Harrington Jackets

Dropbear

Gives Off Rather Strong Cop Vibes
I own or have owned Harries from (early model) JtG, Barracuda, Ben Sherman and Merc.

Looking/experience on/with these:

https://www.jumpthegun.co.uk/product/Harrington_Beige_Raglan

http://www.endclothing.com/brands/fred-perry/fred-perry-harrington-jacket-74923.html

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=73EH

Time to add a beige to my collection, though I don't want to look like GHWB on the golf course.

Not sure if the FP is significantly better and worth the price. JtG sounds great, but I didn't love the earlier version of their Harry I once owned. Orvis looks good, though some people say the fabric is shiny and the cut is crazy loose. Ben Sherman and Merc do a good product, though the color is very pale. Then there are the cheapies like Warrior. The new Barricuda looks nice, but too pricey!

I had a FP waxed model in dark green a few years ago that I got on sale. Ended up selling it. But as far as I can remember, the made in England version was very well made.

Thanks Rambo. Looks nice. Less 'authentic' without the tartan lining, but sometimes a bit of variety is good. I had a Merc harrington in their 'wine' colour and it never really looked right with the red tartan lining. Also limits the shirts you can wear under it.

I've ordered a Lambretta beige harrington that should be here soon. May get a red JtG or look further into that Victorinox, next. Three harringtons is a little excessive, I know. But damn it I just love 'em. If I watch Rebel Without a Cause again this summer I'll probably order pone in red.

Also, btw, Gilt had black Fred Perry harringtons today.

Thanks Rambo. Looks nice. Less 'authentic' without the tartan lining, but sometimes a bit of variety is good. I had a Merc harrington in their 'wine' colour and it never really looked right with the red tartan lining. Also limits the shirts you can wear under it.

I've ordered a Lambretta beige harrington that should be here soon. May get a red JtG or look further into that Victorinox, next. Three harringtons is a little excessive, I know. But damn it I just love 'em. If I watch Rebel Without a Cause again this summer I'll probably order pone in red.

Also, btw, Gilt had black Fred Perry harringtons today.

Well the one reason I liked it was the mesh lining and the mesh underarm zips for ventilation. Like a summer alternative. Obviously, its not going to have that authentic look on the inside. But it might work for when its hot and you need a jacket.

Super?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 564
I'm actually planning to write a little piece for the site, reviewing half a dozen sub $100 harrington options. Just need time and motivational alcohol.

I currently own four, but am selling one.

I'm actually planning to write a little piece for the site, reviewing half a dozen sub $100 harrington options. Just need time and motivational alcohol.

I currently own four, but am selling one.

Color me intrigued. Any of the Barbour's stand out?

I guess I am a bit of a purist on trad details when it comes to these. The Barbours seem like good jackets with a harrington influence.

I am cool with a non-red tartan lining in red coloured jackets, I'm not so hung-up on the correct three-point yoke on the back and I think you can get away with set-in sleeves if it is in a dark colour like navy or black. But that's just my little eccentricities.

Silly side note: check-out Baracuta's new 'history' copy, with an illustration taken straight from Jason from Thick as Thieves. The photo was posted on the old site - when he was plugging the Jump the Gun jacket!

http://www.baracuta.com/history.html

Silicon waterproofing in the garage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 496
What are you using?

Just a silicon fabric waterproofing spray I picked-up at Cabela's. I've used it before and it helps in light showers while still breathing. In heavy rain it's not a big help though.

FP i like them and im familiar with the brand, 35 polos, some pants, some shoes, and also sweatera and it lasts forever. I just didnt want to buy one because to be a first buy i thought was too much. I will look inot the other stuff.

I'd look for a Ben Sherman, as long as you don't mind the lining check (not the trad red tartan-like check pattern) or Merc (nice weight and well constructed) as long as you don't mind that it doesn't have raglan sleeves. JtG quality has also improved markedly since my earlier experiences with them. What colour were you thinking of?

Lol.

I personally can only do the British Tan or Navy. I love my Baracuta in transitional seasons.

Beige and navy are the classic colours for Harringtons. Both solid choices, IMO.

In navy, you can't really beat Merc for the price. In lighter colours the non-raglan sleeves on the Merc irritate me, but in navy it seems less noticeable.

I have probably owned a dozen different Harrington jackets by now - at least half a dozen brands and as many colours. The blue Merc is still my most often, followed by beige JtG with jeans.

Keep an eye here around Labor Day for a 20-30% sale: MERC HARRINGTON JACKET NAVY - Jackets - Guys

Just saw those. Bad choice on using chambray instead of tartan
How much asre they?

Why go to all the trouble of being pretty close to traditional and then not do tartan? - if they want to be "edgy" why not do say a black watch lining? Chambray is just weird.

And. The collar looks wrong - its should be the same material as the bands on sleeve and bottom. For comfort as much as anything.

How much asre they?

Why go to all the trouble of being pretty close to traditional and then not do tartan? - if they want to be "edgy" why not do say a black watch lining? Chambray is just weird.

And. The collar looks wrong - its should be the same material as the bands on sleeve and bottom. For comfort as much as anything.

$119 USD. Does the use of cotton canvas also queer the deal? Aren't they typically a non-canvas cotton?

Top Harrington
IMG_5909.JPG

Price is about right. And although they are usually (almost) showerproof cotton - I think a cotton canvas could work - although I do think the smoother surface of the "traditional" 'arrington works better with jeans. As I think dropbear says - as desirable as the red tartan lining is it does restrict the shirts you can wear. I mainly wear my beige one with jeans and it does stop you from wearing a red flannel/tartan short - which in most other contexts is an ideal pair with jeans. Thats why a black watch lining is good - stays with the theme but allows for a red shirt.

I purchased one that was a 'new' Baracuta. I guess at the time I had believed it would be similar to the 'original', but there were some slight differences.

The 'new' version has the brand tag on the seam of one of the front pockets and the bottom portion of the zipper can be moved as well. The 'new' regular fit was slightly baggier than the original, and the 'new' slim fit was trimmer than the original. I think both may have been longer than the original as well, but I can't recall exactly.

There also appeared to be both Made in England and Made in Asia (maybe it was Thailand? I can't remember) versions for the 'new' ones. I only recall Made in England for the original.

Is it really the case that the modern Baracuta G9 Harringtons run small? I.e. do I need to size up to 42, if I'm usually wearing 50 IT/40 for much of everything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom