Hidden Button Down Collars

Russell Street

King Of The Trolls
Supporter
This is something that I've seen, usually on higher-end RTW sport shirts, but have no firsthand experience with. Are they to be treated like any other button-down? I want to say that I've seen them available on dress shirts too. I'd think that would look odd; is this normal, unusual, bizarre?

I've had some in the past both with an actual button and some with snaps on both casual and dress shirts.

I would not choose them now for a dress shirt for the same reason I don't choose regular button downs.

I can see them being of value if one were wearing a sweater to keep the collar confined and if you wanted to not have buttons showing.

How would an iGent communicate the Sprezz of an unbuttoned hidden button down collar?

I don't think they are patently wrong. If they achieve a purpose then by all means use them. People use a tie bar/pin the achieve a stable relationship between collar and tie knot so is this any different? Sans tie it keeps things neat in term of a collar staying put.

I figured they were for that breezy open collar look (as opposed to the more restrained button-down) but without the tendency to flay out into disco collar disarray.

They are fat & wearing a Panama hat the collar strain from their corpulence will impart Sprezz negating the need for hidden buttons

So I figured upper-middle class casual clothing for fatties, Tommy Bahama, would get me some useful images.

Ah hell, I'll hotlink this crap. That breezy open collar, and the dang collar is uneven and lifting.
1401221929714.jpg

I must say that this look pretty bad with a tie. The loose soft straight collar that I've posted about previously, complete with lifting points, would look better.
1401395144539.jpg

Or it could just be that Windsor knot to blame.

Like in the other thread, i have some and they are great imo if you dont wear suits, just shirt and slacks. Very casual imo. Its a pain in the ass though sometimes when you wash them and forget to unbotton them.

why not just wear an ordinary button down? Do you not like them?

Should I go with band collars instead?:thinkingtroll:
How do you keep the collar from flapping in your face while playing polo?

Ya, personally not so much into the button down. Nothing a pair of good collar stays can't solve to preserve that nice roll.

FriendCustomer FriendCustomer wears shirts with a hidden magnet to keep the collar points in place

good due diligence. I've been exposed. are you working with mararoo, walker, marta foulds or alfanuts on a FC take down???

in addition to holding collar points in place I use the magnets to magnitize the mechanical watches of my enemies and/or fake tailors.

Last edited:
good due diligence. I've been exposed. are you workign with mararoo, walker, marta foulds or alfanuts on a FC take down???

in addition to holding collar points in place I use the magnets to magnitize the mechanical watches of my enemies and/or fake tailors.

I KNOW WHO FC IS
YOU EASTERN EUROPEAN PRINCE

I've got a bunch of hidden button shirts. All been long relegated to manual work shirts - building sites, gardening etc.
I prefer your actually button downs with button holes for smart casual. Or even casual casual.

Except for a moderate selection of semi spread for suits and ties all my shirts are BDs.
I never wear a non tie shirt that isn't button down except for a few linens I have.
Never wear anything but button downs sans ties.
Never wear a button down with a suit. Although occasionally with my linen suits.
These are my rules but perhaps everyone should obey them.
The world would be a better place.

on BD collars, is there a face shape that they are reputed to flatter the most and vice versa?

That whole faceshape /collar theory has never jibed for me. I've spent a lot of time staring at men to see if it works. I tend to think it's nonsense. Same with much of that colour /seasons theory that some women's books/stylists proffer.

Not only do I spend time staring at men I dress a lot of men too. Can't say much of the theories work.
Don't think much of Flussers face high low contrast or whatever he calls it either.

I would say that button downs with proper sized collars/roll do not work as well with no-neck's like me unless I catch the collar under my ear lobes to keep it from flattening out

I would say that button downs with proper sized collars/roll do not work as well with no-neck's like me unless I catch the collar under my ear lobes to keep it from flattening out

lts face it. there isnt really much that works on you very well

The visible button and buttonhole is a necessary evil IMHO, and the hidden variant makes it unnecessary. Of course it's less convenient too, I imagine.

Super PITA to button and easy to forget until someone at work says, "hey, what's thet button doing on your shirt? Weird...."

The counterpoint is that band collars look bad on us turtle knecks - unless it is so long and stiff that I look like a Disney villain.

Unbottoned, collars that roll nicely (this seems to have to do with the length of the points, at least partly), when unbottoned, do tend to make my already thick neck wider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom