42494C2A-7657-4CBB-B799-3103E115EC14.jpeg
115B10D4-2239-4A24-A123-D17FE3915BBD.jpeg
80813C65-0B97-403C-826B-4B91403FC66C.jpeg
5D390CE6-DF07-489E-A1C8-922DD094153C.jpeg
FF55E47B-E8C5-48C4-9D86-298FFB4572FB.jpeg
C9BC2A8A-DF4A-4B01-91B2-538F91F118E0.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm confused. what's happening?

So far its a survey of instagram posts i found amusing. If im allowed i will also post other subjects that are of interest to me, like a defense of hermes ties. And of course photos of vintage cloth finds. Maybe some recent or past outfits. My advice to you is lurk more Or ignore completely. Like minded gents are free to participate.

I dont see no copyright. Everything is stolen. Let me know and i will give you credit in the form of a link to your insta if you want .

Not much to see on there unfortunately. So which one of you is vintage thirst anyway.

So far its a survey of instagram posts i found amusing. If im allowed i will also post other subjects that are of interest to me, like a defense of hermes ties. And of course photos of vintage cloth finds. Maybe some recent or past outfits. My advice to you is lurk more Or ignore completely. Like minded gents are free to participate.

gotcha. much obliged.

In that case, I humbly submit you this, for consideration:

media

Hermes ties seem to generate a lot of hate and anxiety here and among the igents in general. I don't get it. Sure some of the whimsical patterns can be a bit annoying but the variety and choice of silk prints is enormous, the taste level extremely high and the quality some of the best in the world. I'm a very big fan of the ties, pocket squares, scarves, and leather accessories.

Hermes ties seem to generate a lot of hate and anxiety here and among the igents in general. I don't get it. Sure some of the whimsical patterns can be a bit annoying but the variety and choice of silk prints is enormous, the taste level extremely high and the quality some of the best in the world. I'm a very big fan of the ties, pocket squares, scarves, and leather accessories.

They are of course, the choice of the mainland European industrialist and CEO class, including the now retiring, Walter von känel of Longines:

KW_Longines8.jpg

They are of course, the choice of the mainland European industrialist and CEO class, including the now retiring, Walter von känel of Longines:

View attachment 34505

i love this type of look with an Hermes tie ( and think we should post more), but its not something i typically do. Think the range of ties, especially some of the slightly dated patterns suit my style better. Here are four examples (as a bonus, 3 of the examples also feature Hermes Gavaroche pocket squares) :

F88C0BF5-B6A5-43F6-BA1D-BB5958DBC684.jpeg
072BB194-C949-44B5-871C-6DBB432522CF.jpeg
6E513E7C-0E05-4522-93E9-CBA4E15D177F.jpeg
C8D6E7D5-6FCB-42E7-A460-5EE66B3C708B.jpeg

Last edited:
Im ok with a fruity tie but some of those colors are atrocious. Sage green should be permanently excluded from the acceptable tie color list.

Many of us mainland European industrialist and CEO class prefer the more sober Marinella ties, actually.

My personal fav for summer is a slubby silk tie.

For work, I like floral ties. I also occasionally wear my late fathers 70s ties, which are mix of geometric shapes and stripes.

Ties are one of the few areas where a man can throw a little caution to the wind, its very uselessness being a source of its beauty.

Many of us mainland European industrialist and CEO class prefer the more sober Marinella ties, actually.

i adore marinella ties. I think the message boards focus way too much on niche menswear brands or brands that advertise on the sites or are supplied by insta shops like normanwalksalone Or the armory. Some of those brands are ok like capelli and drakes (most are tasteless like shibumi or viola milano). But honestly their products are inferior in almost every way to hermes, charvet and marinella.

Last edited:
I actually like Drakes, I've bought several of their block stripes this year.

Used to love Duchamp, but they haven't produced anything that has caught my eye for a while.

Cravat Club also make some nice stuff.

There are loads of good tie makers, a good dresser should not restrict themselves to certain brands...

i adore marinella ties. I think the message boards focus way too much on niche menswear brands or brands that advertise on the sites or are supplied by insta shops like normanwalksalone Or the armory. Some of those brands are ok like capelli and drakes (most are tasteless like shibumi or viola milano). But honestly their products are inferior in almost every way to hermes, charvet and marinella.
Has marinella sort of gone out of fashion in favor of the niche brands or are they just not advertised as much so they dont get discussed? When i got started marinella was basically the gold standard along with drake's, before they had their issues.

Used to love Duchamp, but they haven't produced anything that has caught my eye for a while.

There are loads of good tie makers, a good dresser should not restrict themselves to certain brands...

i agree with this. I certainly don’t restrict my self in any way. i think drakes has some nice stuff sometimes, just dont find the ties quite as nice as some of the others, but i guess that is highly subjective.

i have plenty of ties far inferior to drakes. Some of my favorites are “designer” ties from the 70s and 80s : Gucci, pucci, ysl and yes vintage hermes. Love vintage Turnbull ties as well.
Duchamp ties and that whole look has always fascinated me and i definitely appreciate it but it is not for me

Last edited:
Has marinella sort of gone out of fashion in favor of the niche brands or are they just not advertised as much so they dont get discussed? When i got started marinella was basically the gold standard along with drake's, before they had their issues.

I doubt they have fallen out of favor. They are probably still universally appreciated on SF, but they just seem to get a lot less play in the places I lurk and troll than someone like Cappelli.

i agree with this. I certainly don’t restrict my self in any way. i think drakes has some nice stuff sometimes, just dont find the ties quite as nice as some of the others, but i guess that is highly subjective.

i have plenty of ties far inferior to drakes. Some of my favorites are “designer” ties from the 70s and 80s : Gucci, pucci, ysl and yes vintage hermes. Love vintage Turnbull ties as well.
Duchamp ties and that whole look has always fascinated me and i definitely appreciate it but it is not for

Duchamp are something of an acquired taste. They can be a bit much, even for me. I'm not a fan of their geometrics for example.

I find that they work best with a plain suit and shirt. If there's too much pattern around them the eye can't rest.

Would be very nice to see some of those duchamps. They are not ties for the faint hearted.

I thought the original designer of Duchamp left?

Any of you guys have your spring/summer bespoke plans put on hold because of the virus? I was going to see my tailor in March for my spring/summer wardrobe but the confinement/quarantine put an end to those plans. I even had selected some cloths. Strangely enough i guess green would have been my color for the season.

7FBBE07F-98D2-4E5D-9471-BCA09D3CB6F7.jpeg

Any of you guys have your spring/summer bespoke plans put on hold because of the virus? I was going to see my tailor in March for my spring/summer wardrobe but the confinement/quarantine put an end to those plans. I even had selected some cloths. Strangely enough i guess green would have been my color for the season.

View attachment 34596

I did put some on hold, but I think I'm getting ready to go with an order. My self control is waning. Pink wool/linen mix jacket and some cream linen trousers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom