Harrington Jackets

Never liked them, despite the Elvis and McQueen connection, they were always the choice of the skinhead bovver boy skinheads where I was from. I prefer the longer version as well, G9 or whatever it is. But I am sure with time they could be redeemed!

The John Simons version was better priced too.

Dropbear Dropbear could field this one. anyone in touch with him? did he get washed away in the floods?

Well hi! No, didn't get washed away - just made some serious overtime doing emergency management stuff.

I have not seen the new Guccified Baricuda, so can't comment.

My recommendations remain:

Brutus for authenticity and lighter weight:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/brutus-harrington-jacket-navy.html

Merc for something a little more rugged:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/merc-harrington-jacket-tan.html

Yes they have shitty hipster models, but that is still a good place to buy from in the US. They did a one day 25% off sale last week and will probably do another soon.

I'm thinking that, for better or worse, he has joined the Kurdish resistance in Syria. He would look cool with a Harrington jacket kicking some ISIS ass, that's for sure.

I have a few friends in Raqqa right now, but I am far too old for doing that again. Many many years ago I posted a pic on SF of a Brit private military contractor in Iraq wearing a Harrington. The guy was probably a Nation Frontprick, but it was still a cool photo. Can't find it on a quick google search though.

Well hi! No, didn't get washed away - just made some serious overtime doing emergency management stuff.

I have not seen the new Guccified Baricuda, so can't comment.

My recommendations remain:

Brutus for authenticity and lighter weight:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/brutus-harrington-jacket-navy.html

Merc for something a little more rugged:
https://www.sourpussclothing.com/merc-harrington-jacket-tan.html

Yes they have shitty hipster models, but that is still a good place to buy from in the US. They did a one day 25% off sale last week and will probably do another soon.

I have a few friends in Raqqa right now, but I am far too old for doing that again. Many many years ago I posted a pic on SF of a Brit private military contractor in Iraq wearing a Harrington. The guy was probably a Nation Frontprick, but it was still a cool photo. Can't find it on a quick google search though.
Welcome back! I've missed you man!

Thanks for the recommendations. So would you say that I should get M or L with the Brutus? I think I was ultimately going to go with the 42 in what you have aptly called the "new Guccified Baracuta."

Let me know if you happen to somehow dig up that picture again!

Welcome back! I've missed you man!

Awww. Thanks. <3

Thanks for the recommendations. So would you say that I should get M or L with the Brutus? I think I was ultimately going to go with the 42 in what you have aptly called the "new Guccified Baracuta."

Definitely not M. I think L will work for you, though if you are wearing a thick jumper underneath you may even find XL better. It was many years ago, but I think Sourpuss split the shipping cost on a size change for me once.

Final thought: I think some brands so different colours better. It I wanted red, I'd opt for Ben Sherman (the normal red tartan clashes with the jacket colour to me), for beige I like the slightly darker tone of the Merc. Blue or black then Brutus is very traditional with all the right features.

I bought a Jump the Gun and was disappointed with it, but it looks like they are making them a little better now. Sizing might still be off though - the trade-off was too short versus too blousy.

Dropbear Dropbear : So according to what do these sour pussies actually decide on giving the 25% off? Is the promo really like every other week, or is it seasonal?

Dropbear Dropbear : So according to what do these sour pussies actually decide on giving the 25% off? Is the promo really like every other week, or is it seasonal?

Try the code FALLFLASH
It actually expired on 2 October.
If that doesn't work, I'd give them a call and ask if they'd extend the sale for you because [insert excuse]

23244164_10156010087655039_4694096988092507447_n.jpg

I went to Brentwood/Santa Monica today to check out the (relatively) new Sid Mashburn outpost there in the Country Mart. Verri nice little store they've got going on there with amazing (and amazingly overpriced) stock and friendly salesmen. A fascinating blend of classic style with some neo-iGent influences sprinkled all over the place.

That being said, I was extremely intrigued by their original execution of the Harrington jacket. It is a highly singular take on the basic idea of contrast between the solid-color shell and the plaid lining, which inverts it. The outer shell, in this case, is made-up of Harris tweed in an attractive glen plaid with solid navy lining (some blend of polyester and cotton, if I recall correctly). The leather details, including a fancy extra inside pocket, give it a positively rakish vibe. All the historical details (the raglan sleeves, the slanted, buttoned-flap side pockets), the back apron, the buttoned collar, the ribbed trim on the collar, cuffs, and the hem) are there, and all of it makes it feel just right. It is finished with a two-way zipper and made in the US of A.

The only problem I have with it is the price tag: $675.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 21.33.24.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 21.33.38.png

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/out...-camel-wine-glen-plaid-harrington-jacket.html

I went to Brentwood/Santa Monica today to check out the (relatively) new Sid Mashburn outpost there in the Country Mart. Verri nice little store they've got going on there with amazing (and amazingly overpriced) stock and friendly salesmen. A fascinating blend of classic style with some neo-iGent influences sprinkled all over the place.

That being said, I was extremely intrigued by their original execution of the Harrington jacket. It is a highly singular take on the basic idea of contrast between the solid-color shell and the plaid lining, which inverts it. The outer shell, in this case, is made-up of Harris tweed in an attractive glen plaid with solid navy lining (some blend of polyester and cotton, if I recall correctly). The leather details, including a fancy extra inside pocket, give it a positively rakish vibe. All the historical details (the raglan sleeves, the slanted, buttoned-flap side pockets), the back apron, the buttoned collar, the ribbed trim on the collar, cuffs, and the hem) are there, and all of it makes it feel just right. It is finished with a two-way zipper and made in the US of A.

The only problem I have with it is the price tag: $675.

View attachment 26832View attachment 26833

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/out...-camel-wine-glen-plaid-harrington-jacket.html

That's bordering on Chav Burberry:

dblanchfield006315027665.jpg

I’ve read great things about this new entry to the market:

Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith you might be interested in some of their shirting, as well.

That said, I think I’ve been wearing Harrington’s for 25 years as my go-to light jacket. Yet I got rid of my last one a few months ago - a young guy in a beige harry can pull-off the whole edgy James Dean/ Mod thing, but a middle aged bloke just looks like he’s off for a round of golf in the suburbs.

Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith you might be interested in some of their shirting, as well.

That said, I think I’ve been wearing Harrington’s for 25 years as my go-to light jacket. Yet I got rid of my last one a few months ago - a young guy in a beige harry can pull-off the whole edgy James Dean/ Mod thing, but a middle aged bloke just looks like he’s off for a round of golf in the suburbs.
Wait until you are an old age pensioner if you think you’ve got problems with beige.

Not that there’s anything wrong with a round of golf in the suburbs. I’d love to be able to do that.

I do like Madras/Tartan style shirts and I'm the market for something like I posted the other day.

Wait until you are an old age pensioner if you think you’ve got problems with beige.

Not that there’s anything wrong with a round of golf in the suburbs. I’d love to be able to do that.

The OAP in beige/grey windcheater is never a good look. Where did in come from and when will it go away? The best look for ageing men is the English raffish aristocrat/Peter O'Toole look.

Harrington jackets have been maligned since the late 1980s. Bit of a shame. Beige screams OAP. But the original standard colour - navy blue - looks fine well into middle age. And they really are very comfortable in mild weather.

I was all in on Harrington jackets for a few decades there and now I look at pics like this and just facepalm.

I was all in on Harrington jackets for a few decades there and now I look at pics like this and just facepalm.

I don't mind the look at all tbh. In that scenario is it the twattishness of the wearer rather than the harrington to blame here?

I have a harrington in navy linen herringbone which is fine for transitional weather but tbh I seldom wear it. Then again, I seldom wear light casual jackets these days and I have about a dozen of those.

I don't mind the look at all tbh. In that scenario is it the twattishness of the wearer rather than the harrington to blame here?

I have a harrington in navy linen herringbone which is fine for transitional weather but tbh I seldom wear it. Then again, I seldom wear light casual jackets these days and I have about a dozen of those.

I am definitely not anti, but when I look back at pics of myself in various Harrington’s there are only a few that I’m ok with. Darker colors (navy and green) are definitely better. When I got rid of my last sand colored Merc last year, I thought the color was bad on an older guy with greying hair, but the pic above shows it’s also bad on a younger guy with a darker complexion.

I have two Harringtons, an inexpensive one from Lambretta and a mid range version from Grenfell. There is a model from London Trench that is quite garish. I saw another brand recently but can't recall the brand name.

JtG make the best value harry. Merc would be my second choice for having a slightly heavier outer fabric and stiffer collar for ‘popping’, but misses a few authentic details.

In the late 60s, when Harringtons were taken up by youth culture, British men still mostly wore tailored jackets all the time.

Now that is no longer true. All sorts of zippered clothing is the standard choice for casual clothing.

Hence a Harrington may now seem commonplace.

Last edited:
In the late 60s, when Harrington’s were taken up by youth culture, British men still mostly wore tailored jackets all the time.

Now that is no longer true. All sorts of zippered clothing is the standard choice for casual clothing.

Hence a Harrington may now seem commonplace.

I would say probably in the UK this is somewhat true, but in the US this style jacket has been standard since the late 40s. Made by all sorts of companies like MacGregor here.

I would say probably in the UK this is somewhat true, but in the US this style jacket has been standard since the late 40s. Made by all sorts of companies like MacGregor here.
I watched a bit of Rebel Without a Cause with my oldest kid a few months ago. I was trying to explain to him just how ‘deviant’ the kids were at the time, wearing jeans, boots, t-shirts and zippered jackets.

The jacket was common, but something you wore on the golf course or to the pool, not to school I’m the 1940s. By the end of the 1950s, it was pretty common for teenagers to wear in all settings.

As an aside, it’s also funny to see leather jacket ads from the 1930s and 40s before it was adopted by youth culture and Brando added an element of rebellion and danger.

This seems good value, my Ventile Private VC Harry just arrived. I gifted my Grenfell peached non Grenfell cloth Harry as my Father hinted he wanted it after I said it was redundant. My Lambretta is looking worse for wear and could be in British Heart foundation charity shop before you know it...

IMG_20201016_193317.jpg

It's 100% cotton outer which is a pre requisite. I am waiting for a Grenfell sale for a Grenfell cloth Harry, but that could be forever

2098FC9A-2861-4BE4-9C2B-84A617D1C16C.jpeg

Damn, they are not known for striving for ‘correct’ details but they nailed this one. All details are right, though the quality of the material is still unknown. Only thing I could fault in the pics is the double flimsy zipper - a single, sturdy zip would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom