Home Decorating, Renovations & Remodeling

Should see the multiple rats nests I have to deal with for audio, no wall mounting will work since certain front end cables have to be kept short and components, power supplies separated to reduce EMF interference.

Should see the multiple rats nests I have to deal with for audio, no wall mounting will work since certain front end cables have to be kept short and components, power supplies separated to reduce EMF interference.
Plus all the styrofoam cups to elevate your speaker cables.

Plus all the styrofoam cups to elevate your speaker cables.

Goddamn that thread was gold (just like the little cones that SF audiophiles like to use to support their turntables).

I haven't read it for years and unfortunately Artisan Fan doesn't seem to be posting on SF anymore.

Goddamn that thread was gold (just like the little cones that SF audiophiles like to use to support their turntables).

I haven't read it for years and unfortunately Artisan Fan doesn't seem to be posting on SF anymore.

Foo used cups to lift cables off the floor? I need to check out SF's audio threads.

Read over 25 pages of SF audiophile threads and literally nothing of bespoke quality to speak of.

Simple Rules of Thumb for Decorating Your Walls 

1355406329526172996.jpg

I've got 3 artists in the family - plus their friends are artists too. I don't have a square inch of free wall anywhere - we have paintings in toilet, laundry etc

I've got 3 artists in the family - plus their friends are artists too. I don't have a square inch of free wall anywhere - we have paintings in toilet, laundry etc

Want to do an art swap? I got a friend from high school who is slightly, shall we say, prolific.

What do you guys think of this - I'm trying to mount an over the stove microwave. This cabinet has a reveal under it. It's roughly 7/8" deep, which is going to make using plywood a real bitch. And I don't think having a gap to mount it under the cabinet is a great idea.

image.jpg

Why would you try to mount a microwave over your stove? Isn't that just asking for trouble with condensation and so on? I would have thought that the more room you have over your stove, the better.

What do you guys think of this - I'm trying to mount an over the stove microwave. This cabinet has a reveal under it. It's roughly 7/8" deep, which is going to make using plywood a real bitch. And I don't think having a gap to mount it under the cabinet is a great idea.

View attachment 7472

I recommend ditching the microwave, I haven't had one in years. But that notwithstanding, have you looked into the rear flush mounts?

Why would you try to mount a microwave over your stove? Isn't that just asking for trouble with condensation and so on? I would have thought that the more room you have over your stove, the better.

It's a pretty common arrangement here in the states. Not that it makes sense.

I recommend ditching the microwave, I haven't had one in years. But that notwithstanding, have you looked into the rear flush mounts?
Not gonna happen. Its for old people. They have to reheat their leftovers somehow. I don't think I've ever seen a rear mount before. With that space I don't know how that would work.

It has an exhaust fan in the bottom. For people who don't cook with tons of smoke, and don't have a lot of counter space, its a wonderful thing. Very common here in the states.

rambo - I've no idea based on that picture what the hell you are doing - is it possible to describe a bit more. I don't think I've seen a microwave over a stove. Is it just over an oven or stovetop? Wouldn't the microwave be a bit high to reach conveniently?

I know lots of people who don't have a microwave. I also know a lot who use a microwave for nearly everything. Mind you the latter are people who think heating something up is cooking.

When our old MW blew up* I did an audit^^ of how we used it and then went out and got a very small generic MW for $50. Microwaves have now joined the cluster of cheap throwaway goods. We use it to reheat soup, reheat some already cooked meals and I use it to pre-heat roast vegetables. Ms fxh uses it to heat up milk for hot chocolate. Thats about it.

A small microwave takes up very little space - bet you never thought that. - might be a solution for your project.

*hyperbole - it just stopped working.
^^grandiose term for thinking about it for 30 seconds.

rambo - I've no idea based on that picture what the hell you are doing - is it possible to describe a bit more. I don't think I've seen a microwave over a stove. Is it just over an oven or stovetop? Wouldn't the microwave be a bit high to reach conveniently?
installing_over_the_range_microwave_microwave_over_range_-_kitchen_consumer_-_egullet_forums.jpg

Over-The-Range-Microwave.jpg

OK. Seems a bit weird to me. Funny spot to put it. Still we are talking about Americans aren't we. They are funny in the kitchen/food etc. I remember visiting someone in Texas who said a lengthy grace before a meal of Kentucky Fried takeaway grease and then said "You Australians are a bit like the English - you love tea don't you"? - Well Yes said I.

She then proceeded to get a huge jug of freezing water out of the huge fridge and spoon about 20 spoons of dusty powder into it from a tin marked TEA and about 10 spoons of sugar - then she mixed it up and poured me a huge glass. I managed to drink most of it without gagging and also managed to refuse many offers to refill. It still rates as one of the most disgusting drinks I've ever had.

Anyway my microwave is about 20% the size of that and sits near the toaster on the bench. In the top pic I'd buy a small MW and whack it in between the stove and toaster thingo. Problem fixed.

These days we even have jugs of sweet tea, premade. Even better than the dusty powder stuff.
We had an over-the range microwave in the last house, this house is open-kitchen so we bought the same one we had earlier and set it in a cubby.

R- I wouldn't be concerned about the reveal or the gaps - based on our unit, there should be a mounting plate that attaches to the wall behind the microwave, which is the primary support. The bolts that go through the top function more like hangers - gaps shouldn't matter.

R- I wouldn't be concerned about the reveal or the gaps - based on our unit, there should be a mounting plate that attaches to the wall behind the microwave, which is the primary support. The bolts that go through the top function more like hangers - gaps shouldn't matter.

This is what I was referring to.

I still say ditch the microwave though. If you want to heat something up, put it in a saucepan on the stove or throw it in the oven. Takes like 5-10 minutes tops.

And the real reason I'm posting in this thread tonight, fuck people who run switch loops and don't mark the white as hot. I'm mean serious, fuck them.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Thought I would post a kitchen island I made a couple of years ago. Found a great piece of bubinga wood at a local wood shop just sitting in the back. Did nothing but polish and seal it. Affixed it to a simple frame. Pickled the wood.

Thats very nice thruth - I like it. Never heard of bubinga* - a hardwood I guess - is that just one slice?

* is that a Russian Grandmother?

Thats very nice thruth - I like it. Never heard of bubinga* - a hardwood I guess - is that just one slice?

* is that a Russian Grandmother?

it is just one slice. it was just standing against the wall of the back room of the shop where they keep their exotic woods.

*close babushka or baba

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom