Guitars and Gear (and other lesser instruments)

I think I’ve finally outgrown (*) my old Epiphone Les Paul, but. It sure what to move up to. I’ve always had a soft spot for Rickenbackers (6 and 12 strings) but for a do-everything hobby guitar I’m interested in trying out the Jaguar from the Player line or maybe just move up to an ESP LP with a smooth action and better pick-ups.

* not that my playing is that good, the electronics on the Epi are pretty average

Anyone have recent experience with the Gretsch Rickenbacker style 12 strings? Not sure where they are being made these days, but they used to be a good brand.

Same question for the Mexican Player line of Fenders - though I’ve seen a few of those and been impressed.

BE3D44C0-CD85-4A72-B846-2A5F6736FAD4.jpeg

I got a little Fender amp but now I’m really aware of how bad the electrics on this Epiphone are. I like the way it feels, so I’ll hang on to it, but I doubt it’s worth spending money to fix. I’ve tightened up the Jack socket but I’m not messing with anything deeper.

Anyway, that’s my excuse to get a cheap Jag or Jazz!

If you can use a soldering iron, you can fix the (passive) circuit on any guitar or bass. Plenty of how-tos on the web. It’s fun.

Anyone have recent experience with the Gretsch Rickenbacker style 12 strings? Not sure where they are being made these days, but they used to be a good brand.

Same question for the Mexican Player line of Fenders - though I’ve seen a few of those and been impressed.
The Mexican Fenders get great reviews. I had one of the earliest Mexican Strats back in the 90s, and it may have been the worst guitar I ever touched, but apparently they have become damn near on par with the USA guitars.

The only word of caution I'll give about the Ric 12 string is its a super specific sound. It will only be that one thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom