Coveted Brands of Your Adolescence

Russell Street

King Of The Trolls
Supporter
I think the Salt&Pepa GEICO ad, with them in their ridiculous 8-ball jackets got me thinking about dead clothing fads that I lived thru. Back before we all became versed in quality and construction and all, brand meant more as a shibboleth of price/status/identity.

I personally recall that in the mid to late 1980s, suburban NJ was besieged by some Jeff Spicolli craze where everyone thought they were a surfer and this brand Ocean Pacific and it's Op logo were ubiquitous. There was some cornball expensive corduroy shorts with an elastic back and patch pockets and a little embroidered logo, but mainly it was stupid pastel silk-screened t-shirts. There was some rival brand that I can't remember.

There was also something called Jams or maybe Jamz, which was garish Hawaiian floral printed stuff in a Lily Pulitzer vein. They did big long shorts and shirts, and it was not uncommon for people to wear matching outfits.

So that wasn't just some bizarre regional thing. I'm at a loss to remember what anyone wore in the winter beyond jeans.
I can also say that Bugle Boy and LeTigre were always dicey propositions that one was never certain about.

Jeans or cords were pretty much it here.

Bugle Boy was for the more urban kids.

Oh wow, I forget that I did live through the time when the Members Only jacket was a serious and desired item.
I may have to do an image search, but the Benetton striped rugby shirt was de riguer for a while.

Need I mention that I had frugal trend-shunning parents that never partook in any of this stuff? I was lucky to get a pair of Nikes.

Well, I was going to stick with clothes, but the yellow Sony Sports crap was marketing genius as well.
I really have no idea what the big deal about Reebok was, but they were the bomb for a year or two.

Shit, the yellow Sony stuff was the jam. We had a boom box from that line up until five or six years ago.

Reebok had the pumps, that's about it.

I think the Salt&Pepa GEICO ad, with them in their ridiculous 8-ball jackets got me thinking about dead clothing fads that I lived thru. Back before we all became versed in quality and construction and all, brand meant more as a shibboleth of price/status/identity.

I personally recall that in the mid to late 1980s, suburban NJ was besieged by some Jeff Spicolli craze where everyone thought they were a surfer and this brand Ocean Pacific and it's Op logo were ubiquitous. There was some cornball expensive corduroy shorts with an elastic back and patch pockets and a little embroidered logo, but mainly it was stupid pastel silk-screened t-shirts. There was some rival brand that I can't remember.

There was also something called Jams or maybe Jamz, which was garish Hawaiian floral printed stuff in a Lily Pulitzer vein. They did big long shorts and shirts, and it was not uncommon for people to wear matching outfits.

we could not get Op in Canada, not that i wanted it. my cousins from California wore it and couldn't understand why i would think it was ghey.

it is still around. buying online via the Op website links you directly to Walmart.

it still looks ghey

i recall a fad with capri pants for men made from sugar sacks. seems to me it was circa the Zubaz era

il_fullxfull.275190287.jpg

couple them with one of these

91Q%2BB3M2wEL._UL1500_.jpg

and the first iterations of these
spin_prod_961990412

My and my peers high school years were all about:

index.php

with these underneath:
abercrombie%20fitch%20mens%20snake%20river%20in%20white-2425.jpg

I remember this very ad in my local A+F... because their jeans were the best.

Abercrombie_1.png

With flip flops for sure. All the time. Either of these:

rainbow-sandals.jpg

or
havaianas-brazil-black.jpg

For more emo-feeling days, appeal to the band t-shirts from Hot Topic.
zt7816.jpg
or
ledzep77distressed_1.jpg

FUBU. This was the shiznit among fat rich whiteboy gangstars in the 1990s.

ll-cool-j-04.jpg

I think our favourite oval-headed dwarf is bringing out his own rival collection - FOOBU.

teh velour sweater in hideous colours
36b76337d3f35d2cc22013fc35deada0.jpg

teh Wrangler wide-leg jeans
$_12.JPG

and a variety of cool kicks

6134173879_d78d02f949_z.jpg
8b5dadb2c969c68281ca277968bf793c.jpg

redpuma1.jpg

That's funny, I was just telling my mom the other day how I'm gonna bring back velour. Got a pretty fantastic eye roll for that one.

FUBU. This was the shiznit among fat rich whiteboy gangstars in the 1990s.
This was one of those things that, gun to my head, I wouldn't know where to procure. Where the hell was this stuff sold?

besides the jelly straps and all, there was some o-ring-like face guard. This somehow made sense in the 80s.
2e6eb0bc21bfa66bfaafe9fe72d34dfc.jpg

On the "My Adidas" front, the black Adidas Samba had some snob appeal and I eventually got a pair. I think they are indoor soccer shoes or something. They just had that big tongue, dark sole and friggin suede.

Last edited:
This was one of those things that, gun to my head, I wouldn't know where to procure. Where the hell was this stuff sold?

besides the jelly straps and all, there was some o-ring-like face guard. This somehow made sense in the 80s.
2e6eb0bc21bfa66bfaafe9fe72d34dfc.jpg

A lot of things made sense in the 80's for some reason.

I remember getting my girlfriend one of these for her birthday with like all the money I had in the world.

On the "My Adidas" front, the black Adidas Samba had some snob appeal and I eventually got a pair. I think they are indoor soccer shoes or something. They just had that big tongue, dark sole and friggin suede.

Have a pair that I wear regularly. Greatest casual shoe in the world.

For what I remember wearing it was usually Pac Sun clothes.

you know chiemsee sweaters?
buffalo plateau shoes?
nice adidas pents with sides that button all the way down?

mullet was 1980s btw
1990s = better trends

so what were the 90's trends ? glasses with tinted lenses ?

i have always been wearing >20oz three piece tweeders

how about you? rotterdam terror corps? nike? bomber jacket? gabba! hakken en zagen

you know me
australian track suit
raving on dj paul elstak

gabber not gabba

you have basically always been dressing like don colon ? you guys in the same fraternity ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom