The HAT thread

Didn't you ever wear a giggle hat/bush hat when you were running about the bush with an SLR?

Indeed. The super short brim of the bush hat doesn’t really block vision like a KFF slouchie. It’s just irritating enough for someone not used to wearing hats that after a few minutes I find my hand creeping up to remove it at first opportunity.

I was thinking about it some more last night as I read about Panama hats and why some are so bloody expensive. Any time I’m just standing around in the sun, it’s likely to be a weekend and I’ll be in a T-shirt or polo and shorts (like taking the kids to the pool). But the hats I see looking good are usually worn with a suit or sports coat.

I’ll probably buy one this summer anyway. Then it will gather dust on a hook by the door because I’ll forget to bring it for the outings it would actually be useful.

I've got a Panama hat which cost a fair amount. I keep it on a hat rack at work and wear it in spring-summer when I'm walking around outside the office.

Around home, or when we go to the beach, park and so on, I have a woven paper hat that I got in Japan some years ago. It look similar to a Panama hat, but is a coarser, slightly looser weave. It's also crushproof, so you can sit on it or just throw it in the back of the car and it will recover without any problems. Mine was cheap, but I've seen absolutely ridiculously expensive versions from places like NMWA, so it certainly pays to look around.

My woven paper hat looks similar to this and cost slightly less: https://www.gazman.com.au/accessories-headwear-paper-braid-safari-hat-heas18007-238

I live in a city where no one walks. During the long hot summers, everyone dashed from air conditioned vehicle to building and back. Especially during the work week.

I live in a city where no one walks. During the long hot summers, everyone dashed from air conditioned vehicle to building and back. Especially during the work week.

Last time I was in Houston I was speaking to one of the hotel staff who had visited Amsterdam and said how weird it was that everyone walked everywhere.

Last time I was in Houston I was speaking to one of the hotel staff who had visited Amsterdam and said how weird it was that everyone walked everywhere.

I honestly see people in the gym covered parking lot cruising for a close spot - so they can go inside to use a treadmill.

If I walk to my local pub alone, I can almost always count on someone stopping to ask if I’m ok, need to borrow a phone or need a lift to the petrol station.

I honestly see people in the gym covered parking lot cruising for a close spot - so they can go inside to use a treadmill.

If I walk to my local pub alone, I can almost always count on someone stopping to ask if I’m ok, need to borrow a phone or need a lift to the petrol station.

This is crazy!

Just realized I have some Amazon credit, so I’m going to get a hat for hanging out at the pool and our summer Lake Tahoe trips.

I like the look of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072P2258C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g6PbDb7TYNNZP

62E6032F-9CDC-4D2B-ADEF-812BA5B472D9.jpeg

But this one is packable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HMZUEKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_76PbDbNH8X2PW

Last edited:
JJ Hat Center is taking 25% off all sales right now. I’m tempted to buy a felt fedora for those winter dashes from the car to the office in the rain.

I wear a hat almost all year, especially in summer. My city is very hot, I use Panama (made in Ecuador), it is a delicate hat. For the best 100% cotton beach, this summer buy a stetson

For felt there are several qualities. The best is made with badger hair, however the most common is made with rabbit hair and it is really good if it is well made, it is warm but not hot and its touch is magnificent

My slouch hat in the army was officially known as a KFF: kangaroo fur felt.

For felt there are several qualities. The best is made with badger hair, however the most common is made with rabbit hair and it is really good if it is well made, it is warm but not hot and its touch is magnificent
Badger hair for shaving brushes.
Beaver fur for hats.

[QUOTE = "Great White Snark, publicación: 233220, miembro: 694"]
Cabello de tejón para brochas de afeitar.
Piel de castor para sombreros.
[/ CITAR]
beaver hair for hay, no leather

[QUOTE = "Great White Snark, publicación: 233220, miembro: 694"]
Cabello de tejón para brochas de afeitar.
Piel de castor para sombreros.
[/ CITAR]
pelo de castor para hats, sin cuero

JJ Hat Center is doing 20% off. I may buy a winter fedora or a tweed flat cap that I’ll hardly wear.

I do get a lot of wear out of my wool watch cap, when I’m outdoors. But as much as I like the look of the dressier winter hats, I just don’t have the need for them.

I’ve packed away my old watch cap somewhere and can’t find it. It was a soft cashmere that was nicely fitted, rugged but not too thick/warm.

Seems like a good excuse to get a new one (new color, not navy). But most of what I’m seeing looks to be (a) scratchy cheap army surplus store Chinese junk (b) cosplay fedora lounge re-enactment Buzz Rickson authentic 1941 style lice included and (c) possible too big and beanie like hipster ski bum tea cozy.

Last edited:
Never mind umbrellas and hats I love the idea of a plastic cover for your hat. Very Orthodox Jewish.

Also like those Jewish hats like millstones. Never saw one in Hatton Garden, but apparently they are for special occasions.

I’ve packed away my old watch cap somewhere and can’t find it. It was a soft cashmere that was nicely fitted, rugged but not too thick/warm.

I bought one of these from our old mate HenryC some years ago, before he left the menswear business and started a landscaping business:

Mine's in an indigo blue Donegal fleck, which is very nice. Quite a bit less expensive than they are now, too.

I bought one of these from our old mate HenryC some years ago, before he left the menswear business and started a landscaping business:

Mine's in an indigo blue Donegal fleck, which is very nice. Quite a bit less expensive than they are now, too.

That’s a lot like the one I have (somewhere packed away).

I do like the look of a watch cap, rather than a floppy beanie, but I’m not sure how much of the difference is just the way it’s folded.

I think it is about time we had a hat thread. As i've gotten older l definitely found the need for a variety of hats, some to protect from cold, one to protect from rain and others to protect from the sun. I also find that as i've gotten older my natural colour contrast is a lot less, so a hat on top would probably work to improve a number of issues.

Can't get really good quality local hats, so online is the only option.

What l am really thinking about is getting some more Panama hats and trying a few Trilby hats to wear with smart tailored clothing. I am liking the idea of bespoke hats from Art Fawcett, has anyone bought from him?

Definitely want some quality hats, but not crazy expensive either. I also need to figure out if a Trilby works for me.

Anyone got suggestions of who to buy quality hats from?
Tell us what hats you own, where they are made, the quality and what you use them for??

Nice thread, it was time to have something about hats.
I don't get why you prefer the trilby to the fedora, that is more classic and classy in my opinion, whereas the trilby is casual and trendy.
Moreover the panama is also a fedora (some cases excluded) essentially.

I have only fedoras from Borsalino, one is this "The Bogart Cut1":
20210423_112443.jpg

Nice thread, it was time to have something about hats.
I don't get why you prefer the trilby to the fedora, that is more classic and classy in my opinion, whereas the trilby is casual and trendy.
I always loved the Trilby that local older men always wore at the local race courses with their traditional suits, it looked manly and well put together. Many of the fedora guys didn't look nearly as good, and they looked like that guying wearing the hat...slightly awkward.

Then again, in most people's eyes we are probably `the guy in the hat', but quite frankly l don't care. I want to do what l want to do, and to heck what anyone thinks. I will try a fedora and see what it looks like on me.

What matters is that it looks good. When l wear hats l forget l have them on, so it is a good starting point for being able to pull them off. No point being self conscious. I make some of these comments because l know these are issues often discussed on forums.

Moreover the panama is also a fedora (some cases excluded) essentially.

Yes, but l find more people can pull off a panama than a fedora.
I have only fedoras from Borsalino, one is this "The Bogart Cut1":
View attachment 37098

Some guys can pull them off. Could l?...hmm, not so sure. Could l pull a Trilby off?...probably, I get the feeling l could. Actually l have a cheap Trilby in the back of the closet somewhere, it makes me feel good because l know l could pull it off if it is done right. All this fear of wearing hats is silly, they definitely serve a function.

I will drop into the hat shop tomorrow and try a few hats to see what works.

Last edited:
Above is one of my Panama's and a Toyo in blue. I do plan to get a few more hat's in either Milan, Buntal or Raffia.

I have been thinking of driving up to Castlemaine (2 hours drive) and visiting this place and special ordering some panama hats with different coloured hats bands like these, would like to order a montecristi. I was up that way last week.
Camilo panama hat.jpg

Panama Panama I am not really into the narrow brimmed panamas. If l am going to do a panama it needs to be a wide brim.

Here is my panama. Bought it from the local hat shop, but it comes from that company above. It is only a basic model. Would be nice to own a top of the range montecristi, but l don't want to spend $80,000 US on a straw hat.
Hat 1.jpg

Btw, my Lock flat cap came in today. It reached Australia from London within a day, and took another 2 days to arrive to me. Fastest shipping ever. The hat is decent, but would be better priced if it was half the price IMO.
Lock flat cap - navy felt.jpg

I've never had the guts to try a boater, but l am thinking about it. I imagine l could pull it off after a few wears. I definitely have the clothes to do it. Have wanted to wear a boater all my life, always liked the style. Would have to get used to the idea of lots of eyes looking.

Boater hat.jpg

I've never had the guts to try a boater, but l am thinking about it. I imagine l could pull it off after a few wears. I definitely have the clothes to do it. Have wanted to wear a boater all my life, always liked the style. Would have to get used to the idea of lots of eyes looking.

View attachment 37115
You will have to learn how to play jazz.

You will have to learn how to play jazz.

or sell ice cream.

Men and their top hats. Such a great look back in the day. It's a hat for the upper classes....oozes status and wealth. If you wore white tie with a top hat you'd feel like a King, would be great to experience it.
Top hats 1.jpg Top hats 2.jpg

Royal family top hats.jpg

The Shooman The Shooman

Would have to get used to the idea of lots of eyes looking.
Well, you should, if you want to try that style, but it's possibly worth it for you. It's an attitude matter, whether you feel natural and comfortable with a certain style. Personally I'd prefer a panama.

Well, you should, if you want to try that style, but it's possibly worth it for you. It's an attitude matter, whether you feel natural and comfortable with a certain style. Personally I'd prefer a panama.

Yes, l was just looking at these pictures. It is all about attitude.

Three people who can't pull them off. No attitude.
Boater guys 3.jpg Boater guys 8.jpg Boater guys 9.png

6 people who can pull boater hats off. Relaxed and comfortable, and some with real attitude.
Boaters and guys 2.jpg Boater guys 4.jpg Boater guys 5.jpg Boaters and guys 1.jpg

Mr Attitude
Boater guys 7.jpg

The girls can pull them off.
Boater guys 6.jpg

A bad advert for boater hats.
Boater guy advert.jpg

Yes, l was just looking at these pictures. It is all about attitude.

Three people who can't pull them off. No attitude.
View attachment 37122View attachment 37128View attachment 37129

6 people who can pull boater hats off. Relaxed and comfortable, and some with real attitude.
View attachment 37121View attachment 37123View attachment 37125View attachment 37120

Mr Attitude
View attachment 37127

The girls can pull them off.
View attachment 37126

A bad advert for boater hats.
View attachment 37130
For a woman, I think, it's easier, even with the most extravagant styles.
You should try the boater and see and feel if it suits you. it's a nice option to have, but you have to be sure you can pull it off.

or sell ice cream.

Men and their top hats. Such a great look back in the day. It's a hat for the upper classes....oozes status and wealth. If you wore white tie with a top hat you'd feel like a King, would be great to experience it.
View attachment 37116View attachment 37117

View attachment 37118
The top hat is undoubtedly very elegant, but you wouldn't use it so often, outside marriages, funerals and perhaps horse races (also hardly).
Some garments, though elegant and attractive, are very difficult to wear nowadays without risking to look odd and eccentric. Moreover a top hat has to be worn with the right suit and both are extremely formal, so anything but versatile.

A nice hat that a contemporary gentleman could rediscover is the Homburg, an almost disappeared classic. I find it very elegant, more formal than the Fedora, but still wearable in the most situations, unlike the top hat. Of course you still have to wear a distinguished style, as the hat is not suitable with a casual or a sporty look.
Beaver_Brand_Homburg_3__78731.1606524987.450.450.jpg
Homburg-hat-Florence-The-Journal-of-Style.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg

The former Prime Minister Anthony Eden wore this style:
3618577661_4fd0512ed2_n.jpg
TELEMMGLPICT000177988056_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq4pMfrV-RSTIA7fVWQIDcMo4wvgJyvov0Xwqxe1TlSy4.jpeg
PJAN7E.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom