Harrington Jackets

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Never liked them, despite the Elvis and McQueen connection, they were always the choice of the skinhead bovver boy skinheads where I was from. I prefer the longer version as well, G9 or whatever it is. But I am sure with time they could be redeemed!

The John Simons version was better priced too.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Dropbear Dropbear could field this one. anyone in touch with him? did he get washed away in the floods?
Well hi! No, didn't get washed away - just made some serious overtime doing emergency management stuff.

I have not seen the new Guccified Baricuda, so can't comment.

My recommendations remain:

Brutus for authenticity and lighter weight:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/brutus-harrington-jacket-navy.html

Merc for something a little more rugged:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/merc-harrington-jacket-tan.html

Yes they have shitty hipster models, but that is still a good place to buy from in the US. They did a one day 25% off sale last week and will probably do another soon.

I'm thinking that, for better or worse, he has joined the Kurdish resistance in Syria. He would look cool with a Harrington jacket kicking some ISIS ass, that's for sure.
I have a few friends in Raqqa right now, but I am far too old for doing that again. Many many years ago I posted a pic on SF of a Brit private military contractor in Iraq wearing a Harrington. The guy was probably a Nation Frontprick, but it was still a cool photo. Can't find it on a quick google search though.

viaattovannucci

No Custom Title
Ratings
Well hi! No, didn't get washed away - just made some serious overtime doing emergency management stuff.

I have not seen the new Guccified Baricuda, so can't comment.

My recommendations remain:

Brutus for authenticity and lighter weight:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/brutus-harrington-jacket-navy.html

Merc for something a little more rugged:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/merc-harrington-jacket-tan.html

Yes they have shitty hipster models, but that is still a good place to buy from in the US. They did a one day 25% off sale last week and will probably do another soon.

I have a few friends in Raqqa right now, but I am far too old for doing that again. Many many years ago I posted a pic on SF of a Brit private military contractor in Iraq wearing a Harrington. The guy was probably a Nation Frontprick, but it was still a cool photo. Can't find it on a quick google search though.
Welcome back! I've missed you man!

Thanks for the recommendations. So would you say that I should get M or L with the Brutus? I think I was ultimately going to go with the 42 in what you have aptly called the "new Guccified Baracuta."

Let me know if you happen to somehow dig up that picture again!

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Welcome back! I've missed you man!
Awww. Thanks. <3

Thanks for the recommendations. So would you say that I should get M or L with the Brutus? I think I was ultimately going to go with the 42 in what you have aptly called the "new Guccified Baracuta."
Definitely not M. I think L will work for you, though if you are wearing a thick jumper underneath you may even find XL better. It was many years ago, but I think Sourpuss split the shipping cost on a size change for me once.

Final thought: I think some brands so different colours better. It I wanted red, I'd opt for Ben Sherman (the normal red tartan clashes with the jacket colour to me), for beige I like the slightly darker tone of the Merc. Blue or black then Brutus is very traditional with all the right features.

I bought a Jump the Gun and was disappointed with it, but it looks like they are making them a little better now. Sizing might still be off though - the trade-off was too short versus too blousy.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Ratings
Dropbear Dropbear : So according to what do these sour pussies actually decide on giving the 25% off? Is the promo really like every other week, or is it seasonal?
Try the code FALLFLASH
It actually expired on 2 October.
If that doesn't work, I'd give them a call and ask if they'd extend the sale for you because [insert excuse]

viaattovannucci

No Custom Title
Ratings
I went to Brentwood/Santa Monica today to check out the (relatively) new Sid Mashburn outpost there in the Country Mart. Verri nice little store they've got going on there with amazing (and amazingly overpriced) stock and friendly salesmen. A fascinating blend of classic style with some neo-iGent influences sprinkled all over the place.

That being said, I was extremely intrigued by their original execution of the Harrington jacket. It is a highly singular take on the basic idea of contrast between the solid-color shell and the plaid lining, which inverts it. The outer shell, in this case, is made-up of Harris tweed in an attractive glen plaid with solid navy lining (some blend of polyester and cotton, if I recall correctly). The leather details, including a fancy extra inside pocket, give it a positively rakish vibe. All the historical details (the raglan sleeves, the slanted, buttoned-flap side pockets), the back apron, the buttoned collar, the ribbed trim on the collar, cuffs, and the hem) are there, and all of it makes it feel just right. It is finished with a two-way zipper and made in the US of A.

The only problem I have with it is the price tag: $675.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 21.33.24.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 21.33.38.png

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/out...-camel-wine-glen-plaid-harrington-jacket.html

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I went to Brentwood/Santa Monica today to check out the (relatively) new Sid Mashburn outpost there in the Country Mart. Verri nice little store they've got going on there with amazing (and amazingly overpriced) stock and friendly salesmen. A fascinating blend of classic style with some neo-iGent influences sprinkled all over the place.

That being said, I was extremely intrigued by their original execution of the Harrington jacket. It is a highly singular take on the basic idea of contrast between the solid-color shell and the plaid lining, which inverts it. The outer shell, in this case, is made-up of Harris tweed in an attractive glen plaid with solid navy lining (some blend of polyester and cotton, if I recall correctly). The leather details, including a fancy extra inside pocket, give it a positively rakish vibe. All the historical details (the raglan sleeves, the slanted, buttoned-flap side pockets), the back apron, the buttoned collar, the ribbed trim on the collar, cuffs, and the hem) are there, and all of it makes it feel just right. It is finished with a two-way zipper and made in the US of A.

The only problem I have with it is the price tag: $675.

View attachment 26832 View attachment 26833

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/out...-camel-wine-glen-plaid-harrington-jacket.html
That's bordering on Chav Burberry:

dblanchfield006315027665.jpg

Top Bottom