Everything Eyewear

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has the TART ARnel, MOSCOT Lemtosh, vintage keyhold, thick acetate style (i.e. Johnny Depp) since I KNOW there is a huge underground of consumers that are obsessed with the glasses/style.

I've got both the Arnel's and the Lemtosh in 44mm and 46mm. I have high myopia so I need to keep my lenses small. Actually, I think the thick Johnny Depp/Woody Allen/Peter Sellers style frames and browlines have already peaked and are already old hat (again).

The thicker frames can also be a problem in the summer, as you're experiencing "slipping down my nose which is annoying." You should go for a lighter frame when it's hot and humid.

In your first photo you seem to have an orange tint? Be wary of orange tints as it is often a sign that the wearer has glaucoma, or in the case of Michael York, something much worse:

395731_1.jpg

I have Cutler and Gross 0328 in silver. It is a copy of an Algha frame that used to be official issue to the Metropolitan Police apparently. I never knew there were standard issue spectacles for coppers.

https://www.cutlerandgross.com/shop/details/vintage-0328-gold

“Mr Gross fitted a pair of blue mirror sunglass lenses into a rolled gold frame with cable curled temples and made by Algha Works for the Metropolitan Police as their standard issue protective eyewear. This led to Cutler And Gross handmaking their own model 0328 in the early 1990’s, this time with hockey end temples.” A few pairs from the original Italian production are still available at the vintage shop.

I've got both the Arnel's and the Lemtosh in 44mm and 46mm. I have high myopia so I need to keep my lenses small. Actually, I think the thick Johnny Depp/Woody Allen/Peter Sellers style frames and browlines have already peaked and are already old hat (again).

The thicker frames can also be a problem in the summer, as you're experiencing "slipping down my nose which is annoying." You should go for a lighter frame when it's hot and humid.

In your first photo you seem to have an orange tint? Be wary of orange tints as it is often a sign that the wearer has glaucoma, or in the case of Michael York, something much worse:

View attachment 24166

Yeah lol, they are transistions, thats why they have kind of a tint, and it was just starting to transistion outside b/c of the sun and there is a filter on the photo , so the tint is actually more gray in real life.

I'm switched my major a few times and am actually still finishing my engineering BS at University, so I'm around A LOT of trendy young 20's students near the suburbs of a city.

I would say the thick frames are still the most popular for hipster styles. Also I noticed the clubmasters getting really popular.

Yeah lol, they are transistions, thats why they have kind of a tint, and it was just starting to transistion outside b/c of the sun and there is a filter on the photo , so the tint is actually more gray in real life.

I'm switched my major a few times and am actually still finishing my engineering BS at University, so I'm around A LOT of trendy young 20's students near the suburbs of a city.

I would say the thick frames are still the most popular for hipster styles. Also I noticed the clubmasters getting really popular.

The green transitions are well worth getting, the best clarity in vision I've ever seen. I was going to say saturated, but that would be pretentious.

The green transitions are well worth getting, the best clarity in vision I've ever seen. I was going to say saturated, but that would be pretentious.

I just ordered another pair of MOSCOT Lemtosh In black (currently had them in tortoise).

I actually made sure to not get the transistions, because every time I try to take photos the tinting looks really bad I noticed.

Also, my cheap local optometrist didn't even put anti-glare on my lenses, where as Moscot does it all online for like $150 (local optometrist is easily$250+++)

Also, my cheap local optometrist didn't even put anti-glare on my lenses, where as Moscot does it all online for like $150 (local optometrist is easily$250+++)

But your local opticians are measuring exactly the position required for accurate vision with your eyes, you can't do that online, or can you? Do you look into the screen and they check your movements for the line of sight, etc?

You should always tell your optician what spec you require, good one's will tell you options available, others will take advantage.

Face-to-face is still the best way to (i) physically check the quality of the frame, (ii) find a frame that suits your face, (iii) get the lens manufactured and fixed in the frame to what your line of sight requires and (iv) make any modifications to the frame once lens is in place. You can't yet, as far as I know, do that accurately on line.

But your local opticians are measuring exactly the position required for accurate vision with your eyes, you can't do that online, or can you? Do you look into the screen and they check your movements for the line of sight, etc?

You should always tell your optician what spec you require, good one's will tell you options available, others will take advantage.

Face-to-face is still the best way to (i) physically check the quality of the frame, (ii) find a frame that suits your face, (iii) get the lens manufactured and fixed in the frame to what your line of sight requires and (iv) make any modifications to the frame once lens is in place. You can't yet, as far as I know, do that accurately on line.

The only thing you need to do is get your RX prescription via a local exam, then after that, everything is cheaper online. Lens, frames, EVERYTHING is cheaper.

As far as the adjustments as you stated, you can always still take the frame/lenses that you ordered online and paid much less to a local optician for adjustments. It's a win-win.

I have two-pairs of RayBan RX5154 Clubmasters I ordered online and two-pairs of MOSCOT Lemtosh at the moment, again , ordered online and only plan to add to the collection. It's so much cheaper online it's unreal.

I saw one woman today with a green dress and green frames. She even had a green book but I reckon that was circumstantial. Further down the block I saw another woman with a red dress and red frames. Is it customary to match frames to your attire?

I only buy one pair every two years because I'm a cheap bastard and only use the 50 percent reimbursement for my benefits plan at work. I would never think of buying additional pairs at full cost. Now I'm worried I'm that guy who wears black shoes with a khaki suit or a black belt with brown shoes.

I saw one woman today with a green dress and green frames. She even had a green book but I reckon that was circumstantial. Further down the block I saw another woman with a red dress and red frames. Is it customary to match frames to your attire?

I only buy one pair every two years because I'm a cheap bastard and only use the 50 percent reimbursement for my benefits plan at work. I would never think of buying additional pairs at full cost. Now I'm worried I'm that guy who wears black shoes with a khaki suit or a black belt with brown shoes.
Do you have a vagina?

31F46C0C-87BC-40B6-A0D9-1CE863ED853B.jpeg
I bought a second pair of AOs with polarized lenses for shooting and outdoorsy time.

What's a good website to buy eyewear from? Looking to get a pair of Persol frames with lenses for someone.

What's a good website to buy eyewear from? Looking to get a pair of Persol frames with lenses for someone.

warby parker, frames direct, vint & york, ebay.. are personally some I dealt with. It really depends what frames you want. I got my RX5154 from framesdirect and another pair from ebay, and both were same quality (I get lenses installed locally by optician). I also have ordered from MOSCOT online, Warby parker, and Vint & York. I'm looking to maybe pickup some of those arnel replicas from eyeglassesboy like Dropbear Dropbear

I get some of mine direct from Shuron USA. Got a new pair of Ronwines wining their way to Oz

I was on a Mykita high last year. I might get a few pairs of Linda Farrows and Ditas this year.

Going to stick with Japanese and German crafts for now.

I know, not paying retail. just have to find them on sale.

What's the thought on Salt Opticals?

I know, not paying retail. just have to find them on sale.

What's the thought on Salt Opticals?

I like them, but my issue with all of those brands are the frame costs. Back in the day late 1980s and up to the mid-1990s I was a big Oliver People's and Air Titanium fan boy and I was paying GBP 400-500 for my specs. Now if I go the same route with my serious myopia and getting the thinnest lenses around, or green transitions, I can easily spend Euros 2 grand for a pair of spectacles that will last 18-24 months no longer than a cheaper pair. So I want frames less than Euros 500 as glasses are really a consumable as they don't last that long.

Salt is in the mid price range, I would say. There is a store in Chicago that carries Salt, I might go check it out.

To be honest, besides aesthetics, there are no dramatic differences between my $600 Mykitas and $60 old stock Shurons; at lease I can't tell.

I have a couple of Shuron frames too. Ronsir Zyl in black and Sidewinder in tortoise. Solid frames for very reasonable prices.

I have black and tortoise sidewinder and two pairs of ronsir zyl myself. Wearing the black sidewinders right now. Very solid frames indeed.

Rigards makes some very interesting horn rims, the price on the other hand is not too interesting.

I be too afraid to buy frames such as those, a bit too delicate for me.
I also like Kuboraum frames, but without trying them on in person, I am too afraid to purchase since I have a big Azn head.

Last edited:
Now if I go the same route with my serious myopia and getting the thinnest lenses around, or green transitions, I can easily spend Euros 2 grand for a pair of spectacles that will last 18-24 months no longer than a cheaper pair.

Why so fast? Is your eyesight changing/worsening that much?

By the way, did you read the article in the Guardian on "Big Lens"? I think that Thruth Thruth posted a link here somewhere, too. It's about a merger between Luxottica, the world's largest framemaker, and Essilor, the world's largest lensmaker.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ig-glasses-eyewear-industry-essilor-luxottica

Basically, your frames and lenses cost a few dollars to make, and then you're charged a fortune for them.

I think that's true for those brands; but for artisan makers, the price differential might be different. I remember Jil Sander had some wood frames years back and someone wrote about the technique and time used make those which were costly and time consuming. I guess it's a Ford vs Ferrari analogy.

Last edited:
Why so fast? Is your eyesight changing/worsening that much?.

I meant the glasses themselves, my eyesight has been stable for more than 10 years. But if you're wearing a pair of glasses every day, particularly acetate plastic ones, your sweat will start eating into them after 18 months.

By the way, did you read the article in the Guardian on "Big Lens"? I think that Thruth Thruth posted a link here somewhere, too. It's about a merger between Luxottica, the world's largest framemaker, and Essilor, the world's largest lensmaker.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ig-glasses-eyewear-industry-essilor-luxottica

Basically, your frames and lenses cost a few dollars to make, and then you're charged a fortune for them.

Interesting article, I've long suspected that spectacles and lenses had a big mark-up.

Last edited:
I get some of mine direct from Shuron USA. Got a new pair of Ronwines wining their way to Oz
I got my Ronwinnes a while back - sadly they don't fit. I have a big conk and high bridge so many glasses end up with my eyebrows looking through them. A pity - I like Shurons partly because they re not made by Luxoticca. I cant wear all plastic frames for that reason.

I've just had my eyes tested - again - I get it done at the University Teaching facility - partly because I have a sort of risk factor for glaucoma with a optic nerve cupping larger than most people. Its usually about 1/3 the size of the optic disc in most people and in mine its 2/3 the size. This also makes it harder to spot enlargement as enlargement , an indicator for glaucoma, is usually the same raw figure but much much less as a relative/ % of a large optic cup.. Most optometrists are too close to the sale of retail glasses and don't do very thorough eye health examinations. Studies show most people with newly/ previously undetected eye disease have had recent (retail) eye examinations. Suggesting most eye examinations are not health examinations and too influenced by retail.

Anyway - I'm reusing 2 of my my existing frames which are fine. One set of lenses is more expensive as its a true rimless - Silhouette brand - which I don't think they make anymore - that = $300. The other is semi rimless + $200. They both have anti reflection coating. My existing rimless ones are fine and I have a pair of Shuron Tortoiseshell type Malcolm X I use mainly for their clip on as shades with prescription.

I have 5 pairs of Shurons, they are amazing. This site has some NOS ones and the prices can't be beat. I bought three pairs from here before.

http://optometristattic.com/
I've had some from VIC but last time he wouldnt ship without insurance which cost as much as the value of the frames!!!
So I went straight to Shuron who will ship here in plain old mail. Shuron is about the same price as Vic with a bigger range. They were great to deal with. Even better in USA as I understand you can order as many pairs as you like for try on and return what you don't want. I think they will even do scripts.

I've gone direct Shuron and have the Ronsir's in the ebony and tortoise. Also got the Ronstrong's.

My verdict I don't like the plastic on the ebony Ronsir's, it looks a bit cheap. Also the screws on the nose cushions have all turned green which is a pet hate of mine. Still like the tortoise ones with the clip on shades,. The Ronstrongs proved not that strong and fell apart after a year.

I've gone direct Shuron and have the Ronsir's in the ebony and tortoise. Also got the Ronstrong's.

My verdict I don't like the plastic on the ebony Ronsir's, it looks a bit cheap. Also the screws on the nose cushions have all turned green which is a pet hate of mine. Still like the tortoise ones with the clip on shades,. The Ronstrongs proved not that strong and fell apart after a year.
A bit of white vinegar or metho on a cotton bud ( Q Tip in UK?) or toothpick will get rid of the green sweat stains

Will try the vinegar tip. There is always some dirt on the nose cushions though. Unless you get somebody to switch them out for new ones every now and again.

Shuron is a sound non Luxottica brand at a reasonable price. We have now passed peak browline though.

As regards spectacle frames as consumables, I remember the days when reglazing a frame was routine. Now specsavers tell you it is ‘at your own risk’ unless they have supplied the frame. They expect you to go for brand new frames with your new lenses.

Their own frames are as cheap as chips and some of them are wearable. I think I would be going down that route if I was getting really expensive quotes for specs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom