Guitars and Gear (and other lesser instruments)

Dropbear

Gives Off Rather Strong Cop Vibes
I know we have a few other strummers and pickers here, let’s talk about our equipment!

I’ve mostly been playing acoustic guitars (or a hollow body Telecaster clone) but I’m going to pick up a cheap Squire Jazzmaster for fun. I want to try running it through my phone using iRig and Amplitude to mimic some classic postpunk sounds on the cheap.

Coincidentally, the iRig was on an Amazon Lightning deal yesterday, I so snapped that up. I plan to plug the guitar into the iRig, which will plug to my phone acting as a studio and then to either earbuds or a little Bluetooth speaker. It should be quiet enough not to disturb the neighbors while still letting me pile on some effects to add a bit of fun to my strumming.

I missed out on a very cheap used Affinity Jazzmaster because I was dumb. I’ll hold out for another or maybe try these Harley Benton’s coming in from Germany cheap.

Coincidentally, the iRig was on an Amazon Lightning deal yesterday, I so snapped that up. I plan to plug the guitar into the iRig, which will plug to my phone acting as a studio and then to either earbuds or a little Bluetooth speaker. It should be quiet enough not to disturb the neighbors while still letting me pile on some effects to add a bit of fun to my strumming.

I missed out on a very cheap used Affinity Jazzmaster because I was dumb. I’ll hold out for another or maybe try these Harley Benton’s coming in from Germany cheap.

HB are crap. Write a couple of ebay searches and stay with local vintage that you can go and try. Best bang for the buck

HB are crap. Write a couple of ebay searches and stay with local vintage that you can go and try. Best bang for the buck
I’m a crap player, so the instrument doesn’t have to be to good 😁

I subscribe to the “mediocre musicians with awesome gear” philosophy. Boys with toys
I’ve owned some rare and beautiful guitars in my life - always with the hope that they could make up for my lack of talent. Vox Starstreamer, a Shergold and a Burns Split Sonic.

My favorite to play was a no-name Telecaster copy with a hollow body (but no f hole) in aqua blue-green.

I’ve owned some rare and beautiful guitars in my life - always with the hope that they could make up for my lack of talent. Vox Starstreamer, a Shergold and a Burns Split Sonic.

My favorite to play was a no-name Telecaster copy with a hollow body (but no f hole) in aqua blue-green.

Hello, my name is belinmad and I’m a gear addict…
1640792214203.jpeg

I've been kicking around the idea of getting my son a kids guitar and small amp. He is super musically inclined, more that I ever was. I got my first guitar about his age, so I think it's about time.

I can tell you though, I'm like Unfrozen Caveman lawyer when I look at new amps though. I'm such a dinosaur. It's amazing what these things can do.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting my son a kids guitar and small amp. He is super musically inclined, more that I ever was. I got my first guitar about his age, so I think it's about time.
I have many fond memories of mediocre jamming with my dad to the Stones.

My kids are really serious about the piano, or I’d encourage them to try guitar.
I can tell you though, I'm like Unfrozen Caveman lawyer when I look at new amps though. I'm such a dinosaur. It's amazing what these things can do.
Old people play with amps. Kids run their guitar straight to the PC or iPad for digital mixing and effects.

One of these days you will evolve out of the primordial stew and graduate from the bass to the guitar.
I’ve never had any interest in playing bass, but man I love the sounds of those postpunk-era thumping bass lines that dominated. Peter Hook nearly made the instrument cool. Well, at least cooler than the drums, lol!

Last edited:
I did, and came back. Everyone plays guitar, but chicks dig bass players 🤣
Olo.

My dad was actually a bass player. I may have mentioned it before but he was a touring musician when I was born.

He's got a 1962 J Bass you would totally dig.

When my dad was in junior high school he bought a 12 string acoustic guitar from the newspaper classifides. The seller, Al Jardin, went on to some fame with the Beach Boys.

So in the background I spy an Acoustic amp, my old man went on a vintage Acoustic restoration bender for a few years. Involved all sorts of obscure fora, mailing lists and picking up pieces in random localities.
Yup. Jaco famously played Acoustic

Also, unpopular opinion but I find Jaco to be talented but not very good. James Jamerson is the GOAT bass player.

I’m going to cruise through a couple of the big used guitar shops tomorrow to strum and browse.

Something weird might catch my eye, but I’m really looking for a Squire Jag/Jazz/Tele or maybe an Epiphone LP (which has a sound I like, but I still dislike because in the 80s/90s LPs were so closely associated with MTV metal bands).

(which has a sound I like, but I still dislike because in the 80s/90s LPs were so closely associated with MTV metal bands

Uh Wut.

jimmy-butler.gif

Well, firstly Slash is my hero, so fuck right off. I have the Slash Marshall reissue, a Silver Jubilee Marshall JCM800 which the Slash amp is a copy of, play Ernie Ball slinky 8 RPs and pick with Dunlop Tortex 1.14s. And own a full band autographed copy of Appetite for Destruction in first press vinyl.

But to your point, Guns N Roses is pretty damn far from a metal band. Really far from even from a glam metal band. You are looking at Jacksons and shit for that. Which are rad too btw. GnR are punk flavored hard rock band.

12295372_794482387351422_5838157578656936713_n.jpg

I would posit if you don't think Jimmy Page right off the top when you think Les Paul, you should be required to listen to nothing but Led Zeppelin for the next 3 years in permanent loop.

g215142_u61171_Untitled.jpg

I would posit if you don't think Jimmy Page right off the top when you think Les Paul, you should be required to listen to nothing but Led Zeppelin for the next 3 years in permanent loop.

g215142_u61171_Untitled.jpg

I’d rather die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom