Gloves

Russell Street

King Of The Trolls
Supporter
I get a feeling I'll need another pair of gloves by the end of winter. Currently I've got this pair of double-layer alpaca knit gloves that are cozy and warm. They aren't great for driving, as the grip is poor. Same with futzing with keys and the like.

AFAIK, the igent-approved option is Chester Jeffries handstitched thing in some ludicrously light colored lambskin or something. I really don't see the appeal. A few years back I had a pair of unlined deerskin gloves that were not the warmest things round, but they cut the wind a bit and offered great dexterity. Lined gloves have never impressed me. They just are not durable. After a week or so, the lining pills and balls and wears. There are fleece lined gloves now. I don't know if they are any good?

So, what do you wear and/or recommend?

Full fingered and I don't care about touchscreens. For me, this is stuff to wear while walking out to the car and to prevent touching an icy steering wheel.
I know this is an alien concept for you, but I'll put on crazy ski gloves for brushing snow and stuff...

All gloves are an alien concept to me. I've literally only ever worn them for 7 days out of my entire life.

I currently have 5 pairs of gloves that I rotate. Black leather with cashmere lining, brown leather with cashmere lining, north face fleece, shearling lined suede, and fingerless AA wool.

The fingerless aren't that warm if it's really cold outside like the weather I am in right now.

I used fingerless leather wool lined John Varvatos gloves last year which work well functionally for using keys and dashboard controls, no pilling on mine either though some of the finger edges frayed. I've decided against fingerless now, mostly for style reasons just looks weird, but also when it's cold enough to need gloves the fingers feel even colder next to the warm hand.

I mostly have Peccary gloves with cashmere lining.
Can recommend.

you know, Nordstrom Rack, NM Last Chance always have house brand leather/cashmere lined gloves at pretty reasonable prices. These are sheepskin with cashmere lining, made in China, oh well. Can't remember what I paid but pretty reasonable. Compares favourably to similar Hestra dress gloves I have. Have had these for 4 years and they hold up rather well. Forgive the hay.

IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG

Do none of you live somewhere seriously cold? Around me it gets to -50 in the winter and I like to keep my fingers, so I use Alti-Mitts. Not very fashionable but quite warm!

Yup. -40 often + wind. Still use my sexy dress gloves for playing dress up. Otherwise Outdoor Research Firebrand Mitts & Gloves with Dachstein wool liners instead of the synthetic shite

If I were serious, I would get a presentable pair of lined leather gloves and some crummy pair of knit gloves with a leather palm. I'm not really familiar with the latter, so that might be a dumb idea.
I seriously think I have a few frostbitten fingertips that numb out too quickly, so this fingerless stuff is out of the question.

If I were serious, I would get a presentable pair of lined leather gloves and some crummy pair of knit gloves with a leather palm. I'm not really familiar with the latter, so that might be a dumb idea.
I seriously think I have a few frostbitten fingertips that numb out too quickly, so this fingerless stuff is out of the question.

Another knit option is possum fur gloves. Actually a blend of merino, possum fur and polypropylene. Not bulky and really warm. Thermadry is the brand I've used but there are many others. Can find'em on EBay and Etsy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom