George Orwell's Menswear Forum Nightmare (the pollution of the English language)

What is the worst perversion of SF communication?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chorn

Resident iGent
Supporter
SF likes terrible neologisms. I think it's probably just a forum thing. But I'm only familiar with SF stuff. Well, actually, this place has "tackys." But that's still fun.

Anyway, what is the worst?

The whole "fit" thing annoys me too. Shoos is tolerable.
Andyland nerds, in avoiding the obvious fruitiness of discussing outfits, say "rig" to refer to clothing. Lame.

Come on, this can be public.
Oh. Yeah. Move it.

Fit and Rig should be written in. Never seen it on SF. But I bet AAAC has some weird ones.

I use "fit" all the time. I don't want to bother writing "outfit"

Oh. Yeah. Move it.

Fit and Rig should be written in. Never seen it on SF. But I bet AAAC has some weird ones.

I use "fit" all the time. I don't want to bother writing "outfit"
Added. I also added in "noice" instead of nice. Something that Penisbear started that used to annoy me. Probably just because he's an asshole and I always associated it with him, but I still find it grating to this day.

This is a very good threak thread.

Ooh, that's a good one. Can we add that to the poll list?

Also, whilst I know that it's not unique to SF, how about "jawnz" for "jeans" (as in the now-notorious "Temple of Jawnz")?

Jawnz is also an old Philadelphia term for a "thing"; kind of a placeholder word. Not sure when it got Co-opted for jeans

That said, I dislike it immensely.

I hear "mang" a lot in the real world.

Give me a taco.
Sorry mang, sold out.

I've worked in a friend's taco truck. And he says mang. And it is not affected. He grew up surrounded by cholos. Then he somehow become a yuppie whose parents bought him a taco truck in college so that he could do something during summer breaks. Hmmm, the yuppie came after the taco truck. But yeah. I'm not exactly clear why he was so ghetto. He spent a lot of time on the southside of San Antonio though

Last edited:
I hear "mang" a lot in the real world.

Give me a taco.
Sorry mang, sold out.

I've worked in a friend's taco truck. And he says mang. And it is not affected. He grew up surrounded by cholos. Then he somehow become a yuppie whose parents bought him a taco truck in college so that he could do something during summer breaks.

mmm. cholas

I think my friend wanted to be Chingo Bling. Who is just ridiculous. In the best way possible. Went to a private boarding school. Then an expensive private university. And still managed to be ghetto as fuck. Affected though.

Last edited:
rig - is a sturdy common old word for clothing outfit - no problems
I rock things - its a good thing to do

I can't stand Kop and "pull the trigger"

Only just realised that "fit" as used on SF means outfit - not "how does it fit" - confused me no end.

I really cant stand people saying, and this isn't confined to forums or the Internet "I won this at an auction"

You didn't feckin' WIN it - you paid more money than anyone else was prepared to pay for the item - be it a house or a horse or shoes at an auction. BAH Theres no skill or luck involved.

Only just realised that "fit" as used on SF means outfit - not "how does it fit" - confused me no end.

I'm quite positive that 99.9% of the idiots use it as co-opting of 'how does it fit" and not outfit. Saying it's shortened version of outfit is a revisionist strategy to not look like such an ass.

I'm quite positive that 99.9% of the idiots use it as co-opting of 'how does it fit" and not outfit. Saying it's shortened version of outfit is a revisionist strategy to not look like such an ass.

I think you're both right. The word seems to have developed to mean 'look good and fit ok'.

I'm sure they mean outfit.
You look they say "this is my fit"

Surely I don't have to provide footnotes and examples?

Added. I also added in "noice" instead of nice. Something that Penisbear started that used to annoy me. Probably just because he's an asshole and I always associated it with him, but I still find it grating to this day.
Noice is a common Australian ism. It's a, slightly, exaggerated version of how we pronounce it.

mmm. cholas

So hot.

chola.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom