Famous People Who Died

RIP.

A proper British boffin. Early computers were a hit. C5 electric vehicle was a dangerous joke. He invented stuff, some good some bad. Not sure how much money he made.

Marrying the young dancer also adds to the tale.
Think he made enough. He was hanging out in Stringfellows when he met the lap dancer.

Fond memories of the ZX Spectrum and before that a mate of mine had the ZX 81. I can remember Donkey Kong on it, it, there was no graphics, it was just letters used for characters and bouncing barrels.

As I've mentioned before, one of my ex-English teachers, Mike Singleton created the legendary Lords of Midnight for the ZX Spectrum. He made a fortune and left for Switzerland in the mid-80s. Another Wirral game programmer, was Matthew Smith he wrote Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy. There were lots of rumours about him in the mid-90s that he had become a recluse in Thailand, but turns out he was in the squatting scene in Amsterdam before being deported back to the UK.

The days of the twin towers of Wembley, terrible pitches and supporters in suits.

Before English football was ruined by money and foreigners.

Greaves was a proper Londoner too.

The days of the twin towers of Wembley, terrible pitches and supporters in suits.

Before English football was ruined by money and foreigners.

Greaves was a proper Londoner too.

I've read a couple of articles about football fans leaving the game recently.

It changed sometime in the 1990s from a working class fan base to the corporate box entertainment arena game it is today. I remember when the middle classes wouldn't go near the sport.

Greaves was indeed a good pundit.

I've read a couple of articles about football fans leaving the game recently.

It changed sometime in the 1990s from a working class fan base to the corporate box entertainment arena game it is today. I remember when the middle classes wouldn't go near the sport.

Greaves was indeed a good pundit.
Growing up in Wembley within sight of the twin towers, the FA cup and the Home internationals were everything. The Cup final was on telly from 8am til 6pm on both channels. Its importance has been undermined by money. No other country would allow that to happen.

I could turn up at Chelsea as a teenager, pay on the gate and get into any match. We could also buy tins of beer and bring them into the game. However, the prospect of earning thirty bob for a Saturday in Woolworths was more attractive than football. Thirty bob meant you could have a good few nights out and buy stuff. It was not sufficient to buy a vinyl LP though. It’s funny how that has all been turned on its head. Recorded music is freely available, but concert tickets, football tickets etc cost too much and aren’t always easy to get anyway.

Why Jimmy Greaves never got a knighthood is a mystery when you consider others who were honoured.
He only got a medal for his World Cup endeavours decades later.

The Telegraph points out ‘until 2017 and the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, Greaves was actually also the leading top-flight goalscorer across all of the big five European leagues.’

He also reached his England goal total in far fewer games than any other player.

Overshadowed by Jimmy Greaves passing, John Challis age 79.

Big in Serbia. Which put me in mind of Norman Wisdom who was very big in Albania in the days when it was closed off to the outside world.

Growing up in Wembley within sight of the twin towers, the FA cup and the Home internationals were everything. The Cup final was on telly from 8am til 6pm on both channels. Its importance has been undermined by money. No other country would allow that to happen.

I could turn up at Chelsea as a teenager, pay on the gate and get into any match. We could also buy tins of beer and bring them into the game. However, the prospect of earning thirty bob for a Saturday in Woolworths was more attractive than football. Thirty bob meant you could have a good few nights out and buy stuff. It was not sufficient to buy a vinyl LP though. It’s funny how that has all been turned on its head. Recorded music is freely available, but concert tickets, football tickets etc cost too much and aren’t always easy to get anyway.
Greaves was world-class and too good for the England team (let that sink in). If he'd have been South American they'd have built a team around him.

Paddy Maloney founder of The Chieftains aged 83.

Early numbered albums were very important in promoting Irish music.

‘Thoughts on Colin Powell’ are how did he end up with the strange pronunciation of his name.

Was it to jazz up a fairly humdrum first name?

An alternative to one of those made up black names beginning with De or La?

wonder how all the dead iraqi's he helped kill by lying to the united nations feel about his legacy???
Rightfully angry, but I don’t think he shied away from his responsibility and guilt in that fiasco.

Last edited:
British documentary maker Max Stahl, whose covert footage of the 1991 Santa Cruz massacre

I visited Dili, and the Santa Cruz cemetery, five years after that event (and stayed in the very run-down Hotel Dili while I was there).

Strong Indonesian military presence in Dili at the time - every day you'd see a truck, or trucks, of Indonesian soldiers driving through the town and there was a naval base on the eastern side of the bay/harbour with a couple of armed patrol boats moored there. I got in trouble for taking photos of the sunset over the bay, as a naval guard thought I might be photographing the patrol boats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom