Hats

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Didn't you ever wear a giggle hat/bush hat when you were running about the bush with an SLR?
Indeed. The super short brim of the bush hat doesn’t really block vision like a KFF slouchie. It’s just irritating enough for someone not used to wearing hats that after a few minutes I find my hand creeping up to remove it at first opportunity.

I was thinking about it some more last night as I read about Panama hats and why some are so bloody expensive. Any time I’m just standing around in the sun, it’s likely to be a weekend and I’ll be in a T-shirt or polo and shorts (like taking the kids to the pool). But the hats I see looking good are usually worn with a suit or sports coat.

I’ll probably buy one this summer anyway. Then it will gather dust on a hook by the door because I’ll forget to bring it for the outings it would actually be useful.

Journeyman

Supporter
I've got a Panama hat which cost a fair amount. I keep it on a hat rack at work and wear it in spring-summer when I'm walking around outside the office.

Around home, or when we go to the beach, park and so on, I have a woven paper hat that I got in Japan some years ago. It look similar to a Panama hat, but is a coarser, slightly looser weave. It's also crushproof, so you can sit on it or just throw it in the back of the car and it will recover without any problems. Mine was cheap, but I've seen absolutely ridiculously expensive versions from places like NMWA, so it certainly pays to look around.

My woven paper hat looks similar to this and cost slightly less: https://www.gazman.com.au/accessories-headwear-paper-braid-safari-hat-heas18007-238

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I live in a city where no one walks. During the long hot summers, everyone dashed from air conditioned vehicle to building and back. Especially during the work week.

Pimpernel Smith

I live in a city where no one walks. During the long hot summers, everyone dashed from air conditioned vehicle to building and back. Especially during the work week.
Last time I was in Houston I was speaking to one of the hotel staff who had visited Amsterdam and said how weird it was that everyone walked everywhere.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Last time I was in Houston I was speaking to one of the hotel staff who had visited Amsterdam and said how weird it was that everyone walked everywhere.
I honestly see people in the gym covered parking lot cruising for a close spot - so they can go inside to use a treadmill.

If I walk to my local pub alone, I can almost always count on someone stopping to ask if I’m ok, need to borrow a phone or need a lift to the petrol station.

QuandoDio

I honestly see people in the gym covered parking lot cruising for a close spot - so they can go inside to use a treadmill.

If I walk to my local pub alone, I can almost always count on someone stopping to ask if I’m ok, need to borrow a phone or need a lift to the petrol station.
This is crazy!

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
JJ Hat Center is taking 25% off all sales right now. I’m tempted to buy a felt fedora for those winter dashes from the car to the office in the rain.

Enrile

I wear a hat almost all year, especially in summer. My city is very hot, I use Panama (made in Ecuador), it is a delicate hat. For the best 100% cotton beach, this summer buy a stetson

Enrile

For felt there are several qualities. The best is made with badger hair, however the most common is made with rabbit hair and it is really good if it is well made, it is warm but not hot and its touch is magnificent

Enrile

[QUOTE = "Great White Snark, publicación: 233220, miembro: 694"]
Cabello de tejón para brochas de afeitar.
Piel de castor para sombreros.
[/ CITAR]
beaver hair for hay, no leather

Enrile

[QUOTE = "Great White Snark, publicación: 233220, miembro: 694"]
Cabello de tejón para brochas de afeitar.
Piel de castor para sombreros.
[/ CITAR]
pelo de castor para hats, sin cuero

Top Bottom