Home Decorating, Renovations & Remodeling

Understatement of the year. Hope you didn't spend too much money on it.

Quite inexpensive. Got the sink in Mexico when i was in Arizona to pick up a vehicle.

Wood vanity was reclaimed from the property. Same for the base.

I realize it is not very Euro-centric or very Engrish like your adopted home. But I can do what I want 'cause I own the joint and don't have to sleep is some landlord's bed.

Quite inexpensive. Got the sink in Mexico when i was in Arizona to pick up a vehicle.

Wood vanity was reclaimed from the property. Same for the base.

I realize it is not very Euro-centric or very Engrish like your adopted home. But I can do what I want 'cause I own the joint and don't have to sleep is some landlord's bed.

Makes me wonder what the rest of your house looks like

There are plenty of pics in this thread. Weird tree sink aside, it's pretty fucking neat.

Yeah, the houses aren't but it is all about the land Monkeyface Monkeyface

My Baba always used to tell me "Slawko, a man is nothing without land" she said nothing about houses

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Request for info: Any simple test to tell if something is galvanised or zincalume?
I'm pretty sure my roof - channel - flat - is galvanised and some new flashing is zincalume.
I don't want to two touching to avoid a reaction -

Any home hack to tell for sure what is what?

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to do flashing without going crazy - I'll have a flexible silcone cone/boot thingo over the flue and flue has to be triple skin through ceiling - (I had a workshop make up the third skin - in inches - trouble is its old but near new fire and flue and its in inches - everything now off the shelf is in .metric)- I think I've got it thought through - but any pointers would be useful.

Roof channel is similar profile to this
Longline 305.png

I'l have to cut through a ridge - I'm told not to use a angle grinder as it will leave metal fragments all over roof that will be microscopic and that will rust.

For info - I'm putting in a Beaten/Hammered copper fireplace 70s - like this one below - mines in near new condition. It took me weeks to track down any copper pop rivets in Melbourne.

$_20 (1).JPG
$_20 (2).JPG
$_20 (3).JPG

Last edited:
Request for info: Any simple test to tell if something is galvanised or zincalume?
I'm pretty sure my roof - channel - flat - is galvanised and some new flashing is zincalume.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to do flashing without going crazy - I'll have a flexible silcone cone/boot thingo over the flue and flue has to be triple skin through ceiling - (I had a workshop make up the third skin - in inches - trouble is its old but near new fire and flue and its in inches - everything now off the shelf is in .metric)- I think I've got it thought through - but any pointers would be useful.

I understood everything up until the word "is."

Roof channel is similar profile to this
View attachment 16476

I'l have to cut through a ridge - I'm told not to use a angle grinder as it will leave metal fragments all over roof that will be microscopic and that will rust.

For info - I'm putting in a Beaten/Hammered copper fireplace 70s - like this one below - mines in near new condition. It took me weeks to track down any copper pop rivets in Melbourne.

View attachment 16477 View attachment 16478 View attachment 16479

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you unless I was able to see in person. Galvanized is usually darker and flatter than zinc alloy. I'd say tap it because galvanised gives a duller response than zinc, but given you are talking about very different thicknesses I don't know. I am not sure i have seen galvanised flashing fwiw.

of course the angle grinder. i meant the things of substance. no idea what a pop rivet is. i know what a regular rivet is.

whew

How have you know what a regular rivet is but not a pop rivet? Pop rivets have to outnumber regular rivets these days like 10,000 to 1. Can't even think of the last place I saw a regular rivet, maybe steering box on an old truck.

Thanks doggie - from what I can was told over the weekend - gal is a bit duller - greyer AND has bigger quartz like patterns and zincalume is shinier and has the smaller patterns

I was hoping there'd be some simple quick and easy home chemical test - I dunno - say putting vinegar on one or something that might be definite.

Sometimes - just sometimes - I think I'm an idiot. I always think I'm too old school with building.
But.
A roof plumbing bloke said: - " I know - why don't you go old skool - old man - and just use a bit of lead sheeting"

WTF?
Spot on and it's only $60 for 600 X 600 cm, no reactions, easy to work with - in fact better than easy to work with. It's so easy you can cut and bend it with your dick. Its easy peasy.

Now - why didn't I think of that.

doom - old bowtie chappie - you got a fair few f'ckin angles and crazy joints there mate.

Looking at the weather forecast all week.
No rain for Saturday (today).
Big plans - mate to come over early and we'll start on fireplace , hole in roof chimney flue, flashing etc.
Last night around 6pm - weather forecast begins to change. Light showers /drizzle.
We soldier on - it might clear up and blow over.
Nope.
More rain tomorrow?
Current state of back room.
1.jpg
3.jpg

Outside
2.jpg

so far -it s just sitting there held by the boot. It has to have 2 x skins inside it and come up about 1 metre above roof line. Plus it has to allow inside fireplace flue - 2 x skins to be vertical on 360 degrees and also go back far enough near wall. Tolerances aaahhhhhh
IMG_20160606_122054.jpg

Last edited:
Finishing the patio / beergarden this weekend. This corner has been sitting undone forever. I cleared the old gravel off, leveled it, poured and leveled the utility sand, set and tamped the stones, and broomed in 5/8" crushed rock to lock it. It needs a few more buckets of crushed rock toward the driveway (bottom of the picture) but that's an easy fix. I'll do that tomorrow.

The dog pulled overwatch, as you can see.

Once the rain lets up we're going to plant thyme in the bigger gaps. The idea is to have these larger, organic-looking stones as a transition between the finished-look patio and the gravel driveway. The final step will be staining the concrete pad and setting a stone step at the front door.

Overwatch.jpg

Patio Beauty Shot.jpg

where are good sources of reviews on contractors outside of angies list (bad) and home advisor (worse)?

working on the roof repair now. the guys from angies list used these light grey shingles where ours are more medium grey and it looks like the roof has a silver patch now. fucking people. next up i need to have painters and knockdown guys in.

where are good sources of reviews on contractors outside of angies list (bad) and home advisor (worse)?

working on the roof repair now. the guys from angies list used these light grey shingles where ours are more medium grey and it looks like the roof has a silver patch now. fucking people. next up i need to have painters and knockdown guys in.

There's no good answer for this. Unless you know established people you trust it's just a crap shoot.

There's no good answer for this. Unless you know established people you trust it's just a crap shoot.
Oh I know. I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if you people had any good suggestions. A guy I know suggested the chamber of commerce, but they tend to deal with big money contractors rather than little guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom