Home Decorating, Renovations & Remodeling

The hydro baseboard systems are bloody expensive to run on gas plus they can make a lot of room space unusable. But it's a nice heat.

doghouse doghouse - sign for your business.
22050202_1961922474096243_2262279225627093755_n.jpg

Anyone in this thread know about tile? Specifically bathroom tile?

Also patching exterior stucco. What do I use for that?

Last edited:
As doggie said - what is the tile issue?

What's the problem with the stucco - is it just a few holes here and there or is it all getting drummy and loose behind?

What about tile specifically

As doggie said - what is the tile issue?

What's the problem with the stucco - is it just a few holes here and there or is it all getting drummy and loose behind?

stucco - a few holes. had to take down a hose holder and put up a new one in a different spot.

tile - the floor of the shower is going to need to be redone. it was never finished properly, has an angle that doesn't drain the water properly, and a the grout in the seam between the wall and floor has washed completely away and its taking on water. the tiles are raising up on the floor and there are bugs (black worms and an occasional mosquito).

stucco - a few holes. had to take down a hose holder and put up a new one in a different spot.

tile - the floor of the shower is going to need to be redone. it was never finished properly, has an angle that doesn't drain the water properly, and a the grout in the seam between the wall and floor has washed completely away and its taking on water. the tiles are raising up on the floor and there are bugs (black worms and an occasional mosquito).

Tiling is very straight forward. Just grab a book from Lowes and go nuts.

It's funny you post this, I was just talking last night with the John Deere rep about when we will see automated bulldozers.

Tiling is very straight forward. Just grab a book from Lowes and go nuts.

It's funny you post this, I was just talking last night with the John Deere rep about when we will see automated bulldozers.
It’s not so much the putting tile down it’s the slope of the floor and the grouting

It’s not so much the putting tile down it’s the slope of the floor and the grouting

Grouting is a cinch. Slap it in there, then sponge it down. As far as the slope, it's not super scientific. Mostly just make sure you have a straight edge so there aren't any wobbles.

Grouting is a cinch. Slap it in there, then sponge it down. As far as the slope, it's not super scientific. Mostly just make sure you have a straight edge so there aren't any wobbles.

I dunno - badly done bathroom/shower floors are a real pain - they can let water seep into the floor and walls and stumps The trouble is - depending on the type of place you have - you often can't tell if water etc is leaking until major issues arise.

Sometimes its better to rip up the shower and start again - and do it properly with a waterproof membrane underneath etc. Again depending - it might be better - and cheaper to rip it up and replace with an all in one moulded plastic shower base - they don't leak and are easily put in. With the slope its better for drainage to have a decent slope but better for standing (and safety) to have a minimal slope. Like life its a compromise. The actual slope around the hole isn't as important as is having ALL the outside edges higher. That is its best to put you biggest slope at the edges and go flatter toward the drain hole than vice versa. Of course if you need a flat entrance for a wheel chair or such - always a good idea - then there are different issues.

As doggie said grouting is easy but make sure there are no sharp - or even semi sharp - edges because in the shower your full weight is on the feet and water makes skin extremely vulnerable to cuts etc. Also make sure tiles aren't too shiney and slipery. Slipping in shower is a major cause of hip, leg and knee hospital admissions/breaks etc. Put in grab rails - you can get ones disguised as shower head things etc

As far as stucco goes - just grab some cement and make up a stiff mix and slap it on with a trowel. I'm guessing they even have special mixes ready made these days. Depends whats underneath - it in theory - needs something to hold onto - old school was a wire mesh - nowadays they just whack up that 4" or 6" foam slabs and plonk the stucco on that. If you need a non smooth finish to match the rest - it will be either "broomed" or "bagged" - if existing is broomed then just run a broom in circles over it as it dries or if its bagged just get a wet Hessian bag and rub it over. The hardest part is matching colour - if its coloured- you need to match as well as you can and put the colour in the mix before you put it on.

Legal Disclaimer:: I know 2/5th of SFA about how they do things in USA

talk to me about adding in gfci outlets. i want to add in one 20 amp to each bathroom and run them both off the same 20amp breaker. anyone have a good how-to guide for this or can walk me through it step by step?

talk to me about adding in gfci outlets. i want to add in one 20 amp to each bathroom and run them both off the same 20amp breaker. anyone have a good how-to guide for this or can walk me through it step by step?
My BiL is a Sparkie. He alway says: " Do your own plumbing - things go wrong - worst thing is you get wet. Do your own electrical work - your house burns down or you die with even a small mistake"

My BiL is a Sparkie. He alway says: " Do your own plumbing - things go wrong - worst thing is you get wet. Do your own electrical work - your house burns down or you die with even a small mistake"
So can you ask him what to do?

I don’t know if it’s the lower voltage, the lack of regulation and unions or a cultural thing here- but I’m always shocked at how many Americans do their own electrical work. Also most plumbers here will also offer to do your electrical work.

You have the 20 amp breaker servicing the bathrooms already?

Are you swapping out a standard outlet for a GFCI or adding it as an extra one on the circuit?

I don’t know if it’s the lower voltage, the lack of regulation and unions or a cultural thing here- but I’m always shocked at how many Americans do their own electrical work. Also most plumbers here will also offer to do your electrical work.
It was my impression than people in USA do a lot of their own sparkie work. So you see it too. Must be less regulations.

d3b0d7ba8d384bd9fb18034e7a767307a5955770c267d242244469ba29d7a7bb.jpg

I’m going to paint the gutters, door frames, exterior trim, etc. I like both these colours and can’t decide
F227A122-97AF-4A30-A017-A3D87FC7CB16.jpeg

Depends on the rest of the place. Grey is the IN colour here in housing, grey inside, grey tables, chairs, bedroom linen and also outside on newer houses. I can see it looking very dated 2016/17 very soon. Plus objectively its not great in big areas.

Irl, it’s pretty blue - less grey. I may end up flipping a coin. I like them both!

SMH for green. What gives?

fxh fxh will recognize that I'm thinking trad Aussie Federation colour scheme with the green.

Federation_hi_res.jpg

Last edited:
Its been a pretty hot and dry summer and the back garden is struggling. We don't really water in summer except for a few new plants and pots. Its best to just have stuff that survives without any artificial watering. The front garden gets a bit more watering. Soon it will be Autumn and the vine leaves will turn red then fall down. Then I have to fix up pergola that half collapsed in a storm due to rot and its now propped up with a few temporary poles and fixes.
2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom