Discussions on Ivy

Is there another retailer like them in the country? Ben Silver doesn't do the old stock nor are they as traditional as O'Connell's.

Is this too costumey or Mr. Rogers?
Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 9.24.01 AM.png

^^Absolutely.

I love cardigans, but would never get a patterned sweater (other than the pattern in the weave).

It's borderline. The price is great, but if you have hesitation now, pass.
I have no issue with knit patterns, although plaid is a bit forced. Fair Isle, stripes, argyle, reindeer!

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 10.04.25 AM.png
Fair enough, the brooks' signature plaid is very nice to my eye, I quite like the bowties.

Gitman_18513_02_Img41118_1434150531.jpg
I do not know if patch and flap pockets on a suit are trad or not. This suit appeals to me. Not for the "I'll wear them as separates as often as I will together angle" because I won't.

butterfly lining isn't it? I like this cut, or at least the idea of it. I am tiring of side vented jackets.

I thought it was butterfly but was not sure. I am rather tired of the ubiquity of side vents, despite them probably being better for me. J-hook now!

I am not certain either. 1/4 or 1/8 lined, buggy lined I think would also apply.

Anyway, seems like most quality vintage pieces (were lined everywhere but the back, below the shoulders (half-lined?). I'm for it.

apropos of the thread and topic of linings, a recent (two days ago) acquisition. Thrifted, in true Trad style, are both the button down (pinpoint, regular fit, USA made, Brooks Brothers) and heavy tweed 3/2 sack with patch and flap pockets (also BB). My size, both.
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG

That's about the color and pattern of my favorite. What I really envy on the above is the consistent buttonhole spacing on the lapel.

^^ I have noticed this too in old BB 3/2 sacks. I'm thinking of having my tailor add a additional button under the collar to allow for buttoning this all the way up.
I'm about as pleased as can be with the fabric and styling. I am concerned with getting enough material taken out of the waist.

For those that know and understand how a sack jacket is supposed to fit (I am not sure that I do) I'd like an assessment on the below please.

20150922_104057.jpg
20150922_104102-1.jpg

J Press is having a sale. 20% off on their dress shirts. Anyone own their version of the ocbd with the flap pocket? They offer a trim fit for $88

it is definitely too large through the body though that is easily corrected.

For those that know and understand how a sack jacket is supposed to fit (I am not sure that I do) I'd like an assessment on the below please.

View attachment 8747 View attachment 8748
A sack should fit like any other jacket. Not tight though like many these days.

That jacket looks too big. Might work over a jumper or cardigan and no tie.

Don't get too many Alterations to a jacket.
I've just finished watching Breakfast at Tiffany s . Have a look at George Peppard as Fred baby/ Paul for someone wearing a version of Ivy well.

The only alterations I'd get done is some slimming through the body. It fits the shoulders, perhaps is a bit roomy in the chest, definitely too big through the waist. The issue with that is ending up with a coat that has an hourglass shape.
I've only tried one other sack jacket in my size (42R) both from Brooks and it fit more of less the same as this. I'd love to size down to a 40 but I need 19" shoulders and I've never seen a 40 with 19" shoulders.
Or I could sell it to a fat bastard on ebay.

J Press is having a sale. 20% off on their dress shirts. Anyone own their version of the ocbd with the flap pocket? They offer a trim fit for $88

dont get trimfit. get tent fit to match the jacket

his point is that the park is not the birthplace of the fkn garment. it is a dinner suit which was brought to the land of the free by some emerekens that visited the civilized world and then it was named tuxedo (amongst emerekens) after being worn there. it wasnt born there kojak. the park merely lent its name to an already existing garment when it was introduced in emerekah

A sack should fit like any other jacket. Not tight though like many these days.

That jacket looks too big. Might work over a jumper or cardigan and no tie.

Don't get too many Alterations to a jacket.
I've just finished watching Breakfast at Tiffany s . Have a look at George Peppard as Fred baby/ Paul for someone wearing a version of Ivy well.

you see i told you not to get trimfit

image.jpg

and be sure to get collo americano

image.jpg

Some California nutter has made a big deal of recreating authentic bleeding hand-loomed madras cloth in India. It uses eco-safe dyes that muddle together further with each washing, and I guess the hand-loooming means a slubby "character" to the fabric, despite using decent quality long-strand cotton. Anyway, I had something that seemed to be vaguely authentic in the late 80s and it really was neat to see it get more muted and co-mingled every time it was rinsed.
Anyway, he has small runs via David Wood, and is supposedly sending some off to Mercer, and some GMTO at SF.
Currently, there is leftover raw fabric available by the yard at Etsy, which may be the only chance to get such a thing.
LoominousMadras

tumblr_mx7lgjAMzP1qm9khho1_1280.jpg

I guess this fits into the Ivy league trad bracket, and I quite like the look/picture. However, outside of a university campus do you think this look could be pulled off? I call upon DW's members who are far better versed on the topic to weigh in. I myself can't seem to put my finger on why it is, but it seems that outside of a certain locale/context, a fella rocking this particular get up could end up looking a bit daft.

Is that inherent within the American trad style being that it stems from the East coast collegiate scene? I'm always keen to gain more insight, so any thoughts or opinions would make for interesting reading.

I think this could be s good time to remind posters and others out there that there is a place for discussions about traditional menswear, other than the seemingly soon to be defunct FNB, Talk Ivy and the Ivy Style site which appears to have a moderator/site owner who really isn't in the game for the sake of open discussion and perhaps advice.

Shirt collars. Do you have a preference?

Since the age of about 14 I have had a preference for button down collared shirts. I feel they compliment my face and body shape and look good with or without ties. I do have many non- button down, but I feel something is not quite right if I wear them.

What about other posters? Are you fans of the button-down?

Last edited:
On the Ivy Style site a poster claims that Ivy style of dressing 'matches a mindset '.

'Wonderful photos indeed. Classic style, classic dignified thinking.( Ivy Style )is a style that matches a mindset."

To me, although that sounds possibly over the top somewhat, unless we are simply followers of current fashion, the fact that we choose a certain style of shoe, shirt, suit and so on must indicate that we are thinking consciously or unconsciously about the impact the clothes will have on us and on others. But is this of any real significance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom