Cotton v's wool v's linen in summer

Safari jacket from Cesare Attolini in linen oxford, somewhat between formal and casual.

Screenshot (495).png
Screenshot (496).png
Screenshot (497).png
Screenshot (494).png

Why formal, in your view?
Given most safari jackets have double breast pockets (usually bellows or patch), large patch or bellow pockets, shirt sleeves and shoulders, 4-button straight closed quarters, and are completely unlined, I have a hard time thinking of this specific jacket design in general as anything but casual/sport.

Given most safari jackets have double breast pockets (usually bellows or patch), large patch or bellow pockets, shirt sleeves and shoulders, 4-button straight closed quarters, and are completely unlined, I have a hard time thinking of this specific jacket design in general as anything but casual/sport.
You need to get out more and stop reading AAAC from 10 years ago.

These days that jacket is very near morning suit formality

Be
Because you can wear it perfectly with tailored trousers, as well as chinos and casual ones.
The jacket, though unlined, has a proper structure thanks to the cloth and the cut.

Be

Because you can wear it perfectly with tailored trousers, as well as chinos and casual ones.
The jacket, though unlined, has a proper structure thanks to the cloth and the cut.
So not specific to the Attolini one, but more in general?

Fuck. Yet ANOTHER forum???
I think that's The Daddy clothing forum to use Shooey's parlance.

I used to read it but never posted on it. Much mirth is to be found on there if you roll back to the early/mid naughties.

I think that's The Daddy clothing forum to use Shooey's parlance.

I used to read it but never posted on it. Much mirth is to be found on there if you roll back to the early/mid naughties.

Thanks. Life’s too short, it seems.

So not specific to the Attolini one, but more in general?

There are specimens more rugged and with floppier fabrics which would suit less than that from Attolini with it's exquisite tailored detailing.

Last edited:
I never considered to buy a teba jacket, to be honest I wasn't even aware of it until little time ago, though it's a style that is intriguing me.

I have contrasting feelings about this one in donegal tweed from Dashing Tweeds.

Screenshot (526).png
Screenshot (527).png

On one side I like the cloth, the colour and the wider lapel, on the other one I don't like the fit.
Probably you must have a figure with more pronounced shoulders to wear such a destructured jacket. Maybe the taylor could cut the shoulder with a shape going slightly upwards at the armhole. Also not liking the automatic buttons at the pocket flaps.

First two definitely not something I would wear. Third one is raw denim?

This is described as a work safari jacket from the producer, to me it's more an overshirt. Not a fan of it. In Irish linen, by D'Avino Napoli.

Screenshot (567).png
Screenshot (568).png

Screenshot (569).png

Also not a fan of writings on buttons, here at least on the back.

Screenshot (570).png

I'm certainly not contrary to the use of denim in tailoring, but this is not the best example, by Bottega Dalmut:

Screenshot (602).png
Screenshot (603).png
Screenshot (604).png
Screenshot (605).png

Besides being too narrow at the hem, those cuffs are unsuitable in a tailored garment. And the metal buttons are tacky of course.

A nice safari jacket in sage green hopsack, from the collaboration between Santillo 1970 and Francesco Maglia.

Screenshot (607).png
Screenshot (608).png

During the manufacturing:

Screenshot (609).png

You can match meticulously jacket, shirt, tie and jumper, repeating the same tones like in this attire from Attolini, or you can go for more contrast, actually my favourite option. When you already have pretty contrasting colours in the jacket's pattern, like here, this match for association can work better though.

Screenshot (613).png

Screenshot (615).png

An autumn safari jacket in military green cavalry twill from Yeossal. Not sure about it: if I like the wide lapel and the overall cut, it seems to me a little in contradiction with the concept self of safari jacket, being a light garment for hot climates.

Screenshot (633).png

What's with the endless Safari jackets? Unless you are on Safari, there is no need for one.

What's with the endless Safari jackets? Unless you are on Safari, there is no need for one.

To me the safari jacket is a very nice and versatile garment, way more stylish than a harrington jacket. By the way, you don't need to play golf to wear a harrington, so neither you need to be on safari to wear a safari jacket.

To me the safari jacket is a very nice and versatile garment, way more stylish than a harrington jacket. By the way, you don't need to play golf to wear a harrington, so neither you need to be on safari to wear a safari jacket.
I have never played Golf in my life, I have been on Safari where I probably wore a Harrington. I personally find the Safari jacket dated, but yes that's just IMHO.
I wouldn't compare the two, they meet different requirements. In my opinion Safari jackets appear to be competing with a product new to me until recently, the overshirt...

Somethings have stood the test of time, the Chino and the Panama. Others have not, the Safari jacket and the Pith Helmet.

I find safari jackets goofy even if Sarto did many handpasses on it at the Attolini factory. It is costume. It is camp. It is taking the piss.

Thankfully I have no room in my sartorial space for a safari jacket.

We are seeing endless variations and crossovers of shackets, field jackets, safari jackets. Labels trying to put their own twist on things. A few hits but mostly misses.

We are seeing endless variations and crossovers of shackets, field jackets, safari jackets. Labels trying to put their own twist on things. A few hits but mostly misses.
Except shackets, field jackets, shirt jackets and every other jacket is better than a safari jacket.

Somethings have stood the test of time, the Chino and the Panama. Others have not, the Safari jacket and the Pith Helmet.
I think Safari jackets are pretty cool. I've got a blue, yeah thats right, BLUE one, in a Gobi Gold/linen mix. Paired with cotton trousers and a casual shirt whats not to like? Not really suited to ties IMHO, their more of a slack chilled vibe coat.

Panama's are hard to pull off if you're under 80 IMHO. The younger a man is the more of a dork he'll look in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom