Glen Check & POW

Thruth

Big Winter Daddy
i dig glen check & POW fabrics. wondering about what you all think. can be subtle or in your face

has been a featured fabric in many Bond films

Skyfall-Glen-Urquhart-Suit-3.jpg
Fine-Glen-Plaid-Suit-3.jpg

Q-Suit-2.jpg

glen-plaid-3p-suit-formal-menswear-650x911.jpg

wddhv2ekerstdag20091.jpg

article-0-005773F400000258-270_634x489.jpg

pnWxH.jpg

article-1253520-086A2370000005DC-75_306x423.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

gene-look1-07.jpg

vintage%20mens%20mid-century%20anderson%20little%20wool%20tweed%20prince%20of%20wales%20check%2032%20sack%20jacket%20sport%20coat%20-f62148.jpg

2700a.jpg

du-157009-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan.

I've got several PoW check suits in grey (with a blue overcheck) in both single-breasted and double-breasted styles, blue (with a red overcheck) and brown (with a blue overcheck). I also used to have a grey PoW suit with a brick-red overcheck but I sadly outgrew it.

I've also got a two grey glen-plaid check suits (ie without an overcheck), one in a smaller-scale check and one in a larger-scale check, and a brown glen-plaid suit without an overcheck, too.

I'm looking forward to winter here because a few of the above suits are flannel, including a three-piece, and so they don't get much wear during the summer.

I like the grey (or black and white) with a blue overcheck/line. Its about the only thing - other than a mid grey herringbone or flannel suit - that I dream about. (well except for a tan cord 3 piece)
I only have one suit with PoW/Glen - its a worsted flannel Corneliani with a bit of nap, very wet/buttery hand, and with a brown tinge and a pink/subtle red rail line double thick ish lines over check.

I like the way they look, but they don't suit me all that well. I just have the suit I posted in the other thread and the Poole house check coat.

I just realized that the muted pattern on my old London Fog overcoat is probably this pattern.
The subtle ones that blend out to nearly solid at a distance have always caught my eye. Were I to have many suits, this would be a healthy variation. I like the larger and louder, but I doubt they'd work for me.

I frequently see shirts of this pattern and am always tempted but am never quite swayed.
sc227blp_17.jpg

Glen plaid/PoW has the added, very real benefit of being very good at hiding marks and stains - great for a slob like me who doesn't ponce around in his clothes on the Pitti wall, but actually wears them while living a busy, untacky, Crusader life.

I do like the subtle plaids too where you have to be up close to see it but I would not say "no" to other bolder ones with a coloured over check.

Flannel would be nice as well as tweed.

I'm a big fan.

I'm looking forward to winter here because a few of the above suits are flannel, including a three-piece, and so they don't get much wear during the summer.

I've always thought the pattern was more suitable for heavier, or at least corser, year-round woollen fabrics, rather than, say, cotton or mohair or lightweight blends. That's probably right seeing as the pattern apparently started out as a uniform for Scottish groundskeepers.

It looks good in heavier or more substantial flannel and tweed fabrics but I think it also looks good in lighter/refined worsteds

some comparisons of various fabrics/weights.

Fox 18 0z. London Lounge woolen flannel
2_887_e.jpg

fox woolen flannel 13/14 oz.
2_1407_e.jpg

Fox 16/17 oz.
2_1414_e.jpg

J&J Minis 11 oz. worsteds 370g
0728.jpg

0729.jpg

0731.jpg

0771.jpg

Minnis 7 oz. super 150s 240g
2527.jpg

2567.jpg

Minis Worsted Flannel 13 oz. 430g
0323.jpg

Scabal
watermark.php

Scabal super 200s 240g
watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

LL POW Tweed
20140625-230952-83392214.jpg

Glen plaid/PoW has the added, very real benefit of being very good at hiding marks and stains - great for a slob like me who doesn't ponce around in his clothes on the Pitti wall, but actually wears them while living a busy, untacky, Crusader life.
I'd say you are more on the tacky profaner side than the Jesuit side

rambo - I think part of the sarto language skills is the ability to invent new words.

This is highlighting the beauty of the lighter blue undercheck, or whatever it is called. I think it works better with cold gray than warmer browns myself. Don needs darker shoes with that btw.
...ability to invent new words.
A gifted neologist indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom