can’t imagine how tough it is for all the other parents out there making these difficult decisions.

I’m assessing the risks of letting my kids attend summer ‘day camp’ activities like gymnastics and rock climbing in a few months. I really want to get them back into social and physical activities, but it’s so hard weighing risks and predicting future infection rates right now. And this is my job - I can’t imagine how tough it is for all the other parents out there making these difficult decisions.

Ignorance is bliss

What’s the eye roll for, Fwiffs?

You're one of if not the most informed hailing from the country most capable of doing something about it (maybe not necessarily preventing it) and you can't decide.

I might as well roll over because it doesn't look like I will get a first inoculation until autumn at the rate we are going and the second one in 2022.

My kids won’t be vaccinated any time soon. I still have to assess risks for them while making enrollment deadlines for the stuff they want to do over the summer.

You're one of if not the most informed hailing from the country most capable of doing something about it (maybe not necessarily preventing it) and you can't decide.

I might as well roll over because it doesn't look like I will get a first inoculation until autumn at the rate we are going and the second one in 2022.
he was not talking about deciding on getting vaccinated. He is undecided about letting his kids back into group activities while they have not been vaccinated.
I haven't received mine owed to me for professional reasons yet and I am not whingeing about it.

You should be more concerned of the ridiculous 16 week interval between immunizations which puts any lasting immunity into jeopardy given that it is far off the evidence-based recommended interval.

You should be more concerned of the ridiculous 16 week interval between immunizations which puts any lasting immunity into jeopardy given that it is far off the evidence-based recommended interval.
So, isn't this the fault of the PM putting all the eggs into the basket called CanSino?

I am pretty sure I posted here that Canada is the only country citing 120 days separation between first and second dose is still effective without any data to back it up other than logistical motivations and a political need to honour a promise you will get a dose by X month.

I advocated people who were doing pharmacies to play one pharmacy brand off another and time their own 21 days for the second dose. I also encouraged my relatives to sign up for second shots in other regions. This might have worked in the first few weeks before the province launched their online system where pharmacies and counties now need to submit the health card number to the province for validation. Prior to that it was recorded on paper.

That said when they open it for undocumented migrants one can claim that status.

I am pretty sure I posted here that Canada is the only country citing 120 days separation between first and second dose is still effective without any data to back it up other than logistical motivations and a political need to honour a promise you will get a dose by X month.

I advocated people who were doing pharmacies to play one pharmacy brand off another and time their own 21 days for the second dose. I also encouraged my relatives to sign up for second shots in other regions. This might have worked in the first few weeks before the province launched their online system where pharmacies and counties now need to submit the health card number to the province for validation. Prior to that it was recorded on paper.

That said when they open it for undocumented migrants one can claim that status.
The point is you missed the point of @Dropbear’s and then started whining about yourself as per usual

The point is you missed the point of @Dropbear’s and then started whining about yourself as per usual

I don't have authority to speak on kids as I don't have any.

I could say I think it's absurd my brother's 2 1/2 year old spends time in a day care where he is isolated to a table and surrounded by plexiglass in cohorts of X and every few weeks there's an exposure or case amongst the cohort so he has to go for a test or self isolate. He runs around saying he needs to wear a mask before going inside, or throws/receives balls to a video camera because he's not allowed to go on a playground or interact with his friends. Who knows what happens when half of your life you grew up in this pandemic.

I don't have authority to speak on kids as I don't have any.

I could say I think it's absurd my brother's 2 1/2 year old spends time in a day care where he is isolated to a table and surrounded by plexiglass in cohorts of X and every few weeks there's an exposure or case amongst the cohort so he has to go for a test or self isolate. He runs around saying he needs to wear a mask before going inside, or throws/receives balls to a video camera because he's not allowed to go on a playground or interact with his friends. Who knows what happens when half of your life you grew up in this pandemic.
This will become one of the biggest issues in a couple of years, the fact that Western countries have severely damaged the development of the young and youngest (e.g. Austria has zero capacity for emergency psychological treatment for suicide prevention etc anymore, kids everywhere panicking when they see mask-less faces, teenagers having lost a year of education, etc pp) only to buy some gerontocrats a few additional months.

I've a Czech associate in hospital now, not in ICU, but he said it's very bad in the email. He's a big guy, not fat, but he's about 6'4'' and very broad.

Another, who's being doing a load of remote work for several clients last month has said he can't visit a vendor as he's had Covid and needs to still isolate. Which I better keep hidden as I will get into trouble with HSE and the clients if they find out. He's late 50s and said nothing more than a bit of a chesty cough and hence he could work remotely no problem. I asked him why didn't you tell us? He said he didn't want us to worry.

Went to see a colleague in the middle of Rotterdam this afternoon, it's bleak drinking coffee in the rain, wind and sleet with a load of pigeons thinking you're going to drop some kibbling for them.

Another interesting piece of information for the Sweden deniers, restaurants open, schools open, basically no mask requirements, etc:

EySDYYlWEAEQs-M

Bar = test positivity rate
Line = new hospitalizations

How does one read the percentages? Week 44 shows ~10% tested positive. Week 45 shows ~11%. Is the previous week included in the following week? If so, are people only removed as positive when they test negative/die? And if so, are people who previously tested positive and are currently negative included in the denominator for the next week?

How does one read the percentages? Week 44 shows ~10% tested positive. Week 45 shows ~11%. Is the previous week included in the following week? If so, are people only removed as positive when they test negative/die? And if so, are people who previously tested positive and are currently negative included in the denominator for the next week?
It is (# pos. tests week n)/(# tot. tests week n) - it shows that despite everything being open and no mask wearing, the disease does not become more widespread. The constant number of weekly hospitalizations indicates the same.

More on the Swedish failure:

You usually don’t read the stuff you post here, don’t you?

My sister lives there and is a teacher and life never stopped for her.
I am happy for your sister. Unfortunately life stopped permanently for a disproportionate number of her fellow Swedes.

And now for some motor vehicle epi in the pandemic:

I'm a rube, clearly worthy of contempt but if the consensus of the west is to put the boot of the state on the neck of the proletariat, I don't blame the Swedes for not wanting any of it.

I'm a rube, clearly worthy of contempt but if the consensus of the west is to put the boot of the state on the neck of the proletariat, I don't blame the Swedes for not wanting any of it.
has Sarto hacked your account?

Hey Arny said "proletariat" wtf

Well here in Victoria we are up to 40+ days with no community transmission. No one in ICU with C19.

Still I suppose we could look to Sweden.

Australia population = 25 Million
Cases 29,385

Recovered 25,486Deaths 909

Sweden Population = 10 million
Cases

RecoveredDeaths 13,595

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom