Edward Green's New 890 Last

Thruth

Big Winter Daddy
Edward Green has released its first new last in 12 years: the 890. It is a chisel toe last. Would seem that it is a tweaking of the 89 last, which was used quite a bit with EG-made RLPL shoes.

Sounds like the chisel has been more chiseled as well as an adjustment to the side profile. Here it is along with other chisel toe lasts for comparison.

I have no experience with EG chiselled lasts although I do have the 606 which is squarish. The only true chiselled toe shoe I have is a Cleverley derby. I guess i prefer rounder toes.

Thoughts on this last or chiselled toes in general?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

888 vs 808
image.jpg

It looks quite nice.

I've got a couple of pairs of EG's on the classic, quite rounded 202 last and one pair of the "soft square" 606 last, which is essentially a 202 last with a more chiselled toe.

I used to like quite chiselled toes, such as C&J's 348 last, but I am also coming to prefer a softer toe. Of course, different toes suit different styles of shoe - I think that a shell cordovan longwing blucher, for example, really looks good with a softer, more rounded toe whereas a plain cap-toe balmoral can look very good with a sharper, more chiselled toe.

Is this a big Fuck You to Cleverly?

I don't know about that. Cleverley certainly is known for their chiselled toe but they have other profiles.

Lots of makers do a chiselled toe. EG is not competition for Cleverley, well maybe with their Anthony Cleverley RTW line.

It's EG tweaking their lineup for their fans & customers. No one is losing any sleep over in Old Bond Street

Maybe I'm too American. I don't see the appeal of corners on toes, even rounded ones. Is there some historical origin story for the chisel toe?

Edward Green has released its first new last in 12 years:
the 890. It is a chisel toe last. Would seem that it is a tweaking of the 89 last, which was used quite a bit with EG-made RLPL shoes.

Sounds like the chisel has been more chiseled as well as an adjustment to the side profile. Here it is along with other chisel toe lasts for comparison.

I have no experience with EG chiselled lasts although I do have the 606 which is squarish. The only true chiselled toe shoe I have is a Cleverley derby. I guess i prefer rounder toes.

Thoughts on this last or chiselled toes in general?

View attachment 3553

View attachment 3558
View attachment 3554
888 vs 808
View attachment 3556

this is too funny. the cleverley toe was designed by nikolaus tuzcek from austro hungarian origin.
vass creates a hybrid with the eyetalians, just to start copying english made shoes due to their fanboys requests.
now, EG copies the hybrid.
life would be so boring without igentism, not?

this is too funny. the cleverley toe was designed by nikolaus tuzcek from austro hungarian origin.
vass creates a hybrid with the eyetalians, just to start copying english made shoes due to their fanboys requests.

The IGent has had an influence on the makers, that is for sure. I was looking at Cleverley's website and th now prominently post their good press from the likes of Esquire. Plus they now have US offices on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.

http://www.gjcleverley.co.uk/

http://www.gjcleverley.co.uk/contact-enquiries

Glasgow Jr. is living the high life

I'm not one for elongated toes or unnatural shaping. They are certainly not bad, but I feel no need to disguise my short blobby foot shape.
There's a delicacy to the chisel that rubs me the wrong way. Instead of a solid, stalwart rounded hunk, it's this elongated thing with relatively formed edges out there at the most vulnerable spot. It seems to me to be a technological step backward, much like square or mitered edge on clothing. Rounded edges are more costly and time-consuming to make, and wear better, no?

EG's not necessarily copying the "hybrid" Vass - they could just as well be copying English chisel-toe lasts like Cleverley's, or C&J's 348 last, or Alfred Sargent's 724 last.

again the forum runs me as gheyani ties. was ok last week.

i consider Green maybe the best but won't wear that last.i use this thread to say how aberration are Cortgay Corthay unshoes. deserves execution in.Korea.

ii

Please be precise....
A south korean execution or a north korean execution?

The NK version will be a lot more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom