Coronavirus

03388A59-E7CD-474E-A385-2D6A375245C8.jpeg

"One mum dropping her son at ballet today did not possess the mandatory QR code Covid pass to enter. She explained, 'Ik doe niet mee' ('I'm not participating'), popped her five-year-old inside and left the building."

"Most people in the Netherlands reluctantly agree that sacrificing parts of their social lives can contribute to the greater good."

In the end, old people are old and will die.

Apparently my immune system is the best line of defence because it doesn't need formula tweaks every year against viruses.

Boris Johnson seems alright. Emmanuel Macron. So does Javier Bolsonaro. For that matter Rudy Giuliani, the Trump clan, and everyone else seem to be still ticking too.

Boris Johnson seems alright....
That's debatable.

Looks to me, that the herd immunity through vaccines isn't going to be delivered e.g. Singapore 85% of the whole population double jabbed and they've cases and deaths jumping up significantly. 70% here and we're back in the beginnings of lock downs. UK, 80% of adults, not much of a whiff of herd immunity.

Dr John Campbell stated he expected signs of herd immunity in the UK by this stage, he now believes this will be in January/February. Which year, he didn't state.

Coming from the country that gave birth to the man synonymous with the Nazis. They should have people chanting “Lock them up…lock them up.”

Boris Johnson seems alright. Emmanuel Macron. So does Javier Bolsonaro. For that matter Rudy Giuliani, the Trump clan, and everyone else seem to be still ticking too.
Huge number to base science on..........

Good summary of the situation in Europe right now:

"A person walks into a five-star hotel to ask briefly for directions and ends up in two weeks quarantine because a guest had some coronavirus contact. One crew member on a high-speed train has close contact with an infected person, and a trainload of passengers is sent to quarantine for mass testing. In Shanghai Disneyland, 33,863 visitors suddenly have to undergo mass testing because a visitor the day before got infected.

Welcome to life in the country which now feels like a perpetual, back-to-zero-Covid world."

Good summary of the situation in Europe right now:

There are outliers, like Germany. At 31% unvaccinated and a 7-day average of 438 cases per 100K, Germany is breaking case records. Hospitals have stopped elective surgeries. The German armed forces is preparing to mobilize 12,000 soldiers to assist overrun healthcare systems. This is an odd picture, as Germany has been a consistent success story throughout the pandemic.

The reason for the surge is, as always, complex but includes a change of leadership, politics, and restrictions lifted prematurely. It also includes a dangerous wave of vaccine skepticism and mis/disinformation campaigns. Sound familiar?
It would be interesting to know why Germany has by far the highest share of ICU admissions, it is multiples of any other country that publishes this data.

It would be interesting to know why Germany has by far the highest share of ICU admissions, it is multiples of any other country that publishes this data.
Maybe an older and/or more out of shape population?

Germans aren’t exactly known for their physical fitness regimens

It does so happen, that there's some big guys in Germany. More so than the Netherlands.

But that doesn't explain the big rise in cases in the Netherlands, which the article doesn't explore. The Dutch are generally healthy, thin folk on account of all the bike riding. Big uptake in vaccines too.

My sister has it in the UK, another double jabbed.

We've arrived at the point where the efficacy is 3-6 months with all the wariness of being boosted forever and the issues with the risk of the vaccines themselves being a bit more than less than zero compared to established vaccines. You have the BMJ Pfizer article I linked to. The comfort factor isn't there for me at the moment.

I don't think so. It may be a factor, but as a population I wouldn't know where the big difference to most immediate neighbours would come from. I can't really find all the sources anymore, but I remember they also have a multiple of ICU beds per capita available compared to pretty much any other country, so maybe they are quicker to move patients to ICU. (I mean if your ICU capacity is zero, your share of ICU-Covid patients will also be zero) Also the definition of what's ICU differs across countries and sources. I don't think it is overly relevant, but it would be interesting to know.

I don't think so. It may be a factor, but as a population I wouldn't know where the big difference to most immediate neighbours would come from. I can't really find all the sources anymore, but I remember they also have a multiple of ICU beds per capita available compared to pretty much any other country, so maybe they are quicker to move patients to ICU. (I mean if your ICU capacity is zero, your share of ICU-Covid patients will also be zero) Also the definition of what's ICU differs across countries and sources. I don't think it is overly relevant, but it would be interesting to know.
That much sounds credible. And that's where the problem is, there's no like-for-like, the stats can't be benchmarked.

A couple of weeks it was deaths over reported, now across the MSM under reported.

One thing I do know, several family and colleagues in the UK, who are a couple of months ahead on the double-jabs are all falling ill with bad cases of Covid lasting several days. Not being hospitalized but incapacitated for 7-10 days. Not good.

Yeah, the Germany COVID ( and the Dutch/ Danish) spike is difficult to explain. The latter two countries have high vaccine uptake rate and their populations are among the healthiest in Europe.

Interestingly, UK (the sick man of Europe) is yet to have the comparative spike. Hmmm

But wait isn't the northeast one of the highest vaccinated?

"The rise in deaths in Vermont is also notable because it is the most vaccinated state, with 72 percent of residents fully vaccinated, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention figures."

"Carney added that the troubles vary by county, saying the surge in cases is most acute in rural areas in the northeastern part of the state."

All that fresh farm air isn't helping.

"
The deal with the UN-backed Medicines Patent Pool not-for-profit could make the treatment available to 53% of the world's population.

But it excludes several countries that have had large Covid-19 outbreaks, including Brazil."

If only Bolsonaro had responded to those e-mails from Pfizer he could make a deal now.

"In early November, Pfizer said clinical trials suggest that its Covid-19 pill, Paxlovid, cuts the risk of hospital admission or death by 89% for high-risk adult patients."

"
The deal with the UN-backed Medicines Patent Pool not-for-profit could make the treatment available to 53% of the world's population.

But it excludes several countries that have had large Covid-19 outbreaks, including Brazil."

If only Bolsonaro had responded to those e-mails from Pfizer he could make a deal now.

"In early November, Pfizer said clinical trials suggest that its Covid-19 pill, Paxlovid, cuts the risk of hospital admission or death by 89% for high-risk adult patients."
If 90%+ can't achieve herd immunity, I don't think reaching 53% of the world's population is going to cut the mustard,

If 90%+ can't achieve herd immunity, I don't think reaching 53% of the world's population is going to cut the mustard,
I don’t think you understand how antibodies work. Most people born before 1915 have antibodies linked to the Spanish flu. That doesn’t mean they don’t need a flu vaccine for the current virus in circulation.

This is of course % over people tested. not % of total population. You get that, right?
It's indicative that a super high percentage of the population have antibodies to Covid-19.
I don’t think you understand how antibodies work. Most people born before 1915 have antibodies linked to the Spanish flu. That doesn’t mean they don’t need a flu vaccine for the current virus in circulation.
Those are people who have antibodies against Covid-19. So it's specific. I understand that immunity lowers with time.

This is of course % over people tested. not % of total population. You get that, right?
As far as I understand this is modeled by the UK statistics office based on multiple excellent data sources and is supposed to be as representative as possible of the total population.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom