Everything Eyewear

The pair I received has wood frames and metal lense rims. I have a huge face and I am surprised they fit me perfectly. The hinges have springs built in.

They appear heft in weight but actually are light weight on my face. The look is specifically unique, definitely not everyone's taste.

Today is warm and sunny in Berlin, the right occasion to wear either one or the other of my latest sunglasses, the Persol 0581 or the 9649.

20210509_115830.jpg
20210509_115914.jpg

20210509_115549.jpg
20210509_115637.jpg

The first have a 70s vibe and the second ones are a light version of their classic 649.

I suspect I wouldn't like that first pair on my face, but I like the second. I once had some of those in that exact colour.

Two stunning new models from Persol, 5006 and 5007. In titanium handmade in Japan, they're quite expensive at official prices between 370 and 420 Eur. Actually I prefer acetate to metal, but these are really enticing. As a side note, I find regrettable that such a prestigious Italian brand lets produce these eyeglasses in Japan, even though I'm a great admirer of their highly skilled craftsmanship.

Persol-PO5006ST-800958.jpg
persol_0po5006st_800556_gold_silver.jpg
persol_0po5007st_800731_brown_gunmetal.jpg
persol_sunglasses_5007st_801057.jpg

Last edited:
I only trust Maison Bonnet:
Their familee has been eyewear titans ever since, dating back to around 1600 ad, sources report. If you have not heard about them, now is the time. Sonya and I have been friends for over 30 years now with these beautifullll gentlemen.
So, if you have monnay. If you have A LOT of monnay & are a beautiful gentleman interestød in anything about style - it’s time to think. Why not invest a couple of, say, thousand Euros for this FRENCH eyewear if you can be beautifulll? They also accept physical gold and silver coins and bars, so no one will be left bee-hind.

Cheers, Hugo

Their familee has been eyewear titans ever since, dating back to around 1600 ad, sources report. If you have not heard about them, now is the time. Sonya and I have been friends for over 30 years now with these beautifullll gentlemen.
So, if you have monnay. If you have A LOT of monnay & are a beautiful gentleman interestød in anything about style - it’s time to think. Why not invest a couple of, say, thousand Euros for this FRENCH eyewear if you can be beautifulll? They also accept physical gold and silver coins and bars, so no one will be left bee-hind.

Cheers, Hugo

Damn, now I'm wanting to have a pair in real tortoiseshell.

Cheers, Hugo

verri paulsux

First Post on page. He (naturally) bought into this. Deep inferiority complex, probably histrionic personality disorder from a deep psychopath.

Any experience with Jacques Marie Mage? They have nice pieces like the one below, part of the Last Frontier collection, inspired to the Far West and Indian culture:

503dc9e498fc1067b3835d2cab6b120d.jpg

First Post on page. He (naturally) bought into this. Deep inferiority complex, probably histrionic personality disorder from a deep psychopath.

Some other SF denizens purchased eyewear from there, too

Here's an example:

In short, after spending a vast amount of money on bespoke sunglasses and taking some 18 months to have them made and fitted, they didn't end up fitting properly - the changes made during the fitting process didn't "stick", for some reason. He didn't dare make any adjustments himself, so he had to wait until he was back in Paris to have them fitted again.

He commented in a later post on the blog that he didn't end up getting back to Paris for ages and so the sunglasses just languished in a drawer at home, unworn, for a year or two. So it took him 18 months to be able to get the finished sunglasses, and then once he got them, he wasn't able to wear them for a year or two.

He should just have gone to Sunglass Hut...

Some other SF denizens purchased eyewear from there, too

Here's an example:

In short, after spending a vast amount of money on bespoke sunglasses and taking some 18 months to have them made and fitted, they didn't end up fitting properly - the changes made during the fitting process didn't "stick", for some reason. He didn't dare make any adjustments himself, so he had to wait until he was back in Paris to have them fitted again.

He commented in a later post on the blog that he didn't end up getting back to Paris for ages and so the sunglasses just languished in a drawer at home, unworn, for a year or two. So it took him 18 months to be able to get the finished sunglasses, and then once he got them, he wasn't able to wear them for a year or two.

He should just have gone to Sunglass Hut...
It's somehow ridiculous to spend such amounts of money and to go through all those issues. Even admiring the great craftsmanship required in working the material and tranforming it in a pair of glasses perfectly (supposedly) fitting, I probably would never buy such an object. Actually I find cellulose acetate a beautiful material, totally fulfilling my expectations in quality and look.

That sounds like a fair sentence for him. What a joker. By the way: the glasses are too bold. In no way elegant. Probably thinks he‘s Steve McQueen.

It use to be so simple, just get Oliver Peoples with clip-ons for the sun, then Air Titanium, or Porsche Design/Rodenstock.
I tried some clip-ons for a pair of vintage frames a la Jimmy Dean. Unfortunately, they didn’t work for me - too hard not to get finger smudges on them when putting them on.
9AC5E615-4258-4A74-8CD7-5A12BAB023B1.jpeg

If you wore prescription lenses, you would know that clip-ons offer the best solution to UV protection with none of the issues of the alternatives, including photochromic/transition lenses.

But obviously the mere thought of clip-ons send you into hysterics.

As they say, humour doesn't travel well.
I tried some clip-ons for a pair of vintage frames a la Jimmy Dean. Unfortunately, they didn’t work for me - too hard not to get finger smudges on them when putting them on.
View attachment 38008
Shurons or other browline glasses work great with clip ons.

Yes I have Shuron Tortoiseshell Revelations (Malcolm X model) prescription with clip on shades. Another pair of no name semi rimless with clip ons. Best option. Clips ons slip in shirt pocket. No bulky second pair of specs. No looking like a goofball inside with transitions.

I liked the concept, but it didn’t work for me in practice.
CE032B4A-67AD-426E-973F-811A7EB5B016.jpeg

Yes I have Shuron Tortoiseshell Revelations (Malcolm X model) prescription with clip on shades. Another pair of no name semi rimless with clip ons. Best option. Clips ons slip in shirt pocket. No bulky second pair of specs. No looking like a goofball inside with transitions.
Transitions are also a bugger in cold weather, they go really dark and take forever to get back to being clear. And depending on what type you get, no good in the car.

I like my green ones though, they're definitely the best colour to go for.
I liked the concept, but it didn’t work for me in practice.
View attachment 38028
Always have some handy clean lens cloth on you.

In many cases a brand and/or a model was made famous by actors or personalities of the showbiz: an example is this model worn by the great Cary Grant in North By Northwest, and now revived by Oliver People in a series dedicated to the Hollywood icon.

Oliver-Peoples-Cary-Grant-Collection-0-Hero-1087x725.jpg
51IZv5Mt6WL._AC_UX679_.jpg
719vZVJXYTL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Or you could opt for the Moscot "Lemtosh":

lemtosh-sun-color-blonde-pos-1_1200x_28db37f0-b927-4251-adaf-c43bd07dac69_1024x1024.png
lemtosh-sun-color-brown-ash-pos-1_1200x_5026aa6c-2e95-44c1-af13-920f148900dc_1024x1024.png

I owned a few Tart Arnel copies before I decided they are a bit too chunky/small for my face shape.

Moscot Lemtosh were good - I balked at the price at the time, but it really hasn’t changed much in 10 years and doesn’t seem that bad compared to the ubiquitous Luxotica brands. And this was before Tart were revived at an even higher price. Eyeglass Boy is good for entry level Arnel frames in a range of colors. The Bespoke Dude have an awful name, but look like a good product for the Euro market.

As an aside, the James Dean Museum claim he wore Liberty Optical. There were a few brands at the time (Universal Optical is another brand, now revived, claiming to be the original Dean frames) doing something very similar to the Arnel and he may have worn more than one of them.

Last edited:
The most iconic model from Persol, the 649, designed 1957 for the tram drivers in Turin and made famous by Marcello Mastroianni wearing it in the film Divorzio all'italiana by Pietro Germi.

marcello_mastroianni_persol_649_occhiali_vintage.jpg

I have it in three colours:

20210515_191931.jpg
20210515_191858.jpg

20210515_191304.jpg
20210515_191103.jpg

20210515_192145.jpg
20210515_192125.jpg

In many cases a brand and/or a model was made famous by actors or personalities of the showbiz: an example is this model worn by the great Cary Grant in North By Northwest, and now revived by Oliver People in a series dedicated to the Hollywood icon.

View attachment 38063View attachment 38064View attachment 38065

Or you could opt for the Moscot "Lemtosh":

View attachment 38068View attachment 38069
You don't need to pay Oliver Peoples prices, just go straight Allyn Scura:

The Legend is the James Dean model.
I owned a few Tart Arnel copies before I decided they are a bit too chunky/small for my face shape.

Moscot Lemtosh were good - I balked at the price at the time, but it really hasn’t changed much in 10 years and doesn’t seem that bad compared to the ubiquitous Luxotica brands. And this was before Tart were revived at an even higher price. Eyeglass Boy is good for entry level Arnel frames in a range of colors. The Bespoke Dude have an awful name, but look like a good product for the Euro market.

As an aside, the James Dean Museum claim he wore Liberty Optical. There were a few brands at the time (Universal Optical is another brand, now revived, claiming to be the original Dean frames) doing something very similar to the Arnel and he may have worn more than one of them.
The Moscot's were about €800 for the frame here a couple of years back. Better go the Allyn Scura route which I did in black and tortoise shell. Ultimately, I decided they were too old fashioned looking for my face. I need a rectangle shaped frame. Although sometimes I go mad for round shaped glasses.

You don't need to pay Oliver Peoples prices, just go straight Allyn Scura:

The Legend is the James Dean model.

The Moscot's were about €800 for the frame here a couple of years back. Better go the Allyn Scura route which I did in black and tortoise shell. Ultimately, I decided they were too old fashioned looking for my face. I need a rectangle shaped frame. Although sometimes I go mad for round shaped glasses.
I don't know this brand (Allyn Scura): are they good quality? Never seen in person.

Eyeglass Boy’s Arnel copy is called the Producer - available in three sizes. I had a pair made into glasses and another as RX sunglasses. They do a lot of vintage reproductions and P3 shapes - I’m sure you could find Cary Grant’s frames there as well.

I despise the name, but these might be worth investigating:

I have Sharon Ronsir Zyls and clip ons for them. They look fine but are a bit heavier and a bit of a faff to put on/take off. I also have a pair of Cutler and Gross with lenses that go dark in sunlight. The terminology for these lenses seems to vary. They are a lot less bother than clip ons and I have no issues with the look - inside or outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom